the tedious pace of tape drives

Old July 10th 16, 05:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default the tedious pace of tape drives

Interesting whinge he
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/capac...eed-guy-holmes
I recall things like DLT falling by the wayside because it took so
long to write a whole tape, but we still have not progressed much
in speed.... yawn
Old July 11th 16, 08:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 7/9/2016 11:24 PM, wrote:
Interesting whinge he
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/capac...eed-guy-holmes
I recall things like DLT falling by the wayside because it took so
long to write a whole tape, but we still have not progressed much
in speed.... yawn

This is why I use a single external USB3 hard drive for our LAN backups and have so for the last ten ??? years. Our LAN backup is
approaching 3 TB.

Lynn
Old July 12th 16, 05:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 7/11/2016 12:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

This is why I use a single external USB3 hard drive for our LAN backups
and have so for the last ten ??? years.

I hope you mirror it to another that's off-site.

Had a HD develop a bad sector, losing a file, and then it got more.

So, mirroring with byte-for-byte compare afterwards, if possible.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 12th 16, 06:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 7/11/2016 11:18 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 7/11/2016 12:51 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

This is why I use a single external USB3 hard drive for our LAN backups
and have so for the last ten ??? years.

I hope you mirror it to another that's off-site.

Had a HD develop a bad sector, losing a file, and then it got more.

So, mirroring with byte-for-byte compare afterwards, if possible.

I actually have three PCs with internal 4 TB drives (D that we backup the LAN to each day. So, we have three spinning copies on
the LAN with everything on them.

Then I have seven external USB3 hard drives, some are 4 TB and some are 6 TB. I backup to one of these on every Friday. So, one of
these gets updated once every seven weeks. And they live offsite.

Not a perfect system by any means but it works well.

Lynn