Best GPU for maximum memory i/o for TDP of 90 watts.

Old May 19th 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Best GPU for maximum memory i/o for TDP of 90 watts.

Hello,

I am not sure exactly how much the XFX GTX 7900 512 MB graphics cards
produces in TDP it's not on this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...cit e_note-26

Some other weblinks mentioned 90 watts... but it could also be different
depending on nm used.

Anyway I will assume the 90 watts.

I am interested in replacing this graphics card with a CUDA enabled graphics
card.

I want to use it for maximum memory input and output this means maximum
ammount of reads and writes to the graphics card's memory, also the more
memory the better.

Calculations are not that important.

There are many different graphics cards designs with different memory chips
which might or might not influence the maximum memory i/o.

Which NVIDIA graphics cards would be best for maximum memory i/o at TDP
around 90 watts ?!?

I am interested in a single slot and dual slot card. So you may choose two
?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 11, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

To clearify it a bit:

With memory i/o I mean mostly random access.

There will be a huge ammount of threads in parallel that will do
read/write/random access to hide the memory latency.

I am hoping the cuda cores can schedule i/o requests and move on to other
tasks until the memory comes in.

(Like asynchronous memory system)

So which GPU/chips would be best ?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 11, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Also further clearification:

All of the memory will be used, so I expect caching to have little effect
and little use.

So which one(s) are best under these conditions ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 11, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

7900 GTX is 84.2 watts (measured).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...x_6.html#sect0

The GTX 580 uses 26.5W when idle, and 264.1W when running a game. Memory
bandwidth is on the order of 192GB/sec compared to 51GB/sec for your old card.
So a high end card has close to four times the bandwidth. If you
move down to a lower end card, then chances are the memory bandwidth
will be smaller.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...0_5.html#sect0

The GTX 550 Ti uses 10.7W idle and 91.1W in a 3D game. Memory bandwidth
is 98GB/sec compared to your old card at 51GB/sec.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...c_3.html#sect0

You can get a GTX 580 with 3GB of memory on board.

The GTX 550 Ti is available with 2GB of memory.

The GTX 580 is a fairly long card, so it would be a good
idea to check the clearance available inside your computer case.
The GTX 550 Ti is a bit shorter, and likely to fit in more
cases. Check the motherboard, to make sure the SATA connectors are
not underneath the tail end of the video card. Some motherboards
have right-angle SATA connector columns, to avoid interference from
the video card.

HTH,
Paul
Old May 20th 11, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

So far I see two interesting cards:

1. GeForce GT 545 DDR3 (70 TDP)
Memory:
1536 MiB
or
3072 MiB
Config core ?: 144:24:24
Core MHz: 720
See chart for other differences
Bandwidth: 43 GB/S (even lower than a GTX 7900 ! )

2. GeForce GT 545 GDDR5 (105 TDP)
Memory:
1024 MiB (seems a bit low compared to the other card)
Config core ?: 144:24:16
Core MHz: 870
See chart for other differences
Other big difference:
Bandwidth: 64 GB/S

At first glance Number 2 seems to be the faster card, but the reduced
memory size could hurt it's performance ?!?

However card 1 seems to have a weird memory chip layout ?!? (and uses the
older/slower(?) DDR3)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Perhaps I will go for a passively cooled graphics cards instead... that way
I pretty much never have to clean it... perhaps a quick blow and then it's
good to go...

It's kinda disgusting... the idea of having a dust stuffed dust sucker in
the case... especially the 590 seems like a real dust sucker... the big
question is: can the graphics case be easily detached for cleaning purposes
?!? I would guess so but I am not sure... same question for these GT 545
models.

The problem with these graphics card cases is:

They are not transparent... so it's very hard to see if there is dust inside
or not.

At least the GTX 7900's case was transparent... a big plus.

Failing to notice dust build up inside of such beasts can probably be
catastrophic on the long term...

Especially these new 590 models which can generate 360 watts of heat or
so...

These are probably fire hazards ! I totally expect more gamer-houses to
go up in flames... there are already enough house fires here so not looking
forward to it

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Hmmm so far nvidia has no "passive heatsink graphics cards" on offer:

http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/GPUs

The closest thing to a passive heatsink gpu seems to be their embedded
motherboard things, best one at the moment is probably:

GeForce 9400 mGPU

So this is not a good sign, this means passive heatsink designs are done by
third parties and who knows... it might be unreliable and less well
tested... or perhaps better, time will tell.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
Hmmm so far nvidia has no "passive heatsink graphics cards" on offer:

http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/GPUs

The closest thing to a passive heatsink gpu seems to be their embedded
motherboard things, best one at the moment is probably:

GeForce 9400 mGPU

Hmm this is 2008 old technology and can't find one for sale... no idea what
the price is...

The way my luck is with the shocking and all, maybe not too smart to put all
eggs in one basket.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated, I want a cuda enabled something, but
I don't want the heat and I don't want the dust. If can find something that
does cuda with little heat and no dust then I might be willing to upgrade
and ditch old hardware, otherwise I will stick with old hot hardware buy a
new motherboard of only 65 euro's and then I am done... but then I can't
cuda except for 2.3 emulation which is still something

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Ok,

First candidate, available at webstore near me too !

1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...0_DC_SLDI1GD3/

Totally passively cooled, and fokking powerfulll too, but will it work ?!

I'll have to investigate later, first I see if I can find more powerfull
passively cooled cards !

This one only has 2 years of warranty a bit short.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 20th 11, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.arch,comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.programming.threads
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Ok,

First candidate, available at webstore near me too !

This one is elidly a GTX version, though the name has GT in it hmmm:

1. ASUS ENGT440 DC SL/DI/1GD3

http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NV...0_DC_SLDI1GD3/

128 bit bus.

Another candidate:

2. ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

Only 64 bit bus.

And another one: it's heatsick design looks a bit weird and possibly
problematic, only 50 watt it says but further inspection necessary.

3. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3

This is an old one and probably sold out, still interesting to see, but I
will probably skip this one:

4. ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

Hmm it seems XFX has no more nvidia cards... I wonder why... perhaps they
got in a fight or something or perhaps they were brided... well to bad for
them.

Well the adventage of buying a graphics card is that I could re-use it for a
new system.

This way I don't have to upgrade anything else...

Now I can just buy new motherboard and replace graphics card and then I
should be back up soon ! =D

Now I have to make a decision which one will I buy... they all pretty
cheap... below 100 bucks... nice ! =D This leaves room for me to buy two
motherboards in case one dies again ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.