Tools needed to build my own PC

Old August 27th 10, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Tools needed to build my own PC

OK, I'm back. Things are going slowly because of the pain in my head -
but they're moving forward.

What tools do I need to put together a PC (all suggestions welcome). Is
there a small, powered screwdriver, variable speed, for this sort of
thing? (I know I don't need a powered screwdriver for one computer - but
I like powered TOOLS!!! Hand tools? Workplace? Cleaners?

Is there a URL that is much better than the rest - that shows and
explains all the steps?

Thanks guys..............

Bob
Old August 27th 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

wrote in message

What tools do I need to put together a PC (all suggestions welcome). Is
there a small, powered screwdriver, variable speed, for this sort of
thing? (I know I don't need a powered screwdriver for one computer - but
I like powered TOOLS!!! Hand tools? Workplace? Cleaners?

For the few turns required by any screw in a PC,
a powered screwdriver is more trouble than it is
worth. Not least, it prevents your judging how
snug any screw needs to be.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 27th 10, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peter

here is a website with some pics....a little dated but the basics are there
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_...op_PC/Assembly

this one is a little more detailed with some advice at the beginning

usually the only tools needed are a Phillips Screwdriver
A magnetic head helps to hold the tiny little screws that are needed in some
places.
A very small pair of pliers are sometimes needed for the Motherboard
Standoff especially
if you've put one in the wrong spot.
I also suggest a small flashlight and a Magnifying Glass unless you are a
hell of a lot
younger than you seem....I use both when I build cuz I'm not getting any
younger and the
old eyes ain't what they used to be. That printing on the mobo for the case
connectors is REALLY
small......
Twist ties help to control the jungle of wires that results .Careful routing
of the
cables keeps the airflow moving nicely for a cooler atmosphere inside the
case.
I found Clear Hockey Tape to be helpful as well to stick wires to the case
where there is no holes for twist ties.
I work on a Wood Desk about the size of a Kitchen Table with good overhead
lighting as well
as a small desk lamp that I can move to where I need more light. There are
no rugs in that
area for static electricity to build up but I still touch the metal case a
lot.
hope this helps
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old August 28th 10, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bbgruff

wrote:

OK, I'm back. Things are going slowly because of the pain in my head -
but they're moving forward.

What tools do I need to put together a PC (all suggestions welcome). Is
there a small, powered screwdriver, variable speed, for this sort of
thing? (I know I don't need a powered screwdriver for one computer - but
I like powered TOOLS!!! Hand tools? Workplace? Cleaners?

Is there a URL that is much better than the rest - that shows and
explains all the steps?

Thanks guys..............

Bob

Two "tools" that you really ought to have..... an anti-static wrist-strap,
and (ideally) an anti-static mat to do all your work. If you haven't come
across these before, the wrist strap connects *you* to ground/earth, and the
mat provides a grounded/earthed area to work on and put down your
components.
If you (and all components) are at the same potential, there is no danger of
damage from static. Static is your #1 enemy.

Things to be *avoided* while working:-
Synthetic carpets
Plastic work surfaces
Low humidity (only work on rainy days! :-) )
Office swivel chairs with casters.

Golden rules...
handle components (RAM etc) as little as possible
only touch the edges, and not the contacts of RAM or cards
ground/earth yourself (wrist strap), but wash hands frequently,
and touch the *metal* of the taps with wet hands.
wear cotton clothes - no nylon!

Apart from that,
a screwdriver
needle-nosed pliers
side-cutters
nut-drivers
some cable ties (various sizes)
small torch, and a lens/magnifying glass.

Old August 28th 10, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:25:44 -0700, Mike Easter

a small, powered screwdriver,

It is useful IMO to have a ratcheted screwdriver sometimes, but not powered.

A 'little' ratcheted would be nice, but I don't have one of those, just

Does a "little" ratcheded exist? Perhaps in a model maker's tool manual?
I'm going to check it out.

small tips for a normal.

Magnetic tips for the ratcheted are also useful. Sometimes a primitive
'screwholder' comes in handy if you don't have a magnetic 'attraction'.

Old August 28th 10, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:25:44 -0700, Mike Easter

a small, powered screwdriver,

It is useful IMO to have a ratcheted screwdriver sometimes, but not powered.

A 'little' ratcheted would be nice, but I don't have one of those, just
small tips for a normal.

Magnetic tips for the ratcheted are also useful. Sometimes a primitive
'screwholder' comes in handy if you don't have a magnetic 'attraction'.

Isn't a magnetic tool possibly dangerous if it touches the wrong
component? Zaaaap!!!!!!!