Win XP installation problems (hardware suspected)

Old June 11th 04, 06:14 PM
Monk

Default Win XP installation problems (hardware suspected)

Why does Win XP take hours to re-install on my (second) PC system?

I have opened the machine, checked everything is undamaged. When XP
was running on it, there were no speed problems with either the CD
drives or the processor. I have tried installing from each CD drive,
even changed the IDE cable, confirmed that the installation disc works
in my main PC, even tried installing from the Win XP CD that came with
my main PC, but all to no avail.

This particular machine has given problems in the past. When I
upgraded from ME to XP in the past, there were blue screen errors
during installation (hardware failures, telling me to contact my
hardware vendor), though these seemed to have disappeared after I
disabled the USB in BIOS. XP has worked on the machine for about 6
months prior to this re-installation.
Old June 11th 04, 06:38 PM
Bob Day

"Monk" wrote in message
om...
Why does Win XP take hours to re-install on my (second) PC system?

I have opened the machine, checked everything is undamaged. When XP
was running on it, there were no speed problems with either the CD
drives or the processor. I have tried installing from each CD drive,
even changed the IDE cable, confirmed that the installation disc works
in my main PC, even tried installing from the Win XP CD that came with
my main PC, but all to no avail.

This particular machine has given problems in the past. When I
upgraded from ME to XP in the past, there were blue screen errors
during installation (hardware failures, telling me to contact my
hardware vendor), though these seemed to have disappeared after I
disabled the USB in BIOS. XP has worked on the machine for about 6
months prior to this re-installation.

Check out the hardwa

1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
working.

2. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
the standard protections against static electricity
(wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
times).

3. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

5. If your computer is a few years old, remove your CMOS
battery and check its voltage (or just replace it). In
any case, Clear CMOS (see your mainboard manual for how to
do it) and set up your BIOS again.

6. Run a few cycles of "memtest86" (download from
http://www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly check out your
memory. You should get zero errors.

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, v1.24,
with motion detection, at: http://bobday.vze.com.

Old June 11th 04, 06:41 PM
Bob Day

Sorry, I omitted a step:

4. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
and cables inside your computer.

-- Bob Day

"Bob Day" wrote in message

om...