Athlon versus Barton ??

Old February 1st 04, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Gunny Bunny

Default Athlon versus Barton ??

"BigBadger" wrote in message
"Geoff" wrote in message
Gunny Bunny wrote:
I have to make a choice:

AMD Barton XP 2500+ FSB333

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB333

which one is the better CPU ??

the 2600 above is a tbred B core
you want the xp2500 barton core

How do you know that the 2600+ is not a Barton as well???...AMD do make

the
XP2600+ with the Barton core you know.

Hello fellows,

Sorry my question was not worded better, but I am not to familiar with
hardware. I am upgrading my computer.

The store that is selling the two cpus is he

http://www.cas-tech.ca/

If you click on the CPU button on the left hand menu you will see the cpus
listed. The two I am considering a

AMD Barton XP 2500+ FSB333

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB333

The Athlon CPU is NOT a Barton core, however; I am aware Barton had the 512
cache, so I am not sure what to do I need some advice from impartial
third parties.

Thank you

Old February 1st 04, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Doughnut

