Monitor brightness issues

Old October 26th 03, 08:13 PM
Bob Davis

Default Monitor brightness issues

I'm posting this on several NG's since I don't know which applies best to
this problem. Here's the hardware list:

Sony E540 (primary monitor, 21")
Sony A240R (secondary monitor, 17")
Matrox G450 32mb dual-head on AGP
Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo w/ P4 2.8C (HT) and 2gb DDR3200 RAM
OS: WinXP Pro

I use this homebuilt system for photo editing (PhotoShop, Nikon Capture,
etc.) and both monitors emit a noticeably brighter picture until they have
been active for 15 or 20 minutes, although the larger monitor shows this
effect more prominently. It, of course, is the monitor I use for photo
editing. This occurs when first started in the morning and when brought out
of sleep mode (set to activate after 30 minutes at idle). I cannot do any
critical photo editing until the monitors warm up.

Sony's tech support (level 1) acted like the problem has never been seen
before, but if it continues offered to replace either or both monitors in
warranty. A friend who operates a digital photo lab says that his high-end
editing software (used on PC's) recommends never using a screen saver for
this reason. Another photographer also using a PC mentioned that his
monitor calibration device recommends not running tests unless the monitor
has been on for some time. This leads me to believe the brightness issue I
experience may be common.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon? A second system in my studio
(Matrox G400SH with el cheapo Samsung 17" monitor) does not seem to vary in
brightness at all. I can live with this, but I'd rather not. I've run
Adobe Gamma and contrast is set to 100 and brightness at 5 after calibration
on the larger monitor (warmed up, of course). The second monitor is set to
87 and 37, respectively, and brightness is about equal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

Old October 26th 03, 09:10 PM
-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:13:54 -0600, "Bob Davis"
wrote:

I use this homebuilt system for photo editing (PhotoShop, Nikon Capture,
etc.) and both monitors emit a noticeably brighter picture until they have
been active for 15 or 20 minutes, although the larger monitor shows this
effect more prominently. It, of course, is the monitor I use for photo
editing. This occurs when first started in the morning and when brought out
of sleep mode (set to activate after 30 minutes at idle). I cannot do any
critical photo editing until the monitors warm up.

This is very good advice. Most any monitor will display differently
after it has warmed up. Some more than others.

You are likely to get more experience from alt.graphics.photoshop

-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-
Old October 28th 03, 05:18 AM
Louise

In article 0XVmb.16654$5c2.12309@okepread03,
says...
[...]

I have a 21" Sony and it is always too bright when I first
turn it on
--
Louise )