ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old September 13th 05, 11:32 PM
Kane81

fixuserwrote:
Kane81,
If I follow your notes correctly ... you are running a LANDISK with

the Argosy 06-0804 firmware, is that correct? If so, I'm curious
what happens to the 5 lights on the LANDISK, as the Tritton and
Argosy products only have 1 LED that serves multiple functions.

I dont know what you mean? my Landisk looks exactly like the Argosy it
only has one LED which can switch from green to red.

In regards to the Outlook usage. I think I've broken my Outlook

issues into two ... 1) occurs when I get a Windows delayed write
failure. While this generates a Windows error message, it doesn't
actually seem to cause any problems. 2) the PST file is corrupted.
Which if you follow [b:382207a669]dilettante's[/b:382207a669] notes
from above about the End of File (EOF) pointer in the file becoming
corrupt, that may be the source of the corrupted PST file. Tritton
has confirmed the EOF pointer corruption and also agreed that this
may be the cause of the PST file become corrupt. They believe a
firmware release to fix this is coming soon.

thus SAMBA is not implemented properly

Old September 14th 05, 02:32 AM
eds

Kane81wrote:
[quote:2666574f87="fixuser"]Kane81,
If I follow your notes correctly ... you are running a LANDISK with

the Argosy 06-0804 firmware, is that correct? If so, I'm curious
what happens to the 5 lights on the LANDISK, as the Tritton and
Argosy products only have 1 LED that serves multiple functions.

I dont know what you mean? my Landisk looks exactly like the Argosy it
only has one LED which can switch from green to red.

In regards to the Outlook usage. I think I've broken my Outlook

issues into two ... 1) occurs when I get a Windows delayed write
failure. While this generates a Windows error message, it doesn't
actually seem to cause any problems. 2) the PST file is corrupted.
Which if you follow [b:2666574f87]dilettante's[/b:2666574f87] notes
from above about the End of File (EOF) pointer in the file becoming
corrupt, that may be the source of the corrupted PST file. Tritton
has confirmed the EOF pointer corruption and also agreed that this
may be the cause of the PST file become corrupt. They believe a
firmware release to fix this is coming soon.

thus SAMBA is not implemented properly[/quote:2666574f87]

Fixing this samba issue with new firmware could fix some of the xbmc
issues those of us with xboxes are having. :wink:

Old September 14th 05, 05:31 AM
fixuser

Never mind my request for someone to verify the issue with moving
directories / multiple files from the NAS to a PC ... Tritton has
verified the issue and continuing to look into root cause.

Kane81,
When you said you were using a Landisk, I assumed you were referring
to either the Bytecc LANDISK (ME-850) or V-Gear LANDISK products.
These are products similar to the Tritton SimpleNAS and the Argosy
HD363N, but yet having slightly different features. And, both of
those LANDISK products have 5 LEDs on their front panel. If you
wish, you could revisit the information I posted about these products
earlier in this thread:
NAS
Listings. That's why I asked [b:c896f5b579]Irmat[/b:c896f5b579]
if he/she would report back on the hardware in the Bytecc LANDISK.
Hopefully, that explains the nature of my question about the firmware
and LEDs.

Old September 14th 05, 01:33 PM
Kane81

Well my webpage for the NAS use to say LanDisk, It had no brand only a
model number which was HD363N, I then tracked it down to Argosy.

This NAS had no branding on it, on the box, or the instruction.

Old September 15th 05, 04:31 AM
dilettante

fixuserwrote:
Never mind my request for someone to verify the issue with moving
directories / multiple files from the NAS to a PC ... Tritton has
verified the issue and continuing to look into root cause.
Sorry, been offline a few days or I'd have tried it. Looks like
things are moving forward with this though, which is great.

BTW: Do we think that the Argosy/Tritton device uses SAMBA at all? It
looks like a completely different CIFS/SMB implementation. Perhaps
people are using "SAMBA" when they mean to say "SMB" instead?

I'm not trying to be anal-retentive here, just trying to keep things
straight for myself. The Tritton manual (PDF at their site)
does mention "Samba server" so perhaps
they are using source from Samba?

Oh well, doesn't matter a whole lot anyway.

More than you wanted to know:
http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html

Old September 16th 05, 09:31 PM
fixuser

For anyone interested, Tom's Networking reviewed the
LaCie
Ethernet Disk mini , and has performance comparisons including
the Tritton SimpleNAS ... which compares well.

I'm still curious to see reviews of two other devices, the Western
Digital NetCenter and Netgear SC101. Not that I'm expecteing I'll
replace my Tritton/Argosy unit with either of these, just curious to
see their capabilities.

Old September 19th 05, 07:32 PM
mferrigno

Fixuser wrote;
I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to test/verify an issue I'm
having with moving directories from the NAS to a PC. Tritton has
tried some test cases on their own, but is not able to reproduce my
reported issue. Thus, I have given them the step-by-step outline
below that is repeatable on my setup. Will someone be willing try
this with the Tritton 06-0804 firmware (or the Argosy firmware of the
save version, I found the same problem with both firmwares)?

Although I haven't tried to reproduce your specific issue. I've
encountered a similiar problem when trying to copy my MP3's off my
NAS onto my PC. After copying around a 1Gig of files, the transfer
hangs up. This is very irritating since I have a large mp3
collection on my NAS (approx 80gig). Also I'm performing this
operation over a wired network.
[/quote]

Old September 25th 05, 09:32 AM
Sifter

Any progress or updates on new firmware from either Argosy or Tritton?

Old September 28th 05, 05:31 PM
Quest

i got the V-GEAR Landisk and i have exactly the same issues with my
linux set-top-box as the guys that want to use it with xbmc.
i noticed that the cifs implementation is more like non existent, and
the normal smbfs implementation is very buggy.

v-gear told me they don't care about linux support as it is not
advertised.
the product with the current firmware totally sucks and i don't
recommend to buy it if you don't have it already. (specially if your
thinking about using it with linux)

someone who is native English speaking should contact the samba team
because they are either abusing the name "samba" for a product that
does not contain samba code, or they are violating the GPL because
they do not publish the source code.
best regards
Quest

Old October 5th 05, 09:32 PM
rdm362

I have the HD 363N Argosy and have a problem using QuickBooks Pro 2004
where the working file is stored on the NAS. After a short period of
inactivity QuickBooks loses it's connection and I must abort
QuickBooks and reconnect. Never a problem reconnecting just a pain in
the rear to have to do 8-10 times a day. Quick books says that the
drive is losing it's connection for what appears a very short time
and then reconnecting but QuickBooks can not handle this disconnect.
I am running the latest Argosy fw 6-0804. NAS is connected to Linksys
10/100 switch and all pc's are hardwired to switch. I have the sleep
mode time on the NAS set to 0. HELP PLEASE !!! :cry: