Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

Old September 10th 15, 03:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for less
than they sell any 6TB internal drive?
Old September 10th 15, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:46:45 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for less
than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

I don't know, but it's been true for quite a few years now, so I take
advantage of the situation by buying an external drive when I need an
internal drive. It usually only takes a few minutes to strip the drive out
of its case.

Old September 10th 15, 08:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

wrote:

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for less
than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

Can you give specific examples?

I'm sure there are some examples of the same drive being cheaper
when buying in an external case, but many times:
1a. The drive is slower than you would normally buy for internal use.
1b. Since the actual drive model in the external drive isn't
specified, the model can vary depending on what is available.
2. The warranty period is shorter.
3. Two drives are in the external case, so a given capacity
can be achieved with cheaper disks.
4. If you are comparing retail packages, the retail package,
my include cables, brackets, and cloning software that
isn't in the (retail) external drive.
5. Maybe even, the external drive is being sold with a lower
margin for some business reason.

Old September 10th 15, 09:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2015-09-10, Mark F wrote:
I'm sure there are some examples of the same drive being cheaper
when buying in an external case, but many times:

I've found a few instances where with an external drive, the drive itself
had a USB interface instead of SATA. (Don't know how common that is but
I have seen it.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old September 10th 15, 09:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:27:23 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2015-09-10, Mark F wrote:
I'm sure there are some examples of the same drive being cheaper
when buying in an external case, but many times:

I've found a few instances where with an external drive, the drive itself
had a USB interface instead of SATA. (Don't know how common that is but
I have seen it.)

I've never heard of such a beast. If you run across an example, please post
a link. Thanks.

Old September 10th 15, 10:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

wrote:

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for less
than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

Can you give specific examples?

6TB external $199 ($179 with a coupon code):

Seagate's cheapest 6TB internal (bare) drive, which is what I am
*guessing* is in the external box (or perhaps with a smaller cache) is
$50/$70 mo

Old September 10th 15, 10:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

On 2015-09-10, Mark F wrote:
I'm sure there are some examples of the same drive being cheaper
when buying in an external case, but many times:

I've found a few instances where with an external drive, the drive itself
had a USB interface instead of SATA. (Don't know how common that is but
I have seen it.)

I've never heard of such a beast.

There are some around.

If you run across an example, please post a link. Thanks.

Old September 10th 15, 10:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Percival P. Cassidy wrote

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer --
can sell an external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter
and a cable for less than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

Because the external drive isn't just a single 6TB drive.
Old September 10th 15, 10:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/10/2015 05:15 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for
less than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

Because the external drive isn't just a single 6TB drive.

Hardly any different in size from my 2TB and 5TB ones. Don't think
there's room for two drives in there.

Perce

Old September 11th 15, 03:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2015-09-10, Mark Perkins wrote:
I've never heard of such a beast. If you run across an example, please post
a link. Thanks.

Wish I could remember the model but it was a couple of years ago.
I do recall that it was a 2.5" model, a friend wanted to install it in
an old laptop that had a failed drive. Opened up the case and - surprise!

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com