Mac OS X doesn't see the encrypted partitions on my external SATA HDD when using different adapter/controllers?

Old November 17th 15, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

Default Mac OS X doesn't see the encrypted partitions on my external SATA HDD when using different adapter/controllers?

Hi.

I got 3 external USB cable adapters to use with external drives like
HDDs. I recently used a 3.5" SATA WD 2 TB HDD to back up with Time
Machine with encryptions. 2 of them resulted Mac OS X not recognizing
the connected drive and offered me to run Disk Utility which showed 2
TB, but not its 3 encrypted partitions.

I had to use my old 1 that I used originally when I created/made my
three 666 (amusing satanic sizes, isn't it?) GB partitions. Is Mac OS X
(Yosemite v10.10.5 on an early 2015 15" MBP Retina with a 251 GB SSD)
picky on detecting different drive controllers on those adapters and
must have the original 1?

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old November 17th 15, 02:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Jolly Roger[_3_]

On 2015-11-17, Ant wrote:
Hi.

I got 3 external USB cable adapters

Make and model please.

to use with external drives like
HDDs. I recently used a 3.5" SATA WD 2 TB HDD to back up with Time
Machine with encryptions.

2 of them resulted Mac OS X not recognizing the connected drive

2 of what?

and offered me to run Disk Utility which showed 2
TB, but not its 3 encrypted partitions.

You need to supply *way* more details for any of this to make actual
sense.

I had to use my old 1 that I used originally when I created/made my
three 666 (amusing satanic sizes, isn't it?) GB partitions.

You old 1 what?

Is Mac OS X
(Yosemite v10.10.5 on an early 2015 15" MBP Retina with a 251 GB SSD)
picky on detecting different drive controllers on those adapters and
must have the original 1?

Much more information is required.

JR
Old November 17th 15, 07:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

I got 3 external USB cable adapters

Make and model please.

1. Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter = the original one that detected
my encrypted partitions and their Time Machine backups like the first
time.

2. USB3.0 to SATA&IDE cable Model WLX-891U3 = failed

3. No brand and model I could find on it = failed

to use with external drives like
HDDs. I recently used a 3.5" SATA WD 2 TB HDD to back up with Time
Machine with encryptions.

2 of them resulted Mac OS X not recognizing the connected drive

2 of what?

2 of the adapters. Vantec adapter had no problems.

and offered me to run Disk Utility which showed 2
TB, but not its 3 encrypted partitions.

You need to supply *way* more details for any of this to make actual
sense.

Here is what I see when Mac OS X can't detected my encrypted Time
Machine partitions on the external 2 TB HDD with the 2 non-Vantec
adapters: http://imgur.com/a/uneDX

I had to use my old 1 that I used originally when I created/made my
three 666 (amusing satanic sizes, isn't it?) GB partitions.

You old 1 what?

Vantec adapter.

Is Mac OS X
(Yosemite v10.10.5 on an early 2015 15" MBP Retina with a 251 GB SSD)
picky on detecting different drive controllers on those adapters and
must have the original 1?

Much more information is required.

I hope the above helps?
Old November 17th 15, 07:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
David Empson

Ant wrote:

[...]

System Information's view of the drive (in the system report USB
category) would be more helpful as it lets us see details for the drive
and all its partitions at once. Your screen shot really only shows the
drive level and a vague hint at what it thinks the partitions are.

Also important: corresponding details when you use the Vantec adapter,
so we can see what it is supposed to look like.

I had to use my old 1 that I used originally when I created/made my
three 666 (amusing satanic sizes, isn't it?) GB partitions.

You old 1 what?

Vantec adapter.

Is Mac OS X
(Yosemite v10.10.5 on an early 2015 15" MBP Retina with a 251 GB SSD)
picky on detecting different drive controllers on those adapters and
must have the original 1?

Much more information is required.

I hope the above helps?

At the moment I don't have enough information to form a theory.

--
David Empson

Old November 17th 15, 08:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

Here is what I see when Mac OS X can't detected my encrypted Time
Machine partitions on the external 2 TB HDD with the 2 non-Vantec
adapters: http://imgur.com/a/uneDX

System Information's view of the drive (in the system report USB
category) would be more helpful as it lets us see details for the drive
and all its partitions at once. Your screen shot really only shows the
drive level and a vague hint at what it thinks the partitions are.

