Wake on LAN help

Old November 27th 05, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Wake on LAN help

Hi,

I have a home-built machine running XP-Home SP2 and based, hardware-wise, around an ASROCK P4V88+ motherboard that supports Wake-on-LAN.

Anyone have any experience with WOL and what I might need to do to get this enabled and working?

Many thanks...
Old November 27th 05, 11:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Anyone have any experience with WOL and what I might need to do to get this

enabled and working?

Many thanks...

I use wake-on-lan but not on the same mobo. From the ASRock website:
"All of ASRock motherboards support Wake on LAN. Please enable the "PCI
Device Power On" in the Power menu of BIOS. After saving the changes and
exit the BIOS, please boot into the Windows OS then shut down the system.
Now, the system is ready to be woken up through LAN by other computers."

What problem are you having?
Graham

Old November 28th 05, 06:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"GTS" wrote in message

Anyone have any experience with WOL and what I might need to do to get
this

enabled and working?

Many thanks...

I use wake-on-lan but not on the same mobo. From the ASRock website:
"All of ASRock motherboards support Wake on LAN. Please enable the "PCI
Device Power On" in the Power menu of BIOS. After saving the changes and
exit the BIOS, please boot into the Windows OS then shut down the system.
Now, the system is ready to be woken up through LAN by other computers."

What problem are you having?
Graham

Thanks - I'm pretty sure that I have enabled that setting.

I guess what I am asking is HOW I wake the machine; it's my server PC that
sits in my son's room but it's not always on and sometimes I need to access
data from naother machine on my network. It is WiFI connected to the home
WLAN.

Old November 28th 05, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"__spc__" s p a m t i m e @ n t l w o r l d . c o m wrote in message

"GTS" wrote in message

[...]

In device manager - hardware there should be an entry for your network
card - if you select it's properties there should be a setting under power
management to "allow this device to wake computer from standby".

Old November 28th 05, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"GTS" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm - options notavailable on my WiFi NIC...

Old November 28th 05, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

you have to have a WOL compatible NIC device that comes with a cable that
hooks to the mainboard. In the bios you must enable WOL usually in the power
management area but it could be else where and called remote wake up. The
manual(MB) will explain what 'packet' the mainboard wants.

Old November 29th 05, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"JAD" wrote in message
you have to have a WOL compatible NIC device that comes with a cable that
hooks to the mainboard. In the bios you must enable WOL usually in the
power management area but it could be else where and called remote wake
up. The manual(MB) will explain what 'packet' the mainboard wants.

Thanks very much for that - my WiFi NIC has no cable, but the LAN port is
integrated - I will check this. Thanks again.