9800pro overheating my Soundcard!

Old September 21st 03, 07:55 PM
[ ]

Default 9800pro overheating my Soundcard!

I installed a 9800pro a few days ago and I noticed on occasion I would get
an odd sound come from my soundcard (Audigy2). Took the case panel off last
night and found that my soundcard was quite hot from the 9800pro, it was two
slots away too and I figure the 9800pro was overheating the chips on the
soundcard. Moved the soundcard to the very last slot and all seems fine now
so far. Anyone else experience something like this? I felt the heatsink on
my 9800pro and it feels way hotter than the one on my cpu. Feels like I'm
back in the days of running a Thunderbird cpu and heat from that was the
reason I moved to the Intel P4. Maybe I should get me one of those Zalman
heatpipes?

Old September 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Matt

Its more likely that the AGP and PCI slot that the soundcard was in were
sharing some resources of some kind. Silicone components can take way more heat
then we think they can.

Matt

M and M Electronics
6661 Stanford Ranch Road
Suite F, PMB 105
Rocklin Ca 95677
916-275-5871

Old September 21st 03, 08:02 PM
Kent_Diego

an odd sound come from my soundcard (Audigy2).
... Moved the soundcard to the very last slot and all seems fine now

Could have been an IRQ issue as well. They get fixed when moving PCI slot.
Often slot 1 or slot 3 will share IRQ with video card.

-Kent

Old September 22nd 03, 04:53 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

How many fans do you have in your system and where are they ?

Old September 22nd 03, 05:55 AM
John Hall

My thought exactly. Poor case cooling. Ideally you should have at least
two fans at the back of the case carrying heat away from the cpu , and two
additional fans blowing cool air into the case at the front.

JK

Old September 22nd 03, 03:24 PM
Bratboy

using A2 and 9800 here no issues shown so far but then again as rule I
ALWAYS leave the 1st pci slot next to AGP empty to avoid any irq issues so
my a2 is several slots away from the 9800.
Just Jess

"Brian Jones" wrote in message
news
On this day of our lord, Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:02:02 -0700, "Kent_Diego"
quilled:

Could have been an IRQ issue as well. They get fixed when moving PCI

slot.
Often slot 1 or slot 3 will share IRQ with video card.

-Kent

Nah, I already made sure there was no IRQ conflict. Are there any
known issues with the 9800pro and Audigy2 on some motherboards? I have
an Asus P4B533 mb. I still think heat was causing a probelm but will
have to investigate futher.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:16 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:00:11 -0700
Brian Jones wrote:

On this day of our lord, Mon, 22 Sep 2003 04:55:44 GMT, "John Hall"
quilled:

My thought exactly. Poor case cooling. Ideally you should have at
least two fans at the back of the case carrying heat away from the
cpu , and two additional fans blowing cool air into the case at the
front.

JK

My cpu and case temp is fine, the vid car was heating up my soundcard
because it was next door to it. I don't subscribe to the method of
case fans all over the place making a dang racket. I use one exhaust
fan and that's all it needs. The air exhausiting is cool to the feel
so how can I possibly need more case fans?

Well, now, if the air exhausting is "cool to the feel" that might just
mean that the flowpath through the case doesn't move air past anything
that needs cooling. You might try taking a piece of cardboard and
arranging some baffles to move the air where it needs to be.

I use the AMD recommended
method, even though I run a P4. You need good ventialtion on the front
of the case for this to work correctly and one exhast fan plus your
PSU also exhausting. The problem is the R9800 doesn't come with the
best of cooling solutions on the card itself so I will modify it and
add my own. But I'm not having any problems with the vid card itself.
I do own a PCI slot vid cooler so I might throw that in for now to
make sure but I'm going to put a Zalman heatpipe on it eventually. You
guys want to see cooling done right? Look inside a Mac G5. They know
how to make a computer cool *and* quiet.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 23rd 03, 12:32 AM
Strontium

-
Brian Jones stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

On this day of our lord, Mon, 22 Sep 2003 04:55:44 GMT, "John Hall"
quilled:

My thought exactly. Poor case cooling. Ideally you should have at
least two fans at the back of the case carrying heat away from the
cpu , and two additional fans blowing cool air into the case at the
front.

JK

My cpu and case temp is fine, the vid car was heating up my soundcard
because it was next door to it. I don't subscribe to the method of
case fans all over the place making a dang racket. I use one exhaust
fan and that's all it needs. The air exhausiting is cool to the feel
so how can I possibly need more case fans? I use the AMD recommended
method, even though I run a P4. You need good ventialtion on the front
of the case for this to work correctly and one exhast fan plus your
PSU also exhausting. The problem is the R9800 doesn't come with the
best of cooling solutions on the card itself so I will modify it and
add my own. But I'm not having any problems with the vid card itself.
I do own a PCI slot vid cooler so I might throw that in for now to
make sure but I'm going to put a Zalman heatpipe on it eventually. You
guys want to see cooling done right? Look inside a Mac G5. They know
how to make a computer cool *and* quiet.

Might be possible that your memory (on the card) is overheating. Just a
passing thought. The fact that you keep the box inside a wall does not seem
good, as far as getting fresh air into the box. The memory, on the newer
cards is VERY prone to overheating. I sympathize with your want of silence.
But, sometimes the bullet just has to be bitten. Look into some heatsinks,
for the memory on the card. If you've got good airflow, in the case, it
should eliminate that as a source of your headaches.

Correct me, if I'm mis-remembering. But, did you say that pulling the box
out of it's 'hole' was too much of a hassle? If so, you might as well give
up. Seems that's exactly what you are going to have to do to resolve this
issue. Can't expect to fix a physical problem, remotely

Best of luck.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 23rd 03, 01:00 AM
Strontium

Crap. I've got you confused with another poster! Arggggh.

Sorry, dude.

But, still might want to look into the memory sinks :P~~~

-
Strontium stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

-
, and said:

[...]

OKAY, I have Alzheimer's

The memory, on the newer cards is VERY prone to overheating. I
sympathize with your want of silence. But, sometimes the bullet just
has to be bitten. Look into some heatsinks, for the memory on the
card. If you've got good airflow, in the case, it should eliminate
that as a source of your headaches.

snip mistaken identity crap

Best of luck.

Old September 23rd 03, 01:11 AM
Frank

Brian Jones wrote:
| On this day of our lord, Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:02:02 -0700, "Kent_Diego"
| quilled:
|

|| Could have been an IRQ issue as well. They get fixed when moving PCI
|| slot. Often slot 1 or slot 3 will share IRQ with video card.
|| -Kent
|
| Nah, I already made sure there was no IRQ conflict. Are there any
| known issues with the 9800pro and Audigy2 on some motherboards? I have
| an Asus P4B533 mb. I still think heat was causing a probelm but will
| have to investigate futher.

A while back there were a bunch of P4B533 mainboards that were just
bad. I had to throw one in the dustbin. The knowledge was prevailent
on the periphs asus ng.

--
Tampa Bay RR