How to copy medical CD to harddrive

Old January 13th 15, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul

Default How to copy medical CD to harddrive

micky wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:29:43 -0500, Paul wrote:

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul

I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?

I'm not finding a reference to .ipd in here.

http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image...tml/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicom

A guess is, the formats on the CD are "derived" and intended
to work with the included viewer. But that's purely a guess,
because no material I've seen so far talks about file extensions
or file formats.

The medical community is good at explaining things in
excruciating detail, about things no one cares about.
But few seem to be able to view their world from the
outside, and work with new entrants.

Paul
Old January 13th 15, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 05:28:55 -0500, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:29:43 -0500, Paul wrote:

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul

I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?

I'm not finding a reference to .ipd in here.

http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image...tml/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicom

I always use filext.com. They mention they kinds of .ipd files:

ImpactCAD Drawing (Arden Software)
InstallPROG 6 EDBS Install Database
BlackBerry Backup File (Research In Motion Limited)

Old January 13th 15, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

micky wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:29:43 -0500, Paul wrote:

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul

I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?

I'm not finding a reference to .ipd in here.

http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image...tml/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicom

I always use filext.com. They mention they kinds of .ipd files:

Ugh! What an ugly typo! That should be "*three* kinds of .ipd files,"
of course.

Old January 13th 15, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gloops[_2_]

Paul wrote on 12th Jan. 2015 04:39 UTC + 2 :
The only question in my mind would be, what tool made
CDROM-XA in the first place ? Maybe the hospital diagnostic
instrument was programmed by space aliens ? Space aliens like
to make trivial changes to formats, to confuse the humans.

Hello,

A long time ago, I read a book, I do not remember whether it was about
MS-DOS or about assembly programming (I think it was MS-DOS), that
presented the basics about a different formatting for a floppy disk,
introduced as a way of some sort of cryptography, so that the floppy can
only be read with the intended software. Easy to imagine a transposition
to a CD, and then a DVD.

You know, space aliens are not the only ones willing to protect their
data. About applying this to the medical context, I guess Micky has an
idea about whom to speak about it with.

Old January 13th 15, 11:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul

micky wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:29:43 -0500, Paul wrote:

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul
I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?
I'm not finding a reference to .ipd in here.

http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image...tml/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicom

I always use filext.com. They mention they kinds of .ipd files:

Ugh! What an ugly typo! That should be "*three* kinds of .ipd files,"
of course.

They are not a match in this case.

I don't know if the OPs file is exactly this format or not,
but you have a look at it with your hex editor, and see if
it matches your filext suggestions. The mypacs site has
sample medical imaging stuff. This series (61840350) had
something to do with someone's knee.

http://www.mypacs.net/repos/mpv3_rep...r/61840350.ipd

Paul
Old January 13th 15, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

micky wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll believe you. I was just pointing out what the extension often
referred to.

Old January 13th 15, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , Gloops
said:

Paul wrote on 12th Jan. 2015 04:39 UTC + 2 :
The only question in my mind would be, what tool made
CDROM-XA in the first place ? Maybe the hospital diagnostic
instrument was programmed by space aliens ? Space aliens like
to make trivial changes to formats, to confuse the humans.

Hello,

A long time ago, I read a book, I do not remember whether it was about
MS-DOS or about assembly programming (I think it was MS-DOS), that
presented the basics about a different formatting for a floppy disk,
introduced as a way of some sort of cryptography, so that the floppy can
only be read with the intended software. Easy to imagine a transposition
to a CD, and then a DVD.

There are a variety of techniques, but most were security by obscurity
at best, as any number of tools would see through them. Usually the idea
was a bad/fake allocation table, or changing the disk's apparent size,
or similar.

These techniques often relied upon the media being read/write, and could
not be easily translated into write-once media such as CD/DVD.

Regardless, these are simply not encryption techniques. If you want
encrypted storage, use encrypted storage, there are a variety of
options.

--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken

[email protected] bcapsp General 0 May 18th 07 01:09 PM
Usb Enclosure unable to copy onto harddrive [email protected] Storage (alternative) 1 April 9th 06 07:08 AM
Usb Enclosure unable to copy onto harddrive [email protected] General 0 April 9th 06 05:36 AM
FS: PDA / PC Medical, Surgical...over 200 textbooks for your pda and pc ( All latest and very cheap). Ben UK Computer Vendors 4 October 16th 04 04:07 PM
Slow harddrive copy Jason General 5 September 23rd 03 12:25 PM