How much is this setup worth..?

Old August 23rd 05, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

Default How much is this setup worth..?

I just upgraded my computer, and a friend of mine with very basic
word-processing needs wants to buy my old one. I'm looking for some
recommendation on what to charge him for it.

One thing worth mentioning here is that this friend sold me his car two
years ago, and didn't give me anykind of special "friend" deal on it. He
charged me the most he could ask for for the vehicle without cheating or
stealing. Let's call it fair, but upper-range fair.

That said, I will return the favor. I don't want to rip this guy off. But I
don't want to do him any special favors either. Which is why I'm asking you
guys how much I could charge for the following without stepping over the
invisible "screw him over" line.

17" Viewsonic P775 monitor
AMD Thunderbird 1000 processor
Asus A7V Socket A motherboard (with Promise controller)
512mb Ram
Asus GeForce2 video card (deluxe model, I forget the name)
SB Live Gold sound card
2 hard drives (60gb each, 120 total)
Network card (I forget the name, but it's a good one)
450w Antec power supply
Original Windows XP CD

I think that's about it, off the top of my head. Everything's running great
and smoothly.

How much could I charge someone for this (upper end, without screwing anyone
over)?

Thanks.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:34:45 -0400, J wrote:

17" Viewsonic P775 monitor
AMD Thunderbird 1000 processor
Asus A7V Socket A motherboard (with Promise controller)
512mb Ram
Asus GeForce2 video card (deluxe model, I forget the name)
SB Live Gold sound card
2 hard drives (60gb each, 120 total)
Network card (I forget the name, but it's a good one)
450w Antec power supply
Original Windows XP CD

I think that's about it, off the top of my head. Everything's running great
and smoothly.

How much could I charge someone for this (upper end, without screwing anyone
over)?

I'd say roughly $200.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
philo

[...]

snip

prob $200 or so.
it's woth that much...but in today's market...it might be hard to get...
so since he did not give you any special deal on the car...
i guess you need not give him any special deal on the comp

btw: my estimate may be off a bit...
so you may want to check on ebay

Old August 23rd 05, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
kony

wrote:

[...]

XP license (the actual certificate) included?
The power supply, case and XP are worth more than all the
rest, if not for that I"d call it a $150 system, but with
them, $225.

I think that's about it, off the top of my head. Everything's running great
and smoothly.

How much could I charge someone for this (upper end, without screwing anyone
over)?

Systems aren't so subject to fluctuation in value like cars
are, more than anything it's age makes it low value... $225
is being a little generous because, again, it has the
name-brand 450W PSU and WinXP.
Old August 23rd 05, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

"philo" wrote in message

17" Viewsonic P775 monitor
AMD Thunderbird 1000 processor
Asus A7V Socket A motherboard (with Promise controller)
512mb Ram
Asus GeForce2 video card (deluxe model, I forget the name)
SB Live Gold sound card
2 hard drives (60gb each, 120 total)
Network card (I forget the name, but it's a good one)
450w Antec power supply
Original Windows XP CD

snip

prob $200 or so.
it's woth that much...but in today's market...it might be hard to get...
so since he did not give you any special deal on the car...
i guess you need not give him any special deal on the comp

btw: my estimate may be off a bit...
so you may want to check on ebay

Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than $100,
and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
very most.

Old August 23rd 05, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:26:33 -0400, J wrote:

Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than $100,
and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
very most.

I can buy new 17" monitors all day long for under $80. As for the XP
software. It's not worth the cost of the cd it's on and that's about a
nickel. the MB/cpu is 5 year old technology. I've already given away 2
KT7-Raid systems faster than the one you have for sale. If you want to get
the most for your system then piece it out and sell it on ebay. As a
system, I wouldn't ask more than $250 for it from an enemy. Well, maybe
$300 if they would give that for it.:-)
If this guy isn't real bright, then get ads for each individual component
and add them up and then offer it to him for half of that price. that
should get the price up there quite a bit.

Old August 23rd 05, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
philo

snip
Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than

$100,
and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
very most.

nope that's about all it's worth on the market...
you can get *NEW* systems complete for as little as $300...
just look at Tigerdirect if you don't believe it.
however...since the guy did not give you any special deal on the car...
no harm in telling him $300...
you can always negotiate

Old August 24th 05, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

"philo" wrote in message

snip
Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than

$100,
and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
very most.

nope that's about all it's worth on the market...
you can get *NEW* systems complete for as little as $300...

Oh come on, play fair. New systems at that price are 1-piece units. The kind
that ship with AC97 audio and won't accept a sound card or video card
upgrade of anykind. That's cheating. These are all brand names I'm selling,
not generics, and obviously the system isn't a 1-piece.

however...since the guy did not give you any special deal on the car...
no harm in telling him $300...
you can always negotiate

Well, like I said. He sold me the car for what I would have paid for it from
a used car salesman. No more, no less. I don't want to screw the guy. I just
want to charge him the most I can for what the items are worth.

As someone else pointed out, the monitor, XP CD (I don't care if anyone
thinks XP is worth $1, it's simply not being sold at that price anywhere)
and Antec 450 power supply unit drive the price up higher than the estimates
you guys gave me for everything combined.

C'mon. Help me get even with this guy for the damn car. (Without
stealing.)

The damn GeForce2 was a Deluxe! It came with 3D goggles for heaven's sake!
(LOL)

Old August 24th 05, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.08.23.21.43.00.48750@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:26:33 -0400, J wrote:

Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than
$100,
and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
very most.

I can buy new 17" monitors all day long for under $80.

But I never asked what you COULD find no-name generic 17" monitors for...
first, we're talking about a brand name here, which is an instant price
hike. Second, you missed the entire point of the posting. The question was,
what is the MOST (not the LEAST) I can charge for this system without
screwing the guy over?

That it is POSSIBLE to find the items cheaper is irrelevant. What's the MOST
they're likely to go for? And what would be the sum total of all those
highest-possible prices?

Again, I'm not looking to give the guy a good deal here. This guy sold me a
used car top-dollar. He didn't screw me over, but after a bit of
post-purchase researching, he was right at the limit. I'd like to return the
favor.

Thanks!

Old August 24th 05, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
philo

snip

C'mon. Help me get even with this guy for the damn car. (Without
stealing.)

The damn GeForce2 was a Deluxe! It came with 3D goggles for heaven's sake!
(LOL)

Here is the bottom line:
your computer...even if made out of 50 pounds of gold...
is only worth what someone will pay for it.
So sell it for whatever you can get for it...
obviously the guy who sold you the car did that.
If the computer works fine...and the guy thinks it's a good deal...
then that's fine...
I'm just telling you that in the real world...
even though you should get more than $200 for the thing...
you probaby won't...

However...if you *can* get more...then by all means do so.

Here is a slightly unrealated but *true* story.
I recently sold a very old sports car that I had owned for 30 years.
Yes...it was a 1959 Triumph TR-3...that still had a good engine...
but was basically in terrible shape. I got $560 for it.
After talking to a number of people who do car restoration...I learned that
it would take
about $25,000 to fully restore a car such as mine.
When I asked them how much it would be worth...once restored...
I was told: $15,000. It's a work of love.
Well that's why I sold it for $560 and was glad to be done with it !

how to get into setup after battery dead? HH Compaq Computers 1 June 25th 04 08:53 PM
Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup? Alan Braun Compaq Computers 2 January 14th 04 05:14 AM
Newbie purchasing A7N8X setup Chris R Asus Motherboards 7 November 6th 03 01:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
XP setup doesn't recognize my hard drive (s) - please help me install XP? Great Weather Asus Motherboards 12 July 9th 03 03:37 AM