WD 12 TB hard drive for $604

Old October 10th 17, 08:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default WD 12 TB hard drive for $604

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-12TB-Ent...dp/B075L6FJH8/

Amazing !

Lynn
Old October 10th 17, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-12TB-Ent...dp/B075L6FJH8/

Amazing !

But not cost efficient. Two 6TB drives would cost $233 x 2 = $466. For
the extra $138, I get a single failure source with no larger capacity.
Old October 10th 17, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:51:40 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-12TB-Ent...dp/B075L6FJH8/

Amazing !

But not cost efficient. Two 6TB drives would cost $233 x 2 = $466. For
the extra $138, I get a single failure source with no larger capacity.

Other than budget and available power, one of the limiting factors is
always the number of available SATA ports and drive bays. If you need to
get to a certain minimum aggregate storage capacity, you may have to
maximize on drive size to avoid exceeding the number of ports and bays.

In my larger server-sized case, I only have 15 3.5" drive bays, in 3
stacks of 5, currently fully populated with 2TB drives. I could replace
5 existing drives with one of these guys and have bays left over for
future growth.

Bottom line, it's usually about budget, but sometimes other factors rise
to the top.

Old October 12th 17, 05:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:36:40 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:

Newegg:

WD Gold: $540
Seagate IronWolf: $473
Seagate IronWolf Pro: $536
Barracuda Pro: $525
Old October 13th 17, 11:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Newegg and I parted ways several years ago when they refused to warranty
a computer part that I purchased there.

Like Amazon, Walmart, and many only online e-tailers, that you visit
their site to buy something does NOT mean you are buying from /them/.
They operate and sell store fronts to other e-tailers. You have to
check WHO is the seller. Might not be the site you visit.

Newegg has a checkbox to select them as the Seller. That eliminates
buying from elsewhere that uses Newegg as a store front. Warranties are
handled by the seller. If Newegg isn't the seller, they aren't liable
for warranty coverage. When you buy from elsewhere, you have to get
support and warranty coverage from elsewhere.

I learned that long ago when I bought bedding online at walmart.com but
later discovered it was sold by Wayfair, not Walmart. Shipping was from
WayFair (and took longer than if it came from Walmart). Wayfair -- not
Walmart (who wasn't the seller) -- argued about a return and refund
because they shipped the wrong size (twin long instead of just twin). I
would also have to pay shipping to return the sheets. If the item had
been sold by Walmart, I could've drove to the local Walmart store (as
part of another trip, like groceries) for a refund.
Old October 13th 17, 01:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:10:59 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

Newegg and I parted ways several years ago when they refused to warranty
a computer part that I purchased there.

I had a RAID box start to have its fan fail after 6 mo. The mfr sent
me a new fan, but the work needed to open the box to get at the fan
was incredibly long and stupid. Now I do not buy that brand from
Newegg because I know where the service problem is located.
Old October 13th 17, 04:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:

Newegg:

WD Gold: $540
Seagate IronWolf: $473
Seagate IronWolf Pro: $536
Barracuda Pro: $525

Newegg currently has WD Red 3TB drives on sale for $105 and Blue 4TB
drives for $118. (Both are 5400rpm.) The inflection point of the HDD
unit price curve currently seems to be at 6TB.

Old October 13th 17, 04:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 10/13/2017 06:39 AM, VanguardLH wrote:

[...]

Earlier this year I saw something advertised at NewEgg, but I checked
and found it a little cheaper on Amazon, so I bought from Amazon. It was
shipped by NewEgg!!

Perce

Old October 13th 17, 10:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:

Newegg:

WD Gold: $540
Seagate IronWolf: $473
Seagate IronWolf Pro: $536
Barracuda Pro: $525

Newegg currently has WD Red 3TB drives on sale for $105 and Blue 4TB
drives for $118. (Both are 5400rpm.) The inflection point of the HDD
unit price curve currently seems to be at 6TB.

I have noticed that also. I am upgrading all of our 4 TB drives
(internal and external) to 8 TB now. I was moving to 6 TB and then
computed that we will exceed the 6 TB drives by middle of 2019 so, I am
jumping to 8 TB now.

Lynn