Need some Laptop Hard drive help

Old February 27th 09, 07:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Larry[_6_]

Default Need some Laptop Hard drive help

I am replaceing my nieces Hitachi Travlstar 100gb Ata/ide 54oo rpm. What
would be a good replacement drive ?. System is a Gatweway MX6440. I am not
sure about the ATA/IDE part , since i use a desktop with EIDE HD's.
Thanks Larry
Old February 27th 09, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Larry wrote:
I am replaceing my nieces Hitachi Travlstar 100gb Ata/ide 54oo rpm. What
would be a good replacement drive ?. System is a Gatweway MX6440. I am not
sure about the ATA/IDE part , since i use a desktop with EIDE HD's.
Thanks Larry

Best thing to do is to remove the drive and examine its connector(s) to
the system. Some ATA/IDE drives have a little interposer which covers
the 44-pin 2.5" IDE connector, arranged in two rows of 22 pins.

A laptop SATA drive has two connectors that are exactly like the ones on
a desktop drive. You might find photos on the web to help you figure
out which type of drive to get.

Right now, Seagate, Fujitsu and Western Digital are my favorite brands
of laptop drives. Once you get the type of connector right, the brand
otherwise does not matter, as both SATA and ATA/IDE drives are
standardized across the industry... Ben Myers
Old February 28th 09, 12:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Larry[_6_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
I am replaceing my nieces Hitachi Travlstar 100gb Ata/ide 54oo rpm.
What would be a good replacement drive ?. System is a Gatweway
MX6440. I am not sure about the ATA/IDE part , since i use a desktop
with EIDE HD's. Thanks Larry

Best thing to do is to remove the drive and examine its connector(s)
to the system. Some ATA/IDE drives have a little interposer which
covers the 44-pin 2.5" IDE connector, arranged in two rows of 22 pins.

A laptop SATA drive has two connectors that are exactly like the ones
on a desktop drive. You might find photos on the web to help you
figure out which type of drive to get.

Right now, Seagate, Fujitsu and Western Digital are my favorite brands
of laptop drives. Once you get the type of connector right, the brand
otherwise does not matter, as both SATA and ATA/IDE drives are
standardized across the industry... Ben Myers

It's a ATA/IDE. I am not certain is ATA/IDE the same as EIDE?
Thanks Larry
Old February 28th 09, 03:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Larry wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
[...]

ATA/IDE = EIDE = PATA

.... Ben Myers
Old February 28th 09, 05:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Larry[_6_]

Ben Myers wrote in news:goa9pq$m3q$1
@news.motzarella.org:

Larry wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
[...]

Thanks ! . Have to keep up with the changing jargon.
Larry

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits onhard drive caddy) neilsanner Storage (alternative) 4 November 26th 08 11:43 PM
Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits onhard drive caddy) neilsanner Storage (alternative) 0 November 23rd 08 08:21 PM
New Hard Drive For Laptop ROBERT RICHOLD General 2 April 14th 07 01:33 PM
Laptop hard drive Kevin Dell Computers 6 July 23rd 04 02:34 AM
Best way to backup laptop hard drive? (drive imaging utilities) Joe Blo Storage (alternative) 9 December 2nd 03 10:22 AM