Aspect ratio question

Old March 18th 08, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kurt Herman

Default Aspect ratio question

I have an LG 22" widescreen. There is a setting in the monitors internal
menus to set the monitor do display 4:3 properly (with black bars on the
side).
The only trick to getting that set is that you have to run the 4:3 program,
and while in it, get into the menu, and set it.

From then on, whenever you run a full screen 4:3 program, it will adjust
automatically, and when you quit, it will go back to your normal wide
screen.

Kurt

"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in message
On 18 Mar, 16:39, (GMAN) wrote:
In article
, rpgs
rock dvds wrote:

On 17 Mar, 19:37, (Ant) wrote:
Recently bought eVGA 8800GT. =A0Looking to buy 19" LCD,
non-widesc=
reen -
these things come in 1280x1024 native resolution, which is
aspect
ratio 5:4. =A0Older monitors were 4:3 aspect ratio.
Question - if I run old software on new monitor, can I get the
eVG=
8800GT to correct the aspect ratio?
Example - run software at 800x600 (aspect ratio 4:3) on new
LCD, I=

don't want the software to be stretched vertically by 6% to
fill t=
he
entire screen. =A0Instead I would be happy with "letterbox"
black
borders at the top (and/or bottom).
Thank you, best regards, Robert.
You can set this option in the nVidia control panel, in the
Display=
section.
Click Change Flat Panel Scaling to Do Not Scale. =A0Any
resolutions=
smaller
than the maximum for the LCD will be displayed with a black
border.=

RF.

Thanks, unfortunately I couldn't find that option, but I'll keep
looking for it!

Are you using DVI connection directly (cable) or VGA, and the
latest
NVIDIA driver?
Hi, right ATM I'm using VGA cable - does the latest nVidia control
panel intelligently remove options such as "flat panel scaling" if
it
thinks that you are not using DVI cable? =A0If so, that's prolly why
can't see it right ATM!

That is correct. You need DVI cable for it. No VGA adapters either!
Pure
DVI between the video card and LCD monitor (don't think any CRTs have
DVI). NVIDIA driver will detect for this.

Now if you have a monitor that can do both DVI and VGA connections at
the same time, and you have another DVI port on video card to use,
then
hook both VGA (a VGA adapter is OK) and DVI to the same monitor. Then,
tell your monitor or driver to switch betwen VGA and DVI connection.
Go
to DVI (usually use the driver display change in system tray) if you
want to be able turn off flat panel scaling via driver. I do this with
my Samsung 19" LCD monitor. I rarely use DVI though and it is mainly
for stuff that don't use native resolutions since scaling looks ugly
sometimes. It works well for me.
--
"I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
=A0 /\___/\ =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
| |o =A0 o| | =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Ant's Quality Foraged Links
(AQFL):http:/=
/aqfl.net
=A0 =A0\ _ / =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Please
remove =
ANT if replying by e-mail.
=A0 =A0 ( )- Hide quoted text -

Hi, thanks a lot for your help. ATM, I have bought a new LCD and
await its arrival. It is a LG L1960TR. The specs say it has both DVI
and VGA input. I have also ordered both DVI and VGA cables, which
arrived today. I will test the monitor and have some fun with the
settings etc!!

I see no reason to have bought the VGA cable if you bought the DVI one.

Please may I ask a question -- if I run an old game in Windows 98
which tries to display itself in aspect ratio 4:3 (800x600), and I am
using a VGA connection, would the display appear stretched on my new
LCD monitor if its native resolution is aspect ratio 5:4? Perhaps the
monitor has an option whereby you can tell it not to stretch the
image, but display "letterbox black borders" instead, in order to
preserve the 4:3 display?

All the best from Robert.- Hide quoted text -

I'm setting up a system with 2 PCs and 2 monitors, and inside one of
the PCs there are 2 graphics cards! So my system is not a simple one,
and I need quite a few cables, and there will be various options etc.
Quite a headache in fact!

How can I get the right aspect ratio on an TV LCD Richard Huber Ati Videocards 2 October 22nd 06 06:59 PM
Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling question barrabas Nvidia Videocards 0 February 14th 06 06:06 AM
Aspect Ratio Robbie Printers 5 October 12th 05 08:44 AM
ATI TV Aspect Ratio Mercury Ati Videocards 0 September 28th 05 02:27 AM
anybody know how to keep aspect ratio? magnulus Nvidia Videocards 0 August 23rd 03 04:29 AM