A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Storage (alternative)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX

Old March 31st 17, 02:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX

WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX
https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Survei...dp/B01C2PWLZW/

Does anyone know if this 8 TB WD hard drive for $284 would be a good internal backup drive for one of my file server ? We write a
LAN backup to three internal backup drives each night. I hate to buy a 6 TB drive as our LAN backup is over 3 TB now. So I am
looking for the cheapest WD 8 TB hard drive.

Thanks,
Lynn

Old March 31st 17, 06:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins
external usenet poster

Default WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 20:50:13 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX

Does anyone know if this 8 TB WD hard drive for $284 would be a good internal backup drive for one of my file server ? We write a
LAN backup to three internal backup drives each night. I hate to buy a 6 TB drive as our LAN backup is over 3 TB now. So I am

That item has the kind of price trend, sharply downward, that I like.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/product/B01C2PWLZW?context=search

Old March 31st 17, 06:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PUZX

On 3/30/2017 8:50 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

Thanks,
Lynn

I found out from a friend that the WD Purple drives do not spin down:

"When I was researching home surveillance systems that include a video recorder, the better and best models all had WD Purple HDs.
The are designed to withstand constant spinning and do not have an “internal feature” that spins them down after a certain amount of
time. Because they are designed to run constantly and in what could be a critical system they would be a good choice for a backup
situation."

Thanks ! I did not know that the purple drives do not spin down. Our LAN backup only runs 3 to 4 hours per day and I would rather
the drive spin down during the down time. I will wait for the WD 8 TB red drives to get back in stock at Big River. Right now the
only available drives are by exotic resellers. I wonder if WD is running out of helium ?
https://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-...dp/B01BYLY4DM/

Thanks,
Lynn