Intel says it remains committed to user-replaceable CPUs for "foreseeable future"

Old December 7th 12, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Default Intel says it remains committed to user-replaceable CPUs for "foreseeable future"

http://www.zdnet.com/intel-says-it-r...re-7000008485/

Old December 7th 12, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

geoff wrote:
http://www.zdnet.com/intel-says-it-r...re-7000008485/

You'd think Intel could at least give each of us
a free processor upgrade, for all the pain and
suffering caused by that rumor :-)

Paul

Old December 7th 12, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

"Paul" wrote:

geoff wrote:
http://www.zdnet.com/intel-says-it-r...re-7000008485/

You'd think Intel could at least give each of us
a free processor upgrade, for all the pain and
suffering caused by that rumor :-)

And pick-a-brand computer manufacturer should give a free computer to
everyone because someone chose to report on something they claimed was
true but gave no sources. When you have personal blogs posing as news
and freelance writers that don't qualify their background experience or
accreditations, you get rumors, misinformation, and disinformation.
Intel is doing damage control caused by a rumor that apparently was
started by Kazuki Kasahara who does not cite his sources. Intel makes
no such announcement and Kasahara never mentions getting a leak from
inside Intel.

It wasn't Intel that made the announcement. Tis the "advantage" of free
speech: you get to hear what anyone wants to say. So who was it really
that started the rumor and should be held responsible for what they
said? Yousuf (here) who announced the xbitlabs report? xbitlabs who
reported on some freelance article at the Japanese PC Watch web site
(http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp) whose report came from other sources and
so on? xbitlabs didn't bother to give a direct link to the PC Watch
article so I'm guessing this one might be it:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/c...22_574440.html

I don't read Japanese so I'm stuck using Google Translate. Do you see
the PC Watch article mention any sources for their article? Is not
revealing sources something typical of Japanese journalism? Is the
title referring to Japan's "Information-technology Promotion Agency"
(IPA) or is that just the section at this web site in which this article
got categorized? Is this just someone's blog posing as news? Who is
Ikki Kasahara (from the title)? Is Kazuki Kasahara the author of the
article? The site doesn't provide links on their names to provide an
identity for someone they regularly employ to report at their web site
so you could check on their past articles, if they have any, to see if
they ever do quantity their sources. A search there on those names
turned up nothing. At https://twitter.com/KazukiKasahara, he claims he
is a "Technical Writer" where his customer (employer) is PC Watch. What
are his accredidations as a journalist? This looks like him, too:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kazuki-kasahara/8/b21/913. So what are the
qualifications to be a "freelance" technical writer? Are there any? At
the LinkedIn site, a link points back at PC Watch for his "personal
website". That's just a profile at PC Watch listing his articles there.
Even after using a bogus e-mail address to create a LinkedIn account
which is supposedly needed to see the full profile at LinkedIn, there
wasn't anything addition to discover. He treats LinkedIn like a
Facebook page. The professionals I've found there usually include their
resume which lists their accreditations.

If legal responsibility were enforced, I'm sure they would point the
finger at another resource on which they based their report (but didn't
identify) and so on down the chain until it got fuzzy and with no leads
for sources coming from Intel itself. If pressured, Kasahara might tell
us from where he got his source of info. I wouldn't be surprised that
it came from other blogs posing as news articles. If Intel had said
they were going to move all production to BGA then the so-called
reporters would have referred to the Intel announcement.

Because xbitlabs doesn't give a link to the actual article to which they
refer (which makes vague the source for the xbitlabs article), I'm only
guessing it was Kasahara's article on which xbitlabs based their
article. They fed off an article that doesn't prove itself by reporting
the sources that claim what Intel is doing. "Then, one big change is
that the generation is not available Broadwell LGA, which has been for
the desktop PC and the other in terms of the platform. As already
mentioned, because it is only available in BGA, Broadwell generation,
the package will not be available as well ìPGA LGA." Already mentioned
WHERE? Was it from "According to the information of muscle OEM
manufacturer, ..." in that same article? So we have an author claiming
some unidentified major chip maker (just one) said something. Well,
maybe that is true for that one chip maker who might be focusing their
production quota on CPUs for the Xbox.

One author flubs and Intel should be held responsible? Uh huh, sure.
(Yeah, I noticed your winkie but wanted to see where the rumor started.)
Old December 8th 12, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

You'd think Intel could at least give each of us ...

You need a mobile device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zei9HpygMN4

.... and be sure to password it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrWgjh9tnU