Silicon Power 32 GB USB flash drive gets hot and has speed problems?

Old October 3rd 15, 02:48 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Silicon Power 32 GB USB flash drive gets hot and has speed problems?

Hello.

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else. I formatted it with Mac's HFS+ with journals as a single
partition. I copied lots of files and stuff for a few hours, but noticed
it is gets slower even copying a 1.7 MB took over a minute! Even
(unmount/eject)ing had problems (Finder couldn't eject). I used two
different MacBook Pros and their multiple direct USB ports. I have not
tried Windows and Linux yet since they don't use HFS.

I tried formatting it again and redoing it, but same thing after a few
hours. Am I doing something wrong with HFS setup with it?

I even tried Disk Utility and it reported no problems on whole drive,
and then found errors in partition to force me to reformat. The second
time it happened again, I didn't get any Disk Utility's errors.

FYI:
FYI according to Mac OS X v10.10.5???s About This Mac???s Storage and USB
sections:

32GB:

Available: 28.32 GB (28,318,318,592 bytes)
Capacity: 32.12 GB (32,119,939,072 bytes)
Mount Point: /Volumes/32GB
File System: Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: Yes
BSD Name: disk2s2
Volume UUID: F2CB1FA1-2083-3BD3-80F6-743A2F4DDCB1
Physical Drive:
Media Name: SRT USB Media
Protocol: USB
Internal: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported

USB:

Product ID: 0x1000
Vendor ID: 0x090c (Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan)
Version: 11.00
Serial Number: AA0DY4CZA[deleted]
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: SRT
Location ID: 0x1d110000 / 7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Capacity: 32.46 GB (32,463,912,960 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
EFI:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk2s1
Content: EFI
Volume UUID: 0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B
32GB:
Capacity: 32.12 GB (32,119,939,072 bytes)
Available: 28.32 GB (28,318,318,592 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk2s2
Mount Point: /Volumes/32GB
Content: Apple_HFS
Volume UUID: F2CB1FA1-2083-3BD3-80F6-743A2F4DDCB1

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
Old October 3rd 15, 02:59 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
nospam

In article , Ant
wrote:

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.
Old October 3rd 15, 03:22 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage nospam wrote:
In article , Ant
wrote:

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.

Even 1.7 MB to copy that takes over a minute? That is like USB1.1 speed?
Old October 3rd 15, 03:34 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
nospam

In article , Ant
wrote:

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.

Even 1.7 MB to copy that takes over a minute? That is like USB1.1 speed?

no it isn't. that sounds like a reasonable speed for a usb 2 stick.

most of them are not all that fast.
Old October 3rd 15, 03:56 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
nospam

In article , Your Name
wrote:

Even 1.7 MB to copy that takes over a minute? That is like USB1.1 speed?

It may also depend on which socket you plug into - the sockets on the
side / back of the old Mac wired keyboards, for example, were slower
than those on the computer itself.

the old keyboard ports were usb 1 ports back when the macs had usb 1
ports.

Copying via the Finder can be slow, probably because it verifies the
copy. It can also be slow if the source and/or destination drives are
having issues.

actually it doesn't veryify, but it is slow.
Old October 3rd 15, 04:07 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Your Name

In article , Ant
wrote:

Hello.

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else. I formatted it with Mac's HFS+ with journals as a single
partition. I copied lots of files and stuff for a few hours, but noticed
it is gets slower even copying a 1.7 MB took over a minute! Even
(unmount/eject)ing had problems (Finder couldn't eject). I used two
different MacBook Pros and their multiple direct USB ports. I have not
tried Windows and Linux yet since they don't use HFS.

I tried formatting it again and redoing it, but same thing after a few
hours.

snip

"a few hours"?!?!?

USB keyring flash drives aren't really designed to be permanently
plugged in storage. They're for transferring data between device.

Possibly it is being accessed a lot, perhaps by Spotlight trying to
index it.

Other than that, it's really down to the design and how tightly the
electronics are packed in. I've got a little Imation Nano USB flash
drive which I know gets quite hot after a few minutes. I've also got a
physically bigger Toshiba USB keyring drive that doesn't get hot that
I've noticed.
Old October 3rd 15, 04:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Your Name

wrote:

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.

Even 1.7 MB to copy that takes over a minute? That is like USB1.1 speed?

It may also depend on which socket you plug into - the sockets on the
side / back of the old Mac wired keyboards, for example, were slower
than those on the computer itself.

Copying via the Finder can be slow, probably because it verifies the
copy. It can also be slow if the source and/or destination drives are
having issues.

I use "Synchronize! Pro X" when making regular-ish backups of a large
work folder, and it's *A LOT* faster than using the Finder on my
ancient Mac OS X 10.2 G3 PowerMac.
Old October 3rd 15, 06:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.

Even 1.7 MB to copy that takes over a minute? That is like USB1.1 speed?

It may also depend on which socket you plug into - the sockets on the
side / back of the old Mac wired keyboards, for example, were slower
than those on the computer itself.

Well, these were on MacBook Pros' USB ports. I did post the details
about the USB stuff in my original post.
Old October 3rd 15, 06:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I have a 32 GB Silicon Power (SP) USB flash drive that gets very hot and
gets really slow. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or something
else.

the specs you posted show it to be a usb2 device. that's not all that
fast.

Its a low brand product that's why they are Cheap..

Bah. What are the good brands then?
Old October 3rd 15, 06:34 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Does anyone know if there is a good USB flash drive checker that does
more than Mac OS X's Disk Utility verifications and repairs? Maybe
surface scans or something?