a7n8x-e deluxe 166 headache

Old February 18th 04, 01:33 PM
Ruffian

Default a7n8x-e deluxe 166 headache

hi there all

i'm having the biggest nightmare. just built my first pc ! i'm on my second
board, second graphics card, and third case (none my fault) problem now is
cpu only runs at 2200 and the system seems stable. however cpu is an athlon
xp 2800. runs at 2800 166mhz but system crashes non stop BSOD !!

bios : 1008
cpu : athlon xp2800 2.08ghz
mem : single 512mb ddr333 2700 (single slot)
graphics : nvida geforce 5200 128mb AGP8x
os: micro****e xp sp1

any clues please. any help appreciated
ps. girlfriend lost my install cd but all the drivers are from asus and are
digitally signed

Old February 18th 04, 01:52 PM
KB

Also XP2800 does not run at 2800.

Old February 18th 04, 01:55 PM
KB

12.5X166 = 2075, as close to 2.08 as ever

Old February 18th 04, 05:40 PM
DAN

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

"KB" wrote in message
12.5X166 = 2075, as close to 2.08 as ever

Bios Number seems wrong? Latest Bios Number for this board is 1007.

Old February 18th 04, 05:41 PM
DAN

"KB" wrote in message
12.5X166 = 2075, as close to 2.08 as ever

Sorry forget that last post.

Old February 18th 04, 09:51 PM
Arnie Berger

"Ruffian" wrote in message ...
hi there all

i'm having the biggest nightmare. just built my first pc ! i'm on my second
board, second graphics card, and third case (none my fault) problem now is
cpu only runs at 2200 and the system seems stable. however cpu is an athlon
xp 2800. runs at 2800 166mhz but system crashes non stop BSOD !!

bios : 1008
cpu : athlon xp2800 2.08ghz
mem : single 512mb ddr333 2700 (single slot)
graphics : nvida geforce 5200 128mb AGP8x
os: micro****e xp sp1

any clues please. any help appreciated
ps. girlfriend lost my install cd but all the drivers are from asus and are
digitally signed

I hate to break this to you but an Athlon XP2800+ doesn't run at 2800
MHz, it runs at 2080 MHz. The rating is to give a comparable speed
rating to a Pentium chip. So, I may be misunderstanding your note, but
it should run at 166MHz x 12.5 multiplier.

The first thing you need to do is run memtest86 overnight and make
sure that the processor to memory interface is stable. Any failures
are unacceptable.
Next, you could have a marginal power supply. You should also go into
the BIOS and set the processor to memory option to synch mode. I'm not
sure where to find that, but the ASUS board seems to be sensitive to
this. Next, select the most conservative BIOS settings you can find.
Generally, there is an overall CONSERVATIVE mode for the BIOS that
sets all of the control values to their most stable settings.

What you are trying to do is establish a base value for the system
that is stable. Then you can begin to boost performance. But first,
you need to check all the obvious things, like the power supply.

arnie
Old February 19th 04, 11:08 PM
Craig Hawkins

could be wrong here (always find the athlong rating confusing) but is it not
possible that you have an older version of the 2800 that is 133x15 or
whatever? I know they made different versions of the front side bus.

Old February 20th 04, 05:23 AM
Hinnerk van der Felde

"Ruffian" wrote

i'm having the biggest nightmare. just built my first pc ! i'm on my

second
board, second graphics card, and third case (none my fault) problem (...)

Check if the memory of your system is on Asus' "qualified vendors" list. If
not your board will never be stable at all.

Had a similar problem like yours and got it fixed by just replacing the
memory sticks with one of their list mentioned above. It's all about RTFM.

Hinnerk