Addressing front/rear stereo separately

Old November 28th 03, 05:38 PM
Max Metral

Default Addressing front/rear stereo separately

I want to send one mp3 file to the front speakers and a different one to the
back speakers. (I'm a programmer, I want to do this in code not with some
utility). Is this possible? DirectX? ASIO (hah!)? WaveOut?

Thanks.

Old November 28th 03, 07:06 PM
Lenny

I want to send one mp3 file to the front speakers and a different one to

the
back speakers. (I'm a programmer, I want to do this in code not with some
utility). Is this possible? DirectX? ASIO (hah!)? WaveOut?

It should be possible through the direct3d programming API. You'd probably
have to set up an environment where one sound source is "behind" the
listener and the other is "in front", if each speaker cannot be addressed
directly (which I doubt one can, as you have no way of knowing how many
speakers an user is going to have in their system). There might be some
amout of crosstalk between front and rear channels through, I don't know
how, or if, this can be avoided.

Check the Directsound docs, you should find the info you need there.

Old June 10th 04, 10:51 PM
Richard Price

Just wondering if anyone ever got anywhere with this? I have a SB Live!
Value and I'm looking for something similar. I would like certain sound
events sent to my front channel speakers and others to my rear (which I have
headphones connected to) channel. Is it possible? Better yet, has anyone
been able to get it to work. Maybe it is possible to emulate a second sound
card that uses the rear channels only. Any ideas?

-Richard

Old June 11th 04, 02:41 AM
Matt

I did this with graphedit through the Microsoft Directsound filter. There
are a few free apps that let you do this. Can't remember right off the top
of my head. As for emulation...sure you can emulate just about anything for
sound however you still need a D/A converter to output the signal (aka
soundcard).