NAS drive for Desktop?

Old March 5th 17, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default NAS drive for Desktop?

I'm thinking about replacing the two 1TB Seagate drives that have
outlasted their 5-yr. warranties in a desktop machine by a 4TB drive.

A 4TB Seagate "desktop" drive (actually called "Barracuda" these days)
runs at 5900rpm (but they don't tell you that -- and 50+ years ago a
reviewer complained that Rolls-Royce did not publish hp figures for
their cars, and when he asked them, they replied, "Adequate.") and costs
$150. For $10 more, a 4TB HGST NAS drive runs at 7200rpm and has a 3-yr.
warranty vs. the Seagate's 2-yr. warranty.

Is there a downside to using the NAS drive instead of the "desktop"
drive in a desktop machine?

I'm not keen to get into the Seagate vs. HGST (now owned by WD) vs. WD
argument: you name any brand, and there are people who will never buy
one of their drives again.

Perce
Old March 5th 17, 11:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default NAS drive for Desktop? -- Correction

On 03/05/2017 05:10 PM, I wrote:

I'm thinking about replacing the two 1TB Seagate drives that have
outlasted their 5-yr. warranties in a desktop machine by a 4TB drive.

A 4TB Seagate "desktop" drive (actually called "Barracuda" these days)
runs at 5900rpm (but they don't tell you that -- and 50+ years ago a
reviewer complained that Rolls-Royce did not publish hp figures for
their cars, and when he asked them, they replied, "Adequate.") and costs
$150. For $10 more, a 4TB HGST NAS drive runs at 7200rpm and has a 3-yr.
warranty vs. the Seagate's 2-yr. warranty.

Is there a downside to using the NAS drive instead of the "desktop"
drive in a desktop machine?

I'm not keen to get into the Seagate vs. HGST (now owned by WD) vs. WD
argument: you name any brand, and there are people who will never buy
one of their drives again.

I made a mistake about the Seagate price: it's only $120, so the price
differential is $40. And the Seagate has half the cache than the HGST has.

Perce

Old March 6th 17, 04:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:10:18 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I'm thinking about replacing the two 1TB Seagate drives that have
outlasted their 5-yr. warranties in a desktop machine by a 4TB drive.

A 4TB Seagate "desktop" drive (actually called "Barracuda" these days)
runs at 5900rpm (but they don't tell you that -- and 50+ years ago a
reviewer complained that Rolls-Royce did not publish hp figures for
their cars, and when he asked them, they replied, "Adequate.") and costs
$150. For $10 more, a 4TB HGST NAS drive runs at 7200rpm and has a 3-yr.
warranty vs. the Seagate's 2-yr. warranty.

Is there a downside to using the NAS drive instead of the "desktop"
drive in a desktop machine?

I'm not keen to get into the Seagate vs. HGST (now owned by WD) vs. WD
argument: you name any brand, and there are people who will never buy
one of their drives again.

Perce

IMO, get the HGST from Newegg at $140 each. Get two drives so you can
back up one drive to the other. HGST has 3-yr warranty, Seagate has a
2-yr warranty. Seagate has two models, ST4000DM00 (very old model) and
ST4000DM05 (newer model).

Have been running an HGST for a few years (24/7 power-on), no
problems. Seagate put the ST4000DM00 in their USB3 external boxes
(GoFlex) years ago. I use one as an external backup device. It runs
maybe 20 minutes/month, then disconnected from system.

My last 1TB Seagate from 2008 just died. Bought four retail-boxed 1TB
then. Have bought four 4TB now to replace them. The 4TB drives today
(sub-$150) are cheaper than the 1TB in 2008 ($179 each). I have 3 HGST
and one ST4000DM05.

HGST is 7200 rpm, Seagate is 5900 rpm. The old 1TB drives were 7200.
Both brands of 4TB drives run at about the same temp (30C-32C) in a
box with good air flow.