So....!? What's the value/speed deal right now?

Old September 4th 05, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Bruin

Default So....!? What's the value/speed deal right now?

My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. But still saved a ton over a P4. I
was happy.
Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
the itch.

I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.

What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever &
I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin at
Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
speeds? =)

Old September 5th 05, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Peter van der Goes

"Bruin" wrote in message

My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. But still saved a ton over a P4. I
was happy.
Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
the itch.

I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.

What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever
& I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin
at Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to
expensive speeds? =)

Probably better to ask in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, as this group is
mostly dormant, but I'll entice you a bit

Asus A8V Deluxe here running an A64 3200+ (default speed 2.0 GHz) at 2.5 GHz
with no issues, all adjustments made in BIOS to up the FSB while locking
PCI/AGP.
100% stable. 2.5 GHz is about 3800+ speed. You can do the math on respective
CPU prices.
Go to the group above for more/better O/C stories with A64.

Old September 5th 05, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Bruin

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message

"Bruin" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks! Didn't know this group was available.