Motherboard will not post with 4GB

Old March 3rd 14, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Default Motherboard will not post with 4GB

Four and a half years ago, I build a system with an Asus P5KPL-CM as a
motherboard, with 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules. It has run well for
that time, but now locks up on POST. (The splash screen does not even
finish painting.)

If I pull either one of the memory modules, from either one of the
slots, the system will boot.

If I put in 2 x 1GB PC2-6400 RAM, the system will boot.

If I put in a diffent 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules, the system will not
boot. Either module in either slot allows the system to boot.

The BIOS has been updated to the current version, but it has had no
effect on this odd behavior.

Any speculations as to what might be going on?

Old March 4th 14, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

On 03/03/2014 05:12 PM, Grinder wrote:
Four and a half years ago, I build a system with an Asus P5KPL-CM as a
motherboard, with 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules. It has run well for
that time, but now locks up on POST. (The splash screen does not even
finish painting.)

If I pull either one of the memory modules, from either one of the
slots, the system will boot.

If I put in 2 x 1GB PC2-6400 RAM, the system will boot.

If I put in a diffent 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules, the system will not
boot. Either module in either slot allows the system to boot.

The BIOS has been updated to the current version, but it has had no
effect on this odd behavior.

Any speculations as to what might be going on?

No idea. Did you try setting the BIOS to default?
Old March 4th 14, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Grinder wrote:
Four and a half years ago, I build a system with an Asus P5KPL-CM as a
motherboard, with 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules. It has run well for
that time, but now locks up on POST. (The splash screen does not even
finish painting.)

If I pull either one of the memory modules, from either one of the
slots, the system will boot.

If I put in 2 x 1GB PC2-6400 RAM, the system will boot.

If I put in a diffent 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules, the system will not
boot. Either module in either slot allows the system to boot.

The BIOS has been updated to the current version, but it has had no
effect on this odd behavior.

Any speculations as to what might be going on?

A failure at 2x2GB here as well.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

I checked the G31 datasheet, and it does have a 36 bit FSB interface.
Which implies it supports memory hoisting. That makes it a tiny
bit less likely, that this is a 4GB hardware barrier issue. It has two
channels, supports one DIMM per channel, accepts 2GB DIMMs (16 chips per DIMM).
For a total of 4GB. Any memory not fitting in the address space, should
be hoisted out of the way, above 4GB. And be ignored by a 32 bit OS.

If the G31 graphics are turned off, you might turn them on. Even
if not using them. Perhaps if it uses up a bit of RAM for the
G31, that'll be enough to "correct" the memory map.

The forum above, there seem to be a lot of issues with the BIOS design.
There was at least one quite different motherboard in the past, where
there was something wrong with the memory map, and "USB overcurrent" would
flash up on the OS screen, due to some overlap between some
motherboard resource and system memory. Try playing with things that
consume RAM (such as G31 GPU setting) and see if that helps.

Another possible issue, is 1GB DIMMs versus 2GB DIMMs. When
2GB DIMMS came out, many BIOS lacked "tuning" for them. Insert
a 2GB DIMM, and it would throw errors. But, you've tested with
1x2GB and passed, so it's probably not an optimization problem.
I have a motherboard here, where 2GB DIMMs are still unstable,
while 1GB DIMMs are "rock solid". You can Prime95 forever with
the 1GB DIMMs, and nothing bad happens.

So my wild guess would be:

1) Immature BIOS (designed by the B-team)
2) Memory map problem. Toggle any control that you think
might impact the BIOS constructed memory map.
3) I was considering a suggestion of changing PNP OS setting
from No to Yes, but I don't really think that would do
anything.

HTH,
Paul
Old March 4th 14, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 3/3/2014 7:04 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/03/2014 05:12 PM, Grinder wrote:
Four and a half years ago, I build a system with an Asus P5KPL-CM as a
motherboard, with 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules. It has run well for
that time, but now locks up on POST. (The splash screen does not even
finish painting.)

If I pull either one of the memory modules, from either one of the
slots, the system will boot.

If I put in 2 x 1GB PC2-6400 RAM, the system will boot.

If I put in a diffent 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 RAM modules, the system will not
boot. Either module in either slot allows the system to boot.

The BIOS has been updated to the current version, but it has had no
effect on this odd behavior.

Any speculations as to what might be going on?

No idea. Did you try setting the BIOS to default?

Yes--both manually, and as an option when I flashed the BIOS.
Old March 4th 14, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 3/3/2014 8:27 PM, Paul wrote:
Grinder wrote:
[...]

The onboard video is in use.

[...]

Thanks, Paul--will tinker and let you know if anything comes of it.

New motherboard that does not post Daniel Prince General 17 July 19th 12 10:39 AM
motherboard post Christo General 4 October 1st 06 11:44 PM
Motherboard will not POST Tom Mislewski Homebuilt PC's 2 June 1st 05 12:26 AM
New motherboard won't post. Machine Messiah General 28 April 24th 04 06:13 AM
Motherboard won't post? Gary LosHuertos General 5 February 4th 04 09:46 AM