western digital 500G USB

Old April 1st 09, 03:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Hugh Sutherland

Default western digital 500G USB

I have a WD 500G HD and when connected to the IDE works great. I have
movies on it about 300G full. The problem is when I try to attach it to an
external USB case then plug that into the usb port the drive takes forever
to come up and be detected and when it does will not display my data. It
shows as a RAW drive with 0gigs used. Under disk management in
Administrative tools it shows as health but will not show as NTFS. Its
blank their. I don't want to format it again. Any ideas?

Old April 1st 09, 10:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Hugh Sutherland wrote:
I have a WD 500G HD and when connected to the IDE works great. I have
movies on it about 300G full. The problem is when I try to attach it to an
external USB case then plug that into the usb port the drive takes forever
to come up and be detected and when it does will not display my data. It
shows as a RAW drive with 0gigs used.

Whenever this happens, the first thing to try is change the drive
selection setting from CS (Cable Select) to Master. However many WD
drives have 2 master settings, one for when the drive is used alone,
another for when it's the master drive and a slave drive is present.
Old April 1st 09, 01:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Hugh Sutherland wrote:
I have a WD 500G HD and when connected to the IDE works great. I have
movies on it about 300G full. The problem is when I try to attach it to an
external USB case then plug that into the usb port the drive takes forever
to come up and be detected and when it does will not display my data. It
shows as a RAW drive with 0gigs used. Under disk management in
Administrative tools it shows as health but will not show as NTFS. Its
blank their. I don't want to format it again. Any ideas?

Try limiting interface speeds to 1.5Gbps. WD has know issues with
USB-SATA bridges at SATA2 speeds.

Arno

Old April 1st 09, 10:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Arno wrote:

Try limiting interface speeds to 1.5Gbps. WD has know issues with
USB-SATA bridges at SATA2 speeds.

Hi, Arno. I think he said it's IDE. If it was SATA, putting the jumper
on the drive to limit it to 1.5 could have fixed it.

Sometimes the first external HD enclosure you try is not compatible with
your motherboard chipset and you have to try another. I had one that was
a problem until I got some drivers from the motherboard's support guys.

Also I agree to check that the jumper on the drive is on Master.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old April 1st 09, 11:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Ed Light wrote:
Arno wrote:

Try limiting interface speeds to 1.5Gbps. WD has know issues with
USB-SATA bridges at SATA2 speeds.

Hi, Arno. I think he said it's IDE. If it was SATA, putting the jumper
on the drive to limit it to 1.5 could have fixed it.

You are right. My mistake. - Arno

Old April 2nd 09, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Hugh Sutherland

I tried changing the jumpers from CS to MSTR to SLAVE etc the only
difference is sometime in device manager it comes up as GERNERIC VOID USB
DEVICE and sometimes as GENERIC USB DISK USB DEVICE. Either way it shows up
as RAW with nothing on it (when it does show up in MY COMPUTER) and I know
their is data on it.

Why would the EXT closure not support NTFS since FAT32 only goes no highter
then 32GIG. TODAYS HD's are all NTFS so todays USB enclosures should
support NTFS.

Why would the external usb housing only support up to 320GIG and not higher?

Old April 2nd 09, 12:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Paff

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:44:09 -0400, "Hugh Sutherland"
wrote:

[...]

In the past, I've run into enclosures where the IDE - USB bridge
chip wouldn't support drives larger than 120 GB (or maybe it was
137GB). I suspect that was due to the 28-bit LBA addressing limit
that also affected older PC ATA interfaces.

Western Digital Ext HD 1 TB question Jeff Storage (alternative) 2 December 1st 07 06:15 PM
Western Digital didnt_say Storage (alternative) 2 July 6th 04 11:40 AM
western digital Nitro® Homebuilt PC's 4 May 25th 04 04:49 PM
Western Digital WD600BB G Storage (alternative) 4 December 5th 03 03:01 AM
Western Digital or Maxtor? mbarbet Homebuilt PC's 15 July 3rd 03 10:48 PM