MSI K7T Pro (v1) motherboard with AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz CPU; shows up as running at 1250Mhz

Old August 11th 05, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
[email protected]

Default MSI K7T Pro (v1) motherboard with AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz CPU; shows up as running at 1250Mhz

I recently bought a second-hand MSI K7T Pro (v1) motherboard and Athlon
1.1Ghz processor (seperately) from ebay; everything works fine, but I'm
curious as to why the processor shows up as running at 1250Mhz (at the
POST screen and using CPU-Z (software that gathers information on some
of the main devices of your system)). The motherboard's FSB apparently
supports 100MHz (200MHz Internal System Bus) and I have put in three
sticks of PC133 SDRAM. The motherboard's spec is he

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/ products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd
_detail.p...

My best guesses are (a) the CPU has been overclocked or (b) the
motherboard has locked the multiplier to 12.5. There isn't a way to
change the multiplier in the bios (this is according to MSI & from
looking myself), only the FSB (and that would mean raising it). There
doesn't appear to be a jumper to do this either.

Anyone know why I'm getting this higher speed ?...and if it's possible
to lower it (underclock) ?

thanks
Jim

Old August 12th 05, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:43:12 -0700, jadamson60 wrote:

[...]

Someone could have moddded the cpu to a 12.5 multiplier. Someone could
have modded the multiplier via pinmod or wires to socket. Or more likely,
the FSB has been raised to about 113-114MHz. Lowering the FSB will lower
the speed, and you could always change the multiplier manually.

Old August 13th 05, 12:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
[email protected]

Thanks for your reply, I'll give your suggestion about changing the FSB
a go.