WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

Old January 4th 17, 04:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
James Wilkinson Sword

Default WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 02:13:47 -0000, Ed Light wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Were those externals?

Internals, mounted in a large case with plenty room. Six in a RAID array, I can't remember but I guess I can't have had a drive's width gap between each as tower cases aren't that tall. I guess I should have had fans blowing directly over them.

The solution is to buy a directional desk fan like a Vornado and aim it
at the drive.

I took a WD green out of its usb 2 external enclosure and put in in a
usb 3 that had no vents. It would heat up, unless I used the fan, then
it was good for whatever time period.

--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....
Old January 4th 17, 04:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 04:09:25 -0000, Neill Massello wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Blacks run hot. They need a lot of cooling. Even some enclosures with
fans aren't good enough.

They should have said that when I bought them, there was no warning about extra cooling. It cost WD about 6 drives. All they had to do was put a sticker on them saying "please ensure sufficient ventilation, as we've designed this really crap".

--
Wedding rings: the world's smallest handcuffs.
Old January 4th 17, 09:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 8:15 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 1/3/2017 12:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I have to send it back to WD.

They will send a refurbished!

I got one from them. It has been up to 55C .. ugh. OK otherwise.

But did they reset the SMART data when they "refurbished" it ?

Lynn
Old January 4th 17, 09:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 10:09 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I thought I had read that WD's "Green" drives were being discontinued.

They have been. Blue is the new Green. The only remaining 7200rpm Blue
is the 1TB model; all the others are 5400rpm.

Big River does not have an WD 8 TB blue for sale by itself. There is a WD 8 TB red for sale for $303.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-...dp/B01BYLY4DM/

One wonders if one should buy the WD 8 TB external for $220 and pull the hard drive out for my 8 TB internal back up drive needs:
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

Thanks,
Lynn
Old January 5th 17, 03:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

No, the smart showed 55C as the maximum temperature during its lifetime.

It was real clean and has gone for the equivalent of 2 years 24/7.

On 1/4/2017 12:55 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 1/3/2017 8:15 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 1/3/2017 12:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I have to send it back to WD.

They will send a refurbished!

I got one from them. It has been up to 55C .. ugh. OK otherwise.

But did they reset the SMART data when they "refurbished" it ?

Lynn

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old January 6th 17, 08:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Rereading, I see I wasn't clear!

On the refurbished drive WD sent me, the SMART data for maximum
temperature over lifetime was 55C.

Looking at my other drive of that same model, it's never been over 43C.

I have HD Sentinel to warn me if they get into the mid-40's.

So, all the SMART data couldn't have been cleared. I can't remember for
sure, but maybe the total hours running was reset.

It makes me wonder what goes into "refurbished." Is it rebuilt from a
warrantee return? Is it just tested ok?

Anyhow... it has done ok for a couple of years at least, running about
10 hours a day.

Old January 10th 17, 01:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 2:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

Just got my new WD 8 TB external USB3 drive. It was formatted EXFAT. It is now formatted NTFS. I am now running a full LAN backup
to it.

Old January 20th 17, 03:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 2:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

I got my replacement for the DOA 6 TB WD external USB drive yesterday from WD customer support. It says "Recertified in Vietnam",
whatever that means. I am performing a 3.0 TB LAN backup to it now.

Lynn
Old January 20th 17, 10:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 1/3/2017 2:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

I got my replacement for the DOA 6 TB WD external USB drive yesterday from WD customer support. It says "Recertified in Vietnam",
whatever that means. I am performing a 3.0 TB LAN backup to it now.

Sounds like re(furbished/pair)ed?
--
Quote of the Week: "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
| |o o| |
Old January 20th 17, 05:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 01/20/2017 04:18 AM, Ant wrote:

I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

I got my replacement for the DOA 6 TB WD external USB drive yesterday from WD customer support. It says "Recertified in Vietnam",
whatever that means. I am performing a 3.0 TB LAN backup to it now.

Sounds like re(furbished/pair)ed?

IOW, it has undergone more thorough testing than the original one (and
most others).

Perce