Windows backup software

Old January 4th 16, 05:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Windows backup software

I've been using Macrium Reflect for a long time. A friend of mine wants
to start backing up his system disk, so I had suggested Macrium Reflect
to him as well. Don't want to keep using the Free Edition indefinitely,
so wanted to buy a license. Found out that the price of Macrium has gone
up incredibly since I bought my own copy back about 2 versions ago.
Checked out Acronis TrueImage, and it's license was $20 less. I think
Paragon is cheaper still.

Anybody have experience with these software? How well does it compare to
Macrium? Any other suggestions?

Yousuf Khan
Old January 4th 16, 02:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

I use Boot It Bare Metal, which contains Image for DOS. It's $40.

You can work on partitions, image them, restore them, and multi boot,
with as many partitions as you want on each disk. In Windows, it can
boot a menu item with just 4 of them, of course. But one can be the kind
that contains a bunch of volumes. The menu item determines what
partitions and volumes become active for that run.

You can set a byte-by-byte verify pass to run after imaging.

If Boot It is installed as a boot manager, you can run the imager from
it, or you can run Boot It from a USB or CD, choosing Maintenance, and
then you con run the imager from there.

It takes some learning to use, but they have great support and a forum,
and a great FAQ section.

You can make differential backups associated with full backups, where
the diff contains the changes since the full.

Occasionally a BIOS won't let it run at full speed, or won't allow a
mouse in it.

If you get the bundle for $50 with Image for Windows in it, if you're
multi-booting you can image an inactive system partition from one that
you're running in. But I *would not* image the one you're running in.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

---

Old January 6th 16, 01:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Edward Diener

On 1/3/2016 11:56 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've been using Macrium Reflect for a long time. A friend of mine wants
to start backing up his system disk, so I had suggested Macrium Reflect
to him as well. Don't want to keep using the Free Edition indefinitely,
so wanted to buy a license. Found out that the price of Macrium has gone
up incredibly since I bought my own copy back about 2 versions ago.
Checked out Acronis TrueImage, and it's license was $20 less. I think
Paragon is cheaper still.

Anybody have experience with these software? How well does it compare to
Macrium? Any other suggestions?

GParted Live is absolutely free and works well. I have only had problems
with the 64-bit version on my 64-bit computer, but the 32-bit version
has always been rock-solid for me.

Using the live version you create a boot disk or boot USB and you should
be able to manipulate your hard disks as you wish outside of any hard
disk OS.

Old January 7th 16, 02:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
news
I've been using Macrium Reflect for a long time. A friend of mine wants to
start backing up his system disk, so I had suggested Macrium Reflect to
him as well. Don't want to keep using the Free Edition indefinitely, so
wanted to buy a license. Found out that the price of Macrium has gone up
incredibly since I bought my own copy back about 2 versions ago. Checked
out Acronis TrueImage, and it's license was $20 less. I think Paragon is
cheaper still.

Anybody have experience with these software?

Yes, been using TrueImage for more than a decade now, works fine.

How well does it compare to Macrium?

Haven't bothered to try it.

Any other suggestions?

I chose to avoid Norton's essentially because the way
it did live backups was risky at the time I was choosing.
Haven't bothered to check if that is still true now. Live
backups are those done while still using the system.

Old January 18th 16, 01:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 05/01/2016 7:54 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
GParted Live is absolutely free and works well. I have only had problems
with the 64-bit version on my 64-bit computer, but the 32-bit version
has always been rock-solid for me.

Using the live version you create a boot disk or boot USB and you should
be able to manipulate your hard disks as you wish outside of any hard
disk OS.

I'm looking for backup software with imaging, not just imaging software.
Last I looked Gparted was just partitioning, is it imaging and backup
now too?

Yousuf Khan