CD-Writer refusing to read any CD...

Old July 16th 03, 02:46 PM
Michael

Default CD-Writer refusing to read any CD...

Hi, I have an A-Open 40x CD-Writer that has suddenly stopped reading
any of my CDs. When I put a CD in the drive, the read light flickers
and flickers but nothing happens.

Nero also refuses to recognise any of my blank CDs. Normally, Windows
XP would pop up with a message saying that I have inserted a blank cd
but this no longer happens.

I've heard that it could be a problem with the writer's lens. I'm not
sure whether to buy a new writer or to try fixing it..

How would I go about cleaning the lens of the writer?

Thanks,

Michael
Old July 16th 03, 05:58 PM
Bigbear

Sounds like a tanked CD-RW. I had a similar problem twice, on the same
machine. One was the RW the other was the DVD. I replaced both and haven't
had a problem since? You might try a can of compressed air to blow off the
lens. I think they also have some disk writer cleaning kits. These
probably waste your time and money tho. More than likely you need a new
unit.

om...

Old July 17th 03, 08:17 AM
Ben

sounds like the cdrw is up the spout as bigbear says
but you should try blowing it out AND try a differant ide cable too. when
you put a disk in can you hear it spin up ? if not, the motors duff.

om...

Old July 17th 03, 08:24 AM
AD C

Michael wrote:
Hi, I have an A-Open 40x CD-Writer that has suddenly stopped reading
any of my CDs. When I put a CD in the drive, the read light flickers
and flickers but nothing happens.

Nero also refuses to recognise any of my blank CDs. Normally, Windows
XP would pop up with a message saying that I have inserted a blank cd
but this no longer happens.

I've heard that it could be a problem with the writer's lens. I'm not
sure whether to buy a new writer or to try fixing it..

How would I go about cleaning the lens of the writer?

You can try and take it apart and clean the lens with a very soft cloth,
but I doubt it will work.

It sounds like the drive have had its day. They do not make them like
they did. I got a 8 speed cd rom in the drawer and it still works, great
for a spare.

Old July 18th 03, 12:42 PM
Michael

Hi, I'm not sure where to purchase compressed air. I got some
cd/lens/glass/ cleaning spray from a music store...I was wondering if
I could spray the lens with that and wipe it with a cloth?

Is it pretty simple to open up the writer?

Also, if I were to use a cd-lens-cleaning kit...which one would be
better, the dry-type or the wet-type? But I'm worried that the drive
won't even read a lens-cleaning cd.

Michael

"DaveW" wrote in message news:qFGRa.85334$H17.26576@sccrnsc02...
Use canned air.

--
DaveW

om...

Old July 18th 03, 01:05 PM
Franklin

If you have to BUY something to try and fix the CDWriter, save you money and
get a new drive instead.

They are dirt cheap. Why spend $12 for a CD Cleaner that most likely won't
make a bit of difference when for $50 you can get a new burner?

om...

"DaveW" wrote in message

Use canned air.

--