hard drive dead?

Old March 8th 10, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

Default hard drive dead?

Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc. It is
a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it goes to the
4 options screen (safemode, safemode with networking, last known good
conf. that worked and start windows normally) The 30 sec. countdown
starts,when you make a selection the countdown stops and nothing
happens. If you choose safemode it begins the process and stops before
the first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying? Thanks
for your time and efforts. -J
Old March 8th 10, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

jinxy wrote:
Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc. It is
a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it goes to the
4 options screen (safemode, safemode with networking, last known good
conf. that worked and start windows normally) The 30 sec. countdown
starts,when you make a selection the countdown stops and nothing
happens. If you choose safemode it begins the process and stops before
the first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying? Thanks
for your time and efforts. -J

The drive is at least able to show you the first screen, and so
is at least working a little bit.
Try a win repair install, or a factory re-install, depending on
whats on the system disk, or CD's.
Old March 8th 10, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 3/8/2010 5:35 PM, jinxy wrote:
Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc. It is
a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it goes to the
4 options screen (safemode, safemode with networking, last known good
conf. that worked and start windows normally) The 30 sec. countdown
starts,when you make a selection the countdown stops and nothing
happens. If you choose safemode it begins the process and stops before
the first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying? Thanks
for your time and efforts. -J

A system that gets past the POST and begins to load the OS before it
freezes usually has a hardware defect or driver problem.
The way you diagnose this is to disconnect or disable all but the
essential parts (Motherboard, Memory, CPU, Video Card, Hard Drive and
Power Supply) and see if it boots. If it does, then you can add back one
item at a time until you find the one that hoses the system.
If it does not boot with just the essentials you will need to do more
advanced diagnoses. Post back if that is the case.
The drive could be going bad also, but you need to eliminate other
possibilities first before you go there.
Old March 9th 10, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

On Mar 8, 6:16*pm, TVeblen wrote:
On 3/8/2010 5:35 PM, jinxy wrote:

[...]

Tried that, all works fine untill you get to the hdd. Have also
changed the sata cable on the drive, still no joy. Man this is a
really compacted tower, everything is tight in there, not much room to
work. I will ask him if they have recovery disks that came with the
pc.
I will do a non-destructive recovery if he has the disks. While I am
waiting I will take the drive out and slave it to another pc.
-J
Old March 9th 10, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

jinxy wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, TVeblen wrote:
On 3/8/2010 5:35 PM, jinxy wrote:

[...]

I'd boot a Linux Live CD, and try to copy the old disk to a new disk.
The "dd" command can do this in one shot. All it requires, is the
new disk be slightly bigger than the old disk. Since the "dd" command
does a sector by sector copy, it places the least stress on a failing
disk.

The Linux Live CD, doesn't install any software. It only requires
the CD/DVD drive be in working order. I can use such a CD as a test
of the computer hardware. If the CD won't boot to completion, I could
then start disconnecting other hardware bits and pieces, and look for
a change in symptoms.

Examples of Linux Live CDs, are Knoppix (knopper.net) and Ubuntu (ubuntu.com).

If the disk is damaged (has bad sectors), there is a procedure for
that. The "ddrescue" at the bottom of this page, has the ability to
skip over sectors that cannot be read, and preserves the maximum amount
of information from the original disk. (The regular "dd" would run slowly,
or fail completely, on a disk with errors on it.) Once you've made
your best copy of the drive, you can then attempt data recovery,
run chkdsk or whatever, on the *copy* you've made.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

The only thing that techniques like that can't help with, is environments
that use an HPA. I think perhaps Dell Mediadirect might be an example. There
is some box, that hides one of their pieces of software, in a normally
inaccessible place. If working on a hard disk set up that way, you need
to find a web site specific to the situation. This site, for example, has
info useful to people working on certain Dell boxes.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm

The hard drive manufacturer may provide a utility for testing the disk.
On Seagate, I use Seatools for DOS, downloaded from their web site. That
gives me a bootable floppy diskette, which can test Seagate drives. Some
disk manufacturers, provide no help whatsoever. It comes as a shock, when
you visit such a manufacturer web site, and there is nothing you can use
for testing.

So if I was visiting a friend's house, I'd probably bring along three
of my spare hard drives with me. Just in case. And my stack of Linux
CDs. And Windows installer CD, so I'd have a Recovery Console to work
with.

While I've never bothered to download this, this recovery disc can be
used to work on Win7 systems, but can apparently also be used to work
on things like WinXP.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/

So there are plenty of things you can boot with, to do work
on a computer.

Paul
Old March 9th 10, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

On 9/03/2010 6:35 AM, jinxy wrote:
Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc. It is
a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it goes to the
4 options screen (safemode, safemode with networking, last known good
conf. that worked and start windows normally) The 30 sec. countdown
starts,when you make a selection the countdown stops and nothing
happens. If you choose safemode it begins the process and stops before
the first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying? Thanks
for your time and efforts. -J

1. Identify the drive manufacturer
2. make a drive diagnostic cdrom from the manufacturer's site
3. test the drive

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old March 9th 10, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"jinxy" wrote in message

A system that gets past the POST and begins to load the OS before it
freezes usually has a hardware defect or driver problem.

Tried that, all works fine untill you get to the hdd. . . .
I will do a non-destructive recovery if he has the disks.

Necessary tests seem to be:
1. Booting DOS from a flloppy
2. RAMTEST86 which can be done from a floppy.
3. Manufacturer's test for hard drive health.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old March 9th 10, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

jinxy wrote:

Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc. It is
a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it goes to the
4 options screen (safemode, safemode with networking, last known good
conf. that worked and start windows normally) The 30 sec. countdown
starts,when you make a selection the countdown stops and nothing
happens. If you choose safemode it begins the process and stops before
the first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying?

If the hard drive wasn't working, the computer wouldn't get that far
because all that information is stored on the hard drive. A self-
booting drive diagnostic, like Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT) or
MHDD (HDDguru.com has it), can check the drive, but most likely it's
fine, and the real problem is a corrupt Windows file. Try a Repair
Install from the Windows CD, but when it asks if you want to do a
Repair Install, say no, and then when it asks again, in a different
menu, say yes.
Old March 9th 10, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

jinxy wrote:

Hello, I am trying to help someone at work to fix his son's pc.
It is a HP Media Center m7360n. When he tries to start it up it
goes to the 4 options screen (safemode, safemode with
networking, last known good conf. that worked and start windows
normally) The 30 sec. countdown starts,when you make a
selection the countdown stops and nothing happens. If you
choose safemode it begins the process and stops before the
first screen of drivers loads. It sounds as if the drive is not
running, Is this an indication that the drive is dead or dying?

The critical question is this... Are there any important files on
the hard drive that have not been copied to removable media? If
so, see Paul's advice about making a copy of the drive. Never ever
use a computer unless you first copy important files to removable
media. Of course that is a judgment call, only you can decide
that for yourself.

If the hard drive wasn't working, the computer wouldn't get that
far because all that information is stored on the hard drive.

A hard drive can produce signs of failing before it completely
stops working, like if the problem is on another part of the
drive.
Old March 10th 10, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

On Mar 9, 2:31*pm, John Doe wrote:
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

jinxy wrote:
[...]

This is not my pc.

I managed to get a hold of a Windows XP Media Center 2005 for HP and
Compaq's. When I ran the disk and got to the partitions page, was told
that" there is no disk in this drive".
I click install and next appears a blue screen saying, problem is
likely caused by setupdd.sys.
Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE57A3868,0x00000000,0xF74139A8,0x00000002)
setupdd.sys- address F74139A8 base at F73EC000
date stamp 41107C87
I don't know enough to understand the meaning of this message, but I
am looking on the net for answers. If you can elaborate, please do.
-J

Dead Hard Drive? wtw Storage (alternative) 11 October 1st 08 11:32 PM
Dead Hard Drive MP General 3 May 23rd 08 03:07 PM
dead hard drive [email protected] General 5 October 10th 05 11:54 PM
Hard Drive noise dead drive Maxtor RMA story Roscoe Pendoscoe General 0 April 27th 04 12:16 PM
"Dead" hard drive. PVR Storage (alternative) 1 July 23rd 03 03:10 AM