Also important: corresponding details when you use the Vantec adapter,
so we can see what it is supposed to look like.

OK. I'll do it later since I'm going to bed soon. |)
Old November 17th 15, 05:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

Here is what I see when Mac OS X can't detected my encrypted Time
Machine partitions on the external 2 TB HDD with the 2 non-Vantec
adapters: http://imgur.com/a/uneDX

System Information's view of the drive (in the system report USB
category) would be more helpful as it lets us see details for the drive
and all its partitions at once. Your screen shot really only shows the
drive level and a vague hint at what it thinks the partitions are.

Also important: corresponding details when you use the Vantec adapter,
so we can see what it is supposed to look like.

I hope I am looking at the right USB sections that sees my 2 TB 3.5"
SATA HDD (wished there was a way to export all of USB sections at once;
FYI, 250 GB is the internal SSD):

NON-ADAPTER #1:
USB Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x1e26
PCI Revision ID: 0x0004
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x1d

Hub:

Product ID: 0x0024
Vendor ID: 0x8087 (Intel Corporation)
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Built-In: Yes

USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge:

Product ID: 0x2338
Vendor ID: 0x152d (JMicron Technology Corp.)
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: D57CC481422C
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: JMicron
Location ID: 0x1d110000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
disk2s1:
Capacity: 250.05 GB (250,049,866,240 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s1
Content: 0xEE

Hub:

Product ID: 0x2512
Vendor ID: 0x0424 (SMSC)
Version: b.b3
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x1d180000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Built-In: Yes

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x0262
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 2.22
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x1d182000 / 5
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 40
Built-In: Yes

BRCM20702 Hub:

Product ID: 0x4500
Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x1d181000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 94
Built-In: Yes

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x8286
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 1.50
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x1d181300 / 8
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Built-In: Yes

[...]

NON-VANTEC ADAPTER #2:
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x1e31
PCI Revision ID: 0x0004
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x0a

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x0611
Vendor ID: 0x1f75 (Innostor Co., Ltd.)
Version: 0.06
Serial Number: 20130702
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer:
Location ID: 0x15100000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 800
Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
disk2s1:
Capacity: 250.05 GB (250,049,866,240 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s1
Content: 0xEE

VANTEC ADAPTER:
USB Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x1e26
PCI Revision ID: 0x0004
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x1d

Hub:

Product ID: 0x0024
Vendor ID: 0x8087 (Intel Corporation)
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Built-In: Yes

USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge:

Product ID: 0x2338
Vendor ID: 0x152d (JMicron Technology Corp.)
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: 000001D91CC4
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: JMicron
Location ID: 0x1d110000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
EFI:
Capacity: 314.6 MB (314,572,800 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s1
Content: EFI
Volume UUID: E783267B-A4C3-3556-B751-DBED770EB996
disk2s2:
Capacity: 666.8 GB (666,800,029,696 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s2
Content: Apple_CoreStorage
Boot OS X:
Capacity: 134.2 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s3
Content: Apple_Boot
Volume UUID: EBE804A8-9A50-3480-84B5-B9C3B5E66B7C
disk2s4:
Capacity: 666.8 GB (666,799,308,800 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s4
Content: Apple_CoreStorage
Boot OS X:
Capacity: 134.2 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s5
Content: Apple_Boot
Volume UUID: 2C761115-3344-3356-B5A3-4E8F94C231CA
FAT32:
Capacity: 666.08 GB (666,081,759,232 bytes)
Available: 665.92 GB (665,916,407,808 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk2s6
Mount Point: /Volumes/FAT32
Content: Microsoft Basic Data
Volume UUID: 675CFF06-5EB7-3285-809D-6597383FCECF

[...]

I hope those help.
Old November 17th 15, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

I did more tests with the same setups with a borrowed Lenovo W530
laptop/notebook with its updated 64-bit W7 EE SP1. The results were
similiar the 3 adapters. Even more stranger is that I tried formatting a
TM partition to a plain FAT32 on MBP to see if Windows could see it.
Only Vantec adapter could see it while the other 2 couldn't see any
partitions. See http://imgur.com/a/HlyvC for those Windows screen
(shot/capture)s [167.68 GB is the internal SSD). What the frak?

Am I setting up this 2 TB HDD incorrectly or something? A few months ago
in Mac OS X, I told its Disk Utility to (mak/creat)e 3 partitions for 3
different encrypted TM backups with Vantec adapter. I don't get why both
OSes can't see any partitions with the 2 non-Vantec adapters. Am I
missing something or doing this wrong?

Old November 18th 15, 12:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
David Empson

Ant wrote:

Here is what I see when Mac OS X can't detected my encrypted Time
Machine partitions on the external 2 TB HDD with the 2 non-Vantec
adapters: http://imgur.com/a/uneDX

System Information's view of the drive (in the system report USB
category) would be more helpful as it lets us see details for the drive
and all its partitions at once. Your screen shot really only shows the
drive level and a vague hint at what it thinks the partitions are.

Also important: corresponding details when you use the Vantec adapter,
so we can see what it is supposed to look like.

I hope I am looking at the right USB sections that sees my 2 TB 3.5"
SATA HDD (wished there was a way to export all of USB sections at once;
FYI, 250 GB is the internal SSD):

Trimming the irrelevant and duplicated bits, minor editing for clarity,
and putting the working version first...

[...]

NON-[VANTEC] ADAPTER #1:
[...]

An obvious difference with non-Vantec adapter #1 is that it shows a
different partition map type (MBR instead of GUID partition table). This
suggests this adapter is somehow not correctly accessing the early
sectors on the drive and as a result the Mac is misreading the content
of the drive.

It also shows a 250 GB partition (presumably read from the bogus MBR)
which is completely unrelated to what is on the drive.

NON-VANTEC ADAPTER #2:
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus:

[...]

Non-Vantec Adapter #2 is USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0, and shows the
drive as a composite device instead of an ATA bridge, but otherwise has
the same wrong information as Non-Vantec Adapter #1.

My best theory:

The drive is using "4K native" sectors (instead of 512 bytes per sector,
or 4K per sector with 512-byte emulation) and the Vantec adapter is the
only one of the three which supports this. As a result, the other
adapters are misreading the volume (reading the first 512 bytes out of
every 4K sector, and discarding the rest).

This happens to allow reading the protective/legacy MBR at the start of
the GUID partition table, but the rest of the GUID partition table is
missing. Note the "Content: 0xEE" which is also consistent with GUID
Partition Table: the protective MBR contains what looks like a single
partition occupying the entire drive, with a partition type of 0xEE.

A related clue is that the partition size reported by the non-Vantec
adapters is just under 1/8th of the drive capacity, which would be
consistent with MBR reporting the partition size in logical sectors
(counting 4K sectors instead of 512 byte sectors).

Assuming I'm right, this is either a jumper setting or fixed feature of
the particular drive you are using. If it is a jumper setting (for 4K
native vs 512-byte emulation) and you want to change to the 512 byte
emulation mode, you would need to competely erase the drive after
changing the jumper, because all content of the drive is set up assuming
4K sectors.

--
David Empson

Old November 18th 15, 02:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
Ant

An obvious difference with non-Vantec adapter #1 is that it shows a
different partition map type (MBR instead of GUID partition table). This
suggests this adapter is somehow not correctly accessing the early
sectors on the drive and as a result the Mac is misreading the content
of the drive.

It also shows a 250 GB partition (presumably read from the bogus MBR)
which is completely unrelated to what is on the drive.

Ah, I thought that was the internal SSD earlier. Heh.

NON-VANTEC ADAPTER #2:
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus:

[...]

Hmm, I never changed anything on this drive. FYI,
http://imgur.com/a/49Agm for the 2 shots of the drive (label and
connectors). Bah, I have to erase it to do that if supported?

I wonder what happened if I used the non-Vantec adapters and redid the
partitions. Would Vantec have problems then?

Sheesh, I didn't think this would be complex and difficult.
Old November 18th 15, 05:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system
David Empson

Ant wrote:

David Empson wrote:

[...]

System Information didn't report the sector size, but I've found how to
get it from the diskutil command. With your drive connected to the
Vantec adapter, use the following commands in Terminal:

diskutil list

Confirm that the drive is identified as /dev/disk2 (as it was in your
System Information report). If it has been assigned to a different disk
number, adjust the following command accordingly.

diskutil info disk2 | grep Block

This should output a line like this:

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes
or
Device Block Size: 4096 Bytes

Try it again with one of the non-Vantec adapters.

I expect you will see 4096 bytes from the Vantec, but 512 bytes from the
non-Vantec.

Hmm, I never changed anything on this drive. FYI,
http://imgur.com/a/49Agm for the 2 shots of the drive (label and
connectors). Bah, I have to erase it to do that if supported?

That shows it is a Western Digital Green, model WD20EZRX. According to
WD's web site, that drive uses Advanced Format (AF), i.e. it has 4K
sectors. The label doesn't mention jumpers, so it probably doesn't have
one to change how 4K sectors are handled. (Older WD drives did have a
jumper relating to AF, but it only affected performance with Windows XP.
That issue can be addressed in software with more recent WD drives.)

Input or corrections from others with more experience in this area is
welcome. Here's my interpretation of the situation.

I don't have enough detailed technical knowledge of how 4K sector size
is implemented at the level of the ATA command set, but from what I have
read it is clearly backward compatible with older OSes (e.g. Windows
XP), only affecting performance, which implies that for an internal
drive, the 512 byte emulation mode is used automatically when the OS
doesn't support native 4K sectors. It is therefore a choice made by the
OS whether to use 4K sectors (if the drive supports them).

For an external drive, the USB to SATA bridge is either an older bridge
which only supports 512 byte sectors (in which case it would use 512e
mode with an Advanced Format drive), or a newer bridge which can support
either 512 byte or 4K sectors. If the bridge supports 4K sectors, it may
make an executive decision about whether to use 512e or 4K mode with an
Advanced Format drive.

For Windows XP compatibility, the sectors must be 512 bytes. The maximum
drive capacity supported by Windows XP is 2 TB (due to Master Boot
Record limitations), therefore any 2 TB or smaller external drive SHOULD
use 512 byte sectors, just in case it is plugged into Windows XP. That
suggests it is reasonble for a USB to SATA bridge to force 512e mode
with a 2 TB or smaller drive, even if the bridge supports 4K sectors.

If the drive capacity is greater than 2 TB then it cannot be used (to
its full capacity) with Windows XP anyway, so a USB to SATA bridge which
supports 4K sectors can use them if the drive also supports them.

Your drive happens to be exactly 2 TB, so it might be a victim of
different choices made by your USB to SATA bridges.

I expect that your Vantec adapter is able to pass through the commands
and information required to allow the host to use 4K sectors, and is not
forcing 512e mode for 2 TB and smaller drives. The Mac has supported 4K
sectors since Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), so it set up the drive's partition
table using 4K sectors.

Your other two adapters are accessing the drive in 512e mode, which is
not compatible with how the drive is formatted. I don't have enough
information to determine whether this is a choice the adapters made
because the drive capacity is 2 TB or smaller, or if they simply don't
support 4K sectors.

Because the drive has been formatted as 4K, the partition table doesn't
make sense when the drive is accessed via your non-Vantec adapters.

I wonder what happened if I used the non-Vantec adapters and redid the
partitions. Would Vantec have problems then?

Not clear to me yet.

In that case the drive would be set up using 512 byte (emulated)
sectors, but I can't see anything in the MBR (or GPT) which specifies
the sector size. The host can probably deduce the sector size from the
partition table given the drive capacity, in which case it may still
work with your Vantec adapter.

If the host relies on the sector size reported by the drive via the USB
to SATA bridge, there would be a mutual incompatiblity between your
adapters for Advanced Format drives (or at least AF drives of 2 TB or
smaller).

Sheesh, I didn't think this would be complex and difficult.

It isn't for internal drives (unless moved to an older OS which doesn't
support the sector size), nor for preassembled external drives (which
come with a manufacturer-supplied bridge board set up correctly for the
drive).

If you are using external drives with a mixture of bridges, you can run
into this sort of problem due to different implementations in the
bridges.

--
David Empson