Overlocking a Sempron 3000+? SkT A

Old September 15th 05, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Patrick Beaugrand

Default Overlocking a Sempron 3000+? SkT A

Hey everyone Ive got a Sempron 3000+ at 2.0 GHZ..i dunno if its 64 bit or
not but its socket A and runs fairly well from my old athlon xp 2400+
I was wondering if anyone knows how well this overclocks..my current mobo
doesnt support anything near to overclocking but i may buy a new mobo soon
to overclock if its worth it.
Anyone tried or any ideas?...

Also how good is this 3000+ compared to a pentium 4 3.0 with HT....
Ive got windows xp pro sp/1 and a 256 MB Radeon 9600 AGP

Thanks,
Patrick

Old September 15th 05, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:32:18 +0000, Patrick Beaugrand wrote:

Hey everyone Ive got a Sempron 3000+ at 2.0 GHZ..i dunno if its 64 bit or
not but its socket A and runs fairly well from my old athlon xp 2400+
I was wondering if anyone knows how well this overclocks..my current mobo
doesnt support anything near to overclocking but i may buy a new mobo soon
to overclock if its worth it.
Anyone tried or any ideas?...

Your Sempron 3000+ is the exact same as a 2700+ XP Barton core. Exactly.
If you can raise the FSB, then do that to overclock it. I certainly
wouldn't waste my money on a new MB for it. Socket A is dead. AMD doesn't
even list any on their new price sheets IIRC. All socket A's are 32bit.
There is no 64 bit for it. If you want to overclock it, raise FSB and
vcore accordingly.

Also how good is this 3000+ compared to a pentium 4 3.0 with HT....
Ive got windows xp pro sp/1 and a 256 MB Radeon 9600 AGP

The Sempron ratings are for comparison to the new Celeron D's. It would
compare to a 2.7GHz P4 the same as the 2700+XP since that's really what it
is, with a new name and Sempron rating.

Old September 15th 05, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
tod

Which make and model motherboard do you have?
Adding more memory will help performance.
What type of memory is in there now?

. ..

Old September 16th 05, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Herman Tibbs

Patrick Beaugrand wrote:
Hey everyone Ive got a Sempron 3000+ at 2.0 GHZ..i dunno if its 64 bit or
not but its socket A and runs fairly well from my old athlon xp 2400+
I was wondering if anyone knows how well this overclocks..my current mobo
doesnt support anything near to overclocking but i may buy a new mobo soon
to overclock if its worth it.
Anyone tried or any ideas?...

Also how good is this 3000+ compared to a pentium 4 3.0 with HT....
Ive got windows xp pro sp/1 and a 256 MB Radeon 9600 AGP

Thanks,
Patrick

First of all, the cheapest performance upgrade is to add memory. Your
video card is fine. I am running the same one and it works great for a
combination of gaming and video/graphics design. Think of taking a
Celeron processor and making it a 64 bit CPU. That is what you have in
the AMD class.

Second, you are more than likely running a Socket 754 motherboard. If
that is the case, consider changing to an Athlon 64. You can still find
the 2800 for a reasonable price. It runs at 1.8GHZ and does a great job
in my applications (although I would like to have an Athlon 64 3700).

If you want to compete with the P4 processors, you need to go to the
Athlon 64 of a higher class and not worry about overclocking.

I build machines professionally and can tell you from experience that a
new Athlon 64 will give you what you are looking for. By the time you
supply the necessary cooling modifications (preferably water cooling),
you could have bought a decent processor for that board and then some.

To compare your Sempron to a P4 would be like comparing a car with a 4
cylinder to the same thing with a high output V6.