The max disk size for Gigabyte GA-8IRXP (Promise 20276 RAID chip)

Old March 24th 08, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
7palmtree

Default The max disk size for Gigabyte GA-8IRXP (Promise 20276 RAID chip)

What is the max disk size that Gigabyte GA-8IRXP with Promise 20276
RAID chip can support?

I have a server PC built on Gigabyte GA-8IRXP motherboard that I have
been running for solid 5 years. I am thinking about replacing the
current five 120GB WD IDE disks with five IDE 320/500GB ones. I will
use the new disks as raid 5 on the motherboard's on-board Promise raid
controller.

Some of Gigabyte GA-8IRXP features:
1. Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium®4 processor
2. Intel 845/ICH2 chipset
3. Promise 20276 RAID chip
Source: Gigabyte GA-8IRXP support page
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=1298

I am concerned that motherboard might be unable to support disks as
large as 320/500GB. I checked out Gigabyte's GA-8IRXP but found
nothing relevant to disk drive size limitation. Can the GA-8IRXP
motherboard support 500GB disks natively? If not, is there workaround
for it?

The server is running Windows XP SP2. OS wise I am sure there is
always patch to bypass any disk size limitation...

Thanks for advising!