"What is HAMR and How Does It Enable the High-Capacity Needs of theFuture?"

Old December 14th 17, 07:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "What is HAMR and How Does It Enable the High-Capacity Needs of theFuture?"

"What is HAMR and How Does It Enable the High-Capacity Needs of the Future?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hamr-hard-drives/

"During Q4, Backblaze deployed 100 petabytes worth of Seagate hard
drives to our data centers. The newly deployed Seagate 10 and 12 TB
drives are doing well and will help us meet our near term storage needs,
but we know we’re going to need more drives — with higher capacities.
That’s why the success of new hard drive technologies like Heat-Assisted
Magnetic Recording (HAMR) from Seagate are very relevant to us here at
Backblaze and to the storage industry in general. In today’s guest post
we are pleased to have Mark Re, CTO at Seagate, give us an insider’s
look behind the hard drive curtain to tell us how Seagate engineers are
developing the HAMR technology and making it market ready starting in
late 2018."

Wow, 20 TB in a single hard drive.

Lynn
Old December 15th 17, 08:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:52:55 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

[...]

I love the advances in capacity, long after some folks speculated that
they had gone as far as they can go. I just wonder what number will be
in the 'wow' statement 5, 10, 20 years from now. At some point, the unit
of measure might not even be TB.

Old December 15th 17, 10:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I thought that the absolute limit of rotating hard drives was going to
be 6 TB, then they introduced helium. Now it seems that 20 TB drives
will be released in 2018 or so. Of course, Seagate has reputedly
released a 60 TB SSD drive for $10,000.
http://blog.exxactcorp.com/seagates-...exxact-review/

However, I keep on waiting for holographic memory blocks of incredible size.

Lynn
Old December 16th 17, 12:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

wrote:

[...]

I think the $10,000 was for the Samsung 10TB unit.

"Of course, there is a downside to this behemoth of a SSD. The obvious
one is the cost to purchase just one 60TB SSD. Samsung’s 16TB SSD on
release was around $10,000 for one unit. The 60TB from Seagate has an
estimated cost of around $40,000 for just one unit."

Both are currently out of my price range.

Old December 16th 17, 06:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/15/2017 06:20 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

[...]

Oh, come on! Boost the economy, you economic traitor to whichever
country of which you are a citizen.

Perce

Old December 17th 17, 12:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:53:10 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

I'll reevaluate my position when they go on sale. ;-)

Old December 18th 17, 05:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I have a friend building 300+ TB SSD drives in a 1U factor for a certain
manufacturer (think HAL). He, and his team, write the drive device
driver. I have no idea what they charge for each drive but I suspect
the cost is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And they are
back-ordered for many months. Maybe years.

Lynn