Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS?

Old January 30th 16, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Ant

Default Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS?

So, I changed to another adapter and now 64-bit W7 EE SP1 cannot see the
partitions (wants me to format it). However, Mac OS X v10.10.5
(Yosemite) had no problems. Argh.

FYI. Reusing the original adapter had no problems. Just can't use the
other ones. :/
--
Quote of the Week: "It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The
question is: what are we busy about?" --Henry David Thoreau
Old January 31st 16, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage, comp.sys.mac.system, alt.windows7.general
Wolffan

On 30 Jan 2016, Ant wrote
(in ):

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
you???re going to have problems with the partitions. Apple uses GPT, Win7
usually uses MBR. GPT systems can see MBR partitions. MBR systems can
(usually) see GPT systems which have one partition. More than one

partition,
not so much. You will experience problems with GPT partitions on 32-bit Win
7
systems, and different problems on 64-bit Win 7 systems which have older
BIOSes rather than UEFI. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

I suspect that your Win 7 system uses MBR. I really doubt that you???ll get
an MBR Win 7 system to see your partitions.

Frankly, if I were trying to set up an encrypted USB device which could

work
on both Mac and Windows, I???d simply use NTFS and get one of the

extensions
which allows OS X to read/write NTFS. There are, or used to be, several

free
NTFS extensions, and there is at least one pay version, from
Paragon.http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Alternatively, I???d get a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual Box)
and put Windows in it on the OS X machine, and read the NTFS drive using
Windows. Finally, I???d try formatting the drive HFS+ and getting a HFS+
read/write extension for Windows. Paragon offers such an extension, too.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

I used to use two of the free NTFS on Mac extensions, was dissatisfied with
the performance, bought the Paragon extension and have used it for several
years now.

I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to put two partitions,

one
HFS+ and one NTFS, on a USB device and have them be actually useable.

Interesting. I am surprised it is not possible to do multiple partitions
like that like with internal drives. Do Linux and Windows have this
problem too?

sure it’s possible to do it. You merely have to use the right partition
table. Win 7 and earlier prefers MBR. Win 7 and earlier, and all 32-bit
versions of Windows, won’t boot off GPT. You can have four bootable
partitions with MBR, 128 bootable partitions with GPT. What you can’t have
is MBR and GPT partitions on the same drive, internal or external. And you
can’t boot Win 7 off GPT, and you can’t boot an Intel Mac off MBR. Win 7
will apply MBR unless you force it not to. OS X will apply GPT unless you
force it not to. If you were using Win 8.1 or Win 10 and had the correct
hardware you could format the USB drive with GPT and it would probably work.
Not Win 7. For one thing, you are unlikely to have the correct hardware on a
Win 7 system.

If you have just one partition, either system will load it regardless of the
partition table. Internal drives very rarely have just one partition these
days. A typical Mac, for example, with have at least two: the repair
partition, which is hidden, and the main partition, which is the one you see.
If you have Boot Camp set up, you’ll have at least three partitions. All of
them will be GPT. Win 7 required hardware settings, in UEFI, to boot from a
GPT volume. Apple supplied them to Boot Camp. Without the proper UEFI
settings, Win 7 will not boot from a GPT volume and will have problems with
it. Systems which have the correct UEFI settings are almost always set up to
boot UEFI. The GPT settings are in hardware and in software, you have to have
both. if your Windows hardware does not support UEFI you are extremely
unlikely to be able to boot from a GPT volume and you are extremely likely to
have a problem accessing a GPT volume which has more than one partition.

Old January 31st 16, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

On 1/30/2016 6:44 PM, Michael Vilain wrote:

Well, mostly because dealing with partitions across different OS' is
madness and because disks are cheap, I'd put each "partition" on their
own disk. Would the Linux system be able to read/write to the NTFS
disk, yes. But if it's encrypted, that's doubtful unless there's a
Linux version of the encryption software. If the NTFS volume is being
encrypted by a native feature of Windows, I would tend to doubt it.

Same for Windows reading and writing Linux partition (ext3, ext4, zfs).
And AFAIK, there's no native encryption for those filesystems built into
Linux. It would have to be something added after the OS is installed.
Truecrypt (depricated May2014) was forked to become VeraCrypt.
VeraCrypt does support Windows, MacOS, and Linux and will allow you to
make encrypted volumes on those systems. Being able to read them
natively across each other depends on how you access the volume across
the different OS'.

http://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

But doing the native version of FileVault on MacOS and BitDefender on

You meant BitLocker.

Windows, I doubt it, even with separate drives for each filesystem.

I was OK to have other OSes not see the competitors' encrypted datas
like W7's BitLocker can't see Apple's FileVault datas and Mac OS X
v10.10.5 can't see W7's BitLocker data. I just wanted to be sure that
they don't get lost when I switch between adapters and computers which I
ran into. Also, I have a third partition, FAT, so that any OSes can
access data. This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/
--
"When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
Old January 31st 16, 04:52 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Jolly Roger[_3_]

Ant wrote:

This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/

As I recall, several people here told you that you could expect problems,
yet you marched on anyway.

JR
Old January 31st 16, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Andreas Rutishauser

Salut Ant

In article ,
Ant wrote:

I was OK to have other OSes not see the competitors' encrypted datas
like W7's BitLocker can't see Apple's FileVault datas and Mac OS X
v10.10.5 can't see W7's BitLocker data. I just wanted to be sure that
they don't get lost when I switch between adapters and computers which I
ran into. Also, I have a third partition, FAT, so that any OSes can
access data. This is a lot more complex that I thought it would be. :/

to me it seems that your adapters have different capabilities.
Get some more of the adapters that work under all conditions and trash
the others.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, http://www.MacAndreas.ch
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Old February 1st 16, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Ant

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Andreas Rutishauser wrote:

to me it seems that your adapters have different capabilities.
Get some more of the adapters that work under all conditions and trash
the others.

Which adapters would that be? There are so many. Any recommendations
that I can always rely on?
--
Quote of the Week: "Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

totaly remove bitlocker from usb drive Desmond[_3_] Homebuilt PC's 2 July 21st 14 10:50 AM
Encrypted HD? Ron Hardin Dell Computers 3 September 14th 12 08:45 PM
A8N-E and Vista BitLocker Iacobus Asus Motherboards 0 March 11th 07 03:26 AM
Vista Bitlocker Mike Asus Motherboards 2 February 15th 07 01:53 PM
Can Ghost create NTFS partitions on the fly while restoring NTFS images? Jack Storage (alternative) 8 November 9th 04 12:06 AM