Allowable FSB Speeds for Dimension 8300

Old March 13th 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Allowable FSB Speeds for Dimension 8300

I have a crazy idea. I'd like to see if the Prescott 3.4GHz (800MHz
FSB) CPU is really to blame for the lousy performance of my Dimension
8300. I don't (yet) want to spring for a Northwood P4, so I thought
I'd try some CPUs that I have on hand.

However, the only other CPUs I have are Socket 478 Celeron processors
with 400MHz FSB ratings. Will the Dim8300 motherboard accept such a
CPU and adjust the speeds accordingly?

(Yes, I know the Celeron is not a high performance CPU. However, I
would like to see what happens.)

William
Old March 13th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Doing some looking around seems to reveal that only 533 and 800MHz
FSBs are officially supported on the 8300.

I don't know if I've got a 533MHz-capable P4/S478 CPU kicking around.
Lots of 400MHz Celeron and P4 chips though.

I'm just about to give up on this Dim8300. It's never been what it
should be, and I really don't feel like spending any more time or
money on it. (Not that I've spent much money, but I have spent a lot
of time.)

(For the record, it's unfortunate. Dell doesn't have a machine in
their current lineup that is what I'm looking for. I also don't feel
like building one myself right now. And I'm just plain worn down and
tired of fighting with my 8300. It is really taking all I've got to
not strip it for the good stuff, build up another system and leave the
mostly emptied case sitting around as punishment.)

William
Old March 13th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
[...]

William -

Since I've owned a couple of 8300's and we've discussed different aspects of
that model, I won't go there now.

I will tell you that my (current) primary desktop system is built around a
system board that would accomodate *all* of your 8300 components (other than
the Dell case itself):

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P4S800D-X.../ref=de_a_smtd

P4 478/Dual-channel DDR/AGP/ Both IDE and SATA/5 PCI slots/onboard RAID
should you choose it. Temp/hardware monitors both through BIOS and (to a
less accurate extent) via ASUS software utility. The board (if you can find
one) would be relatively inexpensive, probably around $50/$60. Some people
dislike SiS chipsets, but this is my second ASUS board with a SiS and both
have been rock-solid.

It's been very stable from the time I assembled it. I've run it in an older
Antec case with both a 350w and now a 450w PS.

Stew

Old March 13th 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

I don't know what kind of new Dell you'd be looking at if any to replace
your 8300, but FWIW, On Dell outlet site right now, they had a Dimension
E520 for only $319

Pentium-D 2.8
Vista Home Basic (obviously that would have to go)
160GB HD
1gig Ram
CD\DVD-RW combo drive
etc

another E520
Intel Core 2 Duo 1860
Vista Home Premium
160GB HD
2gig of Ram
DVD\RW
etc
$469

Old March 13th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

On Dell outlet site right now, they had a Dimension E520 for only $319

another E520
$469

Couldn't find either one, although it would not surprise me in the least if
they'd already sold.

I like the design of the E520 well enough, but any replacement must have at
least four PCI slots (Adaptec 2940 SCSI, SoundBlaster, ATI TV tuner, and
modem). Another must is a floppy drive (or support for one to be added,
which I believe the E520 has) and *all* legacy ports (parallel, serial,
PS/2). The ports and slots are probably the sticking point.

Anybody know what happens if you put a 400MHz FSB CPU in a system that
doesn't explicitly support one?

William

Old March 14th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Drouillard

4 PCI slots will be the difficult part. Many new systems have 2, but the
rest are usually PCIe slots.

the integrated audio on many new systems is actually quite good by itself,
although it depends on your particular taste and uses.

ATI TV Tuner, I understand that several of the newer TV tuners that are USB
are quite good, but that'd mean spending money.

Floppy drive is usually pretty easy to add during configuration

'All' legacy ports will be difficult without buying an add-in card. New
systems are available with a PS/2 adapter, but I understand that it's a
slot-blank with the ports on it that attaches to a connector on the MB.

It'd be the serial/parallel ports that'd require a card I believe.

Now I understand your dilemma.

I have no idea what would happen regarding the 400Mhz cpu, but I doubt it
would do any damage.

Hi!

Old March 14th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

[...]

My strong guess is that a 400mhz CPU would simply cause the system to no
POST w/o damage.

Since I have a Dim8300 here, and (2) spare P4 CPUs (2.0GHz and 1.8GHz with
400mhz FSB), I could probably try it, but I suspect the system board would
simply reject either. (No POST).

Stew

BTW, the E520 has the LGA 775 Socket T, so one couldn't use a P4 478-pin in
it anyway.

Old March 14th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Two possibilities if you put a 400MHz FSB in a motherboard not designed for it.

1. It boots up and works with 400Mhz FSB and its rated clock speed.
2. The system refuses to boot, but is undamaged.

I can't see any other possibility. To a large extent, it depends on how the
motherboard BIOS is written, because the 400MHz FSB Pentium 4 and Celery operate
at a higher voltage than some of the later Socket 478 CPUs. If the motherboard
is unable to supply the higher operating voltage due to design of its circuits,
the CPU won't be able to run... Ben Myers

Hi!

Dimension 8300 Don C Dell Computers 4 September 13th 07 08:08 PM
UK PSU for Dimension 8300 Pen Dell Computers 4 December 31st 05 05:42 PM
8300 dimension John Baiamonte Dell Computers 14 July 6th 04 10:28 PM
Dimension XPS vs. 8300 Sseaott Dell Computers 7 April 27th 04 02:36 AM
dimension 8300 can get too hot azad adsay. Dell Computers 0 January 31st 04 12:24 PM