Got a warning about my SSD from HD Sentinel

Old November 17th 15, 08:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Got a warning about my SSD from HD Sentinel

Yesterday, I got a big warning email from HD Sentinel stating that my
desktop's SSD is about to suffer imminent failure, it said that the Raw
Read Error Rate had crossed a certain threshold. HDS also rated the
drive health at 0%! But when I went in and logged into the machine
itself, and looked in the HDS interface itself, it showed no such
errors, and showed the drive reliability at 99%!

I've asked the developer of HDS for his opinion, he says that he thinks
I should replace the drive anyway, as it's likely indicating an ongoing
problem that's likely to recur. I'm not so sure about that. What's your
opinion?

Yousuf Khan
Old November 17th 15, 09:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Can you post smartctrl's details?

--
Quote of the Week: "Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old November 18th 15, 12:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
Yesterday, I got a big warning email from HD Sentinel stating that my
desktop's SSD is about to suffer imminent failure, it said that the Raw
Read Error Rate had crossed a certain threshold. HDS also rated the drive
health at 0%! But when I went in and logged into the machine itself, and
looked in the HDS interface itself, it showed no such errors, and showed
the drive reliability at 99%!

I've asked the developer of HDS for his opinion, he says that he thinks I
should replace the drive anyway, as it's likely indicating an ongoing
problem that's likely to recur. I'm not so sure about that. What's your
opinion?

That we need to see the actual SMART report, not just
some number that steaming turd plucks out of the air.

Old November 18th 15, 08:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 17/11/2015 6:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
That we need to see the actual SMART report, not just
some number that steaming turd plucks out of the air.

Here it is:

S.M.A.R.T.
------------
No. Attribute Thre.. Value Worst Data Status Flags
1 Raw Read Error Rate 50 120 120 0 OK Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
5 Retired Block Count 3 100 100 0 OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
9 Power On Time Count 0 81 81 17035 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
12 Drive Power Cycle Count 0 95 95 5130 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
171 Program Fail Count 0 0 0 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
172 Erase Fail Count 0 0 0 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
174 Unexpected Power Loss .. 0 0 0 46 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count
177 Wear Range Delta 0 0 0 7 OK (Always passing)
181 Program Fail Count 0 0 0 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
182 Erase Fail Count 0 0 0 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
187 Reported Uncorrectable.. 0 100 100 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
194 Disk Temperature 0 30 30 30; 30; 30 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Statistical
195 On-the-fly ECC Uncorre.. 0 100 100 0 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance
196 Reallocation Event Count 3 100 100 0 OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
201 Uncorrectable Soft Rea.. 0 100 100 0 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance
204 Soft ECC Correction 0 100 100 0 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance
230 Life Curve Status 0 100 100 100 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Statistical, Critical
231 SSD Life Left 10 99 99 0 OK Event Count, Statistical, Critical
233 Lifetime Compressed Wr.. 0 0 0 17810 OK (Always passing)
234 Vendor-specific 0 0 0 14901 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
241 Lifetime Writes from H.. 0 0 0 14901 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
242 Lifetime Reads from Ho.. 0 0 0 31788 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical

Old November 19th 15, 02:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Yousuf Khan wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That we need to see the actual SMART report, not just
some number that steaming turd plucks out of the air.

Here it is:

S.M.A.R.T.
------------
No. Attribute Thre.. Value Worst Data
Status Flags
1 Raw Read Error Rate 50 120 120 0 OK
Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
5 Retired Block Count 3 100 100 0 OK
Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical

Not clear why these are flagged as Critical but with 0 for the raw data,
presumably that is a quirk of how the manufacture has implemented
these two in the SMART report, no actual data reported at all.

[...]

Not clear why this one is flagged as critical either with again with a data
of 0.

201 Uncorrectable Soft Rea.. 0 100 100 0 OK
(Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance
204 Soft ECC Correction 0 100 100 0 OK
(Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance
230 Life Curve Status 0 100 100 100 OK
(Always passing) Event Count, Statistical, Critical
231 SSD Life Left 10 99 99 0 OK
Event Count, Statistical, Critical

Presumably HD Sentinel is getting its 0% from these two.

They certainly don’t look good at all. Ignore the
Status column, it’s the flag Critical that matters.

Certainly doesn’t look good IMO.

What is the model detail on the SSD ?

Old November 20th 15, 04:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/11/2015 8:45 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That we need to see the actual SMART report, not just
some number that steaming turd plucks out of the air.

Here it is:

S.M.A.R.T.
------------
No. Attribute Thre.. Value Worst Data
Status Flags
1 Raw Read Error Rate 50 120 120
0 OK Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
5 Retired Block Count 3 100 100
0 OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical,
Critical

Not clear why these are flagged as Critical but with 0 for the raw data,
presumably that is a quirk of how the manufacture has implemented
these two in the SMART report, no actual data reported at all.

As I said in my original message, the Raw Read Error was the one that
was critical before when the email was sent, and then immediately fixed
itself magically after I logged in to check on it.

[...]

I doubt that the Critical flag means anything other than if an error
does occur in this column, then it can be critical. It doesn't actually
mean that something crtical has happened. All you have to do is look at
the status column and it says it's OK. So it's just drawing our
attention to those columns which have a critical flags, to take these
seriously.

201 Uncorrectable Soft Rea.. 0 100 100
0 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate,
Performance
204 Soft ECC Correction 0 100 100
0 OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate,
Performance
230 Life Curve Status 0 100 100
100 OK (Always passing) Event Count,
Statistical, Critical
231 SSD Life Left 10 99 99
0 OK Event Count, Statistical, Critical

Presumably HD Sentinel is getting its 0% from these two.

They certainly don’t look good at all. Ignore the
Status column, it’s the flag Critical that matters.

Certainly doesn’t look good IMO.

Actually, this is completely fine. It means that it's got 99% of its
life left

What is the model detail on the SSD ?

Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD.

Yousuf Khan

Concerning HD Sentinel Robin Bignall Homebuilt PC's 20 December 25th 12 02:14 AM
sentinel on parallel port cdoc General 2 February 17th 06 12:51 AM
A8N-SLI and BFG GF 6800 GT OC -NVIDIA System Sentinel power warning n0sp4m Asus Motherboards 4 February 3rd 05 04:04 AM
Low Power Sentinel Warning on Aopen GF FX5900 The Old Man Nvidia Videocards 6 February 19th 04 01:17 PM
NVidia sentinel: how do I disable it? Myspareidentity Nvidia Videocards 0 December 2nd 03 08:20 PM