Ubuntu 10.10 Nvidia video card only works in recovery mode.

Old March 25th 11, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
jbander

Default Ubuntu 10.10 Nvidia video card only works in recovery mode.

What is taken off the ability of my video card so that it works in
Recovery mode. What's missing
Old March 25th 11, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

jbander wrote:
What is taken off the ability of my video card so that it works in
Recovery mode. What's missing

What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log tell you ?

Are you using /etc/X11/xorg.conf for control, or relying
on Xorg to automatically configure the setup ?

Are you using nv, nouveau, or vesa ? I haven't a clue
as to what that means, but it is evidence you have been
fooling around with your graphics subsystem :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_driver

Paul
Old March 26th 11, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Le Forgeron[_2_]

Le 25/03/2011 08:12, Paul nous fit lire :
jbander wrote:
What is taken off the ability of my video card so that it works in
Recovery mode. What's missing

What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log tell you ?

Are you using /etc/X11/xorg.conf for control, or relying
on Xorg to automatically configure the setup ?

Are you using nv, nouveau, or vesa ? I haven't a clue
as to what that means, but it is evidence you have been
fooling around with your graphics subsystem :-)

Maybe not.
I have so far a "small issue": kernel (2.6.37-020637rc2... do not
bother, it's experimental so far) complains at startup about missing
v86d (it's a 64 bit system). But if I install it, the x system just does
not start (or whatever, screens remains blank).

Simply removing that package (v86d) solved that issue.
(I'm using nvidia 270.29, via nvidia-current package)