BENQ DVD WRITER

Old January 25th 04, 04:03 AM
Pamela and Howard Signa

Default BENQ DVD WRITER

This is the 3rd BENQ DW400A dvd writer that I have had. The first was
replaced by Tiger direct and then Benq had to send out another replacement.

The problem this time is that the DVD Writer will burn a dvd movie or disc,
but will not recognize these. The computer sees all of the discs that I hae
burned as audio cds. Previously in the past it has recognized them properly.
Firmware is up to date. Running Windows ME.

Today I burned a movie, could not see it in the computer, but it played
properly on the stand alone dvd player.

The dvd writer will play a regular dvd movie fine.

I am stuck with this burner, because I think that BENQ will just send out
another replacement. That is what they did the last time. I cannot call them
until Monday.

Any ideas on what is causing this, and how to remedy it? It is very
frustrating, and I hate htat I spent the money on it, but I need a solution.
I think that this brand will continue to give me headaches.

I could try to put this in another computer with Windows XP on it and see if
that helps. Maybe it is the windows ME.

--
Pam

Stress is when you wake up screaming and realize you haven't fallen asleep
yet.
"Last night fear knocked on my door, faith answered and no one was there"

Old January 25th 04, 04:07 AM
Ben Myers

What kind of software are you using to burn DVDs? Never mind what the operating
system(s) think. Does the burning software say that it is burning a DVD?

.... Ben Myers

Old January 25th 04, 04:16 AM
Pamela and Howard Signa

The burning software is Clone DVD. I tried to play it back on Windvd, which
has previously worked, but Windows media player keeps opening uo since it
appears to be an audio cd in My computer. It recognizes cds fine, whether
they are software or audio.

--
Pam

180/173/130 by 05/22/04 Graduation Day

Started December 15, 2003

Old January 25th 04, 04:17 AM
Pamela and Howard Signa

It even thinks that blank dvds and blank dvd rw's are audio with 1.9 gb on
them. All of the burned ones appear to have 1.9 GB audio on them, even
though these that I have already burned have at least 4 gb of movie data on
them.

Old January 25th 04, 03:23 PM
Pamela and Howard Signa

One of the discs that will not work on my computer with WINME on works
perfectly in a computer with Windows XP as well as a stand alone dvd emerson
brand player.

--
Pam

180/173/130 by 05/22/04 Graduation Day

Started December 15, 2003

Stress is when you wake up screaming and realize you haven't fallen asleep
yet.
"Last night fear knocked on my door, faith answered and no one was there"

"Pamela and Howard Signa" wrote in
message .. .

Old January 25th 04, 07:07 PM
Pamela and Howard Signa

Burned a disk using Nero, from files saved from a previous burn from clone
dvd, and the computer recognizes it as a DVD. Could clone dvd burned discs
be the problem?

Old January 31st 04, 02:48 AM
Brian

I have a similar problem with this burner as well. According to some
online reviews, this is suppose to be a nice burner...
I bought this drive from tigerdirect and in less than 30 days the
burner failed to burn any cdr/cdrw using nero, roxio or other sofware
(It has no problem burning DVD). Tigerdirect told me to send it back
to Benq for replacement and I did. It took more than 1.5 month to get
the replacement shipped and the new one lasts about week and I am
experiencing problem burning cd again... There must be a design fraud
with this drive.
Does anybody have problem with this burner?

Brian
Old January 31st 04, 03:11 AM
Ben Myers

I don't have any direct experience with Benq, but another dealer who has used
Benq CD/DVD/-R/-RW devices has stopped doing so and he told me to stay away from
the brand. Benq is the new name for the old AOpen products made by Acer.

I use a very few brands of CD/DVD devices and I have been rarely disappointed:
Sony, LiteOn, Plextor (most expensive), Toshiba and Teac.

It doesn't sound like TigerDirect has become any better to deal with. They have
long had a reputation for selling cheap goods. I've serviced quite a few burned
out TigerDirect brand computers, and the parts inside the usual chintzy case are
the cheapest imaginable, such as PCChips motherboards... Ben Myers

Old January 31st 04, 03:48 AM
Pamela and Howard Signa

I have retired it myself, and purchased a faster i/o magic dvd+/- rw. I have
had good lucj with my I/o magic cdrw, so I hope the same holds true for the
dvd writer.

Old January 31st 04, 06:44 AM
Rocket

TigerDirect is a notorious junk, overstock, restock, & refurb depot here in
Fla.
Their undisclosed and unpublished holding company is better known by the
more common title, "As Seen on TV".
As always... buyer beware.
--
Rocket

[...]

Is a DVD Writer repairable? buj-buj Cdr 10 November 28th 04 02:38 AM
HP DVD Writer 300i useenomeyes Cdr 2 September 23rd 04 03:56 AM
BENQ 8x dvd burners better than Liteons? [email protected] General 0 April 30th 04 03:53 AM
CD Writer hangs after failed firmware upgrade Lokke Cdr 17 November 17th 03 10:26 PM
CD Writer/ DVD Writer software on new build HMSDOC Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 03 12:01 PM