is my C drive dying?

Old September 12th 16, 01:49 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake[_3_]

Default is my C drive dying?

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 00:09:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:50:04 -0400, Wolf K

On 2016-09-10 19:25, Ken Blake wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 23:12:45 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

My main computer (this one) doesn't have an optical drive either.

Is it a laptop? If not, why doesn't it have one?

It's a small laptop; when I bought it, they were described as
"netbooks", though that word has become unfashionable -

Then I understand. I have a similar machine, which also doesn't have
an optical drive. But it's not my main computer. I bought it for use
when traveling, but I no longer use it all; I now use my smart phone
instead.
Old September 12th 16, 07:41 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Wolf K
On 2016-09-11 19:09, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Ken Blake
writes:

[]
Maybe. But it wouldn't be my choice.

No, not mine either. Nor that I don't think they're capable of being
adequately-spec'd computers; just that the need to add keyboard, mouse,
and in particular monitor rather defeats the attraction, and you might
as well go for a laptop (or netbook), and thus at least have
portability.

If you have a monitor, working keyboard and mouse, then a micro-cube
may be a good replacement for an aging tower. At least one review of

Good point - yes, if you're in that situation, it may well be
appropriate, especially if you play with (the innards of) computers less
than you used to. (Which the universality of USB has also contributed
towards.)

the micro-cube thought it was well-specced machine. AFAICT, it's the
works of a laptop inside a small box. Most current laptops equal or
exceed the specs of most desktops of just three or four years ago.

Indeed. I continue to be surprised that towers still hold the market
proportion they do; I guess the price differential still holds.

OTOH, MS's Surface Book is saliva-inducing. I just don't need another
machine right now, and probably never will.

I haven't _needed_ another machine for many years - or even wanted; this
one does more of what I want than I actually have time to do (and it's
XP!). Only reason for moving on is it's getting a bit unreliable (oddly,
the wifi, and I'm still not convinced that isn't a software problem, as
a reboot _always_ restores it).

Oh well, that's life.

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]
Old September 12th 16, 05:53 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
pjp[_5_]

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 00:09:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"

wrote:

My main computer (this one) doesn't have an optical drive either.

Is it a laptop? If not, why doesn't it have one?

It's a small laptop; when I bought it, they were described as
"netbooks", though that word has become unfashionable -

Then I understand. I have a similar machine, which also doesn't have
an optical drive. But it's not my main computer. I bought it for use
when traveling, but I no longer use it all; I now use my smart phone
instead.

I have one of those also, a HP Mini 110. I allowed it to upgrade to
Win10. Picked it out of a recycle bin when throwing stuff away. As soon
as I provided 19V power supply it started right up and booted right into
assumed previous owners account with everything still intact! Factory
Restore fixed that and then seeing as was easiest time to try it figured
I'd let it try Win10. Thing could use more ram and a ssd drive but given
where it came from doubt it'll every see either. Works fine but slow ...
Old September 13th 16, 09:46 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 19:02:30 +0200, "Linea Recta"
wrote:

My PC had always been very sluggish compared to my old laptop.
When reading a PC magazine I read an article about Crystal diskinfo.
Decided to download the portable version ans ran it on the laptop: diagnose
OK.

Decided to run it also on the PC: WARNING for the C drive! (see below)
Is my C drive dying?

HDSentinel has a giveaway of the latest version at

http://www.comss.info/page.php?al=Ha...tinel_Standard

Stick it in Google translate if you can't understand what it
says.

It will warn you, usually ages before the actual disaster.
(though I have had drives that just go "clunk".)
I'd buy a bigger HD, clone your present one to that, then
install HDSentinel. Maybe create/ resize your partitions, it's hard to
find anything smaller than 500GB cheap.
If their's any cash left, get an external USB HD to backup
your data to.
And avoid any blurb about the "Cloud".
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old September 16th 16, 11:49 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 9/9/2016 1:02 PM, Linea Recta wrote:
My PC had always been very sluggish compared to my old laptop.
When reading a PC magazine I read an article about Crystal diskinfo.
Decided to download the portable version ans ran it on the laptop:
diagnose OK.

Decided to run it also on the PC: WARNING for the C drive! (see below)
Is my C drive dying?
Apart from fitting a new drive this is going to be A LOT of work,
installing and updating Windows 7 and A LOT of applications!
I suppose I can't restore a Macrium image on the replacement drive?

I see that your C: drive has a lot of reallocated sectors, while your D:
drive has a lot of raw read errors. This could indicate a power supply
problem -- not enough power getting to the whole system at the same
time. Both drive problems might have been caused by this power supply
problem. I'm not saying that changing your PSU will magically fix these
drives, the damage is already done to them, and that's irreversible.

Since your C: drive is 160GB and the D: drive is 80GB, you can replace
both with a single 240GB+ SSD, and it'll feel like you just strapped
rocket packs to your system. Change the PSU at the same time, to a 500W
at a minimum. You can probably get the two of these together for just a
little over $100! Check out this sample below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jVMbjc

Yousuf Khan

---

Old September 17th 16, 08:36 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)

[]
On 9/9/2016 1:02 PM, Linea Recta wrote:
My PC had always been very sluggish compared to my old laptop.
When reading a PC magazine I read an article about Crystal diskinfo.
Decided to download the portable version ans ran it on the laptop:
diagnose OK.

Decided to run it also on the PC: WARNING for the C drive! (see below)
Is my C drive dying?
Apart from fitting a new drive this is going to be A LOT of work,
installing and updating Windows 7 and A LOT of applications!
I suppose I can't restore a Macrium image on the replacement drive?

[]
Provided the dying drive is still working well enough for you to _make_
a Macrium image, then yes, you can restore from one to a new drive (even
one of a different size). FAR quicker (and less stressful!) than trying
to reinstall the OS, all patches, all software, and reset all of those
to how you like them.

Make sure your image includes any hidden partitions (and restore those).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6

Symptoms of dying CD drive? Haines Brown[_2_] General Hardware 0 April 26th 16 12:50 PM
Is this drive dying? Bilky White[_5_] Storage (alternative) 0 December 16th 09 12:23 PM
Any way to copy data off this dying drive? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 6 July 11th 05 06:28 AM
Hard drive dying DJS0302 General 3 July 9th 04 01:01 AM
Is drive corrupted / dying? Nick General 2 September 16th 03 04:32 PM