Which to use, MS SP3 download or Dell Reinstallation SP3 CD.

Old October 22nd 10, 10:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

Default Which to use, MS SP3 download or Dell Reinstallation SP3 CD.

Which to use, MS SP3 download or Dell Reinstallation SP3 CD.

A friend who was moving away gave me his old Dimension 4300S.

It has XP Home SP1.

I need to upgrade to SP3 of course.

I think there is a difference between using a Dell Reinstallation CD
XPSP3 versus just the SP3 download from MS.

For example, in general, can I use the Dell Reinstall CD to install
OVER what is there? Or is it only for *RE*installation onto a disk
without an OS? If it is the first situation, can I upgrade this
computer to SP3 by using a Dell SP3 CD, even though the computer
currently has SP1?

OTOH, in a case where some files have been deleted or corrupted (as by
malware**), aren't there files specifically for Dell computers on the
Reinstallation CD that wouldn't be in the MS SP3 file?

OT3H, if there are no damaged or missing Dell-specific files, the MS
SP3 download is all one needs, right.

**And this computer I just got seems to have malware.

Thanks.
Old October 23rd 10, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 10/22/2010 5:25 PM, mm wrote:
[...]

Use the Dell XP reinstallation CD with SP3, if it is XP HOME. Saves you
time. Saves a lot of hard drive space, cluttered up with remains of all
the junk left behind by the installation of SP2 followed by SP3.

The Dell XP reinstallation CDs are nothing more than the OEM Windows XP
install CDs with a few bits added to identify them as "Dell". Then,
when you install one on a Dell, you do not have to do the product
activation run-around nonsense. If you install one on another brand of
computer, you will need to change the product key to match the one on
the XP sticker on that computer... Ben Myers
Old October 23rd 10, 10:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:28:44 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

On 10/22/2010 5:25 PM, mm wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's Home. I forgot to say that.

time. Saves a lot of hard drive space, cluttered up with remains of all
the junk left behind by the installation of SP2 followed by SP3.

The Dell XP reinstallation CDs are nothing more than the OEM Windows XP
install CDs with a few bits added to identify them as "Dell". Then,
when you install one on a Dell, you do not have to do the product
activation run-around nonsense. If you install one on another brand of
computer, you will need to change the product key to match the one on
the XP sticker on that computer... Ben Myers

Makes sense.

Okay. Thanks a lot.