"Bird Chirping" Noise Hard drive, seagate only?

Old May 8th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bob Brown INC.

Default "Bird Chirping" Noise Hard drive, seagate only?

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

Old May 8th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
[email protected]

On May 8, 2:45 pm, Bob Brown INC. wrote:
Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

most likely it's a head to head interface maybe one day it might
spontenaously crash

Old May 8th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Paul

Bob Brown INC. wrote:
Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

There have been drives, that have internal maintenance operations
at regular intervals. There was a SCSI drive, for example, that
made a loud noise like you describe, every 71 seconds. Since that
SCSI drive was intended for server environments, the designers
never considered someone would use it in a home computer.

This manual is for a Seagate 7200.10 SATA - see PDF page 15

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...100402371a.pdf

" **During periods of drive idle, some offline
activity may occur according to the S.M.A.R.T. specification,
which may increase acoustic and power to operational levels."

If you have that disk backed up some where, you could
try playing with the Hitachi Feature Tool. There is a
manual here as well.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor..._Guide_205.pdf

You could try disabling SMART, and see if the chirping stops.

Note that the support for some of those commands, is spotty.
Different manufacturers do different things, and so some of the
options offered in that program will not work in any observable
way. So be careful with that program, and do a bit of Googling
first on the various options, before "flipping every lever" in there :-)

Paul
Old May 9th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
kony

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:45:37 -0400, Bob Brown INC.
wrote:

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

I hope you have a full backup, all the desktop drives I've
heard make that sound failed within a few months (if not far
sooner).
Old May 9th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bob Brown INC.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 16:27:26 -0400, Paul Let
everyone including the NSAs Internet database storage program know as
they typed on their keyboard faster than a monkey on crack the
following:

Bob Brown INC. wrote:
[...]

thanks for the info, help..

Old May 9th 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
ed jurewicz[_2_]

Just had a seagate drive go south on me and the symptom wasn't quite a bird
chirping but an intermittant high pitched noise that got progressively worse
over ashort period of time time. I actually thought it was one of the fans
and spent a bit of time inside the computer removing and replacing them.
Finally traced it to the hard drive which was less than 6 months old when I
started having troubles on boot up. This was a 250 g drive.

Old May 9th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "ed jurewicz" ejurewicz@comcastnet
wrote:

Just had a seagate drive go south on me and the symptom wasn't quite a bird
chirping but an intermittant high pitched noise that got progressively worse
over ashort period of time time. I actually thought it was one of the fans
and spent a bit of time inside the computer removing and replacing them.
Finally traced it to the hard drive which was less than 6 months old when I
started having troubles on boot up. This was a 250 g drive.

Probably bearings going bad.
Sometimes you can get them to run temporarily, long enough to extract a
frisbee, by rocking them. That's rotating them (flat-wise, like you
would a frisbee) and then *yanking* them back in the opposite direction.
Also works for drives with stiction problems.

If however, you have either, then you really need to save your files
before the drive really does crap out completely.

Once you start hearing funny noises from a drive, it's time to backup in
a hurry!

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old May 10th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
FKS

I have 7 Seagate hdd's and 2 SATAII 320GB drives occasionally make bird
chirping sound. But, it's very faint.

I've had 2 hdd's gone bad in my 17 years of my PC use (a Fujitsu & a WD).
They never gave me a warning sign. They suddely died.

Old May 11th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
James White

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:45:37 -0400, Bob Brown INC. wrote:

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I like Seagate and all of my newer drives are from them. Mainly because
they work good and back in the old days (mid 90's) they were the only
manufacturer that would replace a bad drive no questions asked.

But, I have one new 200gb EIDE drive that chirps about once every 3 or 4
minutes. I haven't bothered to go through the replacement process
(yet) because it is used as a temporary cache that will lose nothing if it
fails, and I am curious if the chirp is an indication of a defect, or just
a component that is slightly off key (like aftermarket brake pads -
nothing wrong with the pads, they just squeak).

JW
Old May 11th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt James White
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:45:37 -0400, Bob Brown INC. wrote:

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I like Seagate and all of my newer drives are from them. Mainly because
they work good and back in the old days (mid 90's) they were the only
manufacturer that would replace a bad drive no questions asked.

But, I have one new 200gb EIDE drive that chirps about once every 3 or 4
minutes. I haven't bothered to go through the replacement process
(yet) because it is used as a temporary cache that will lose nothing if it
fails, and I am curious if the chirp is an indication of a defect, or just
a component that is slightly off key (like aftermarket brake pads -
nothing wrong with the pads, they just squeak).

If it's periodic and regular; I'd suspect some internal houskeeping on
the drive. You'd think they'd catch the extra noise during Product
Assurance though, if that's the case.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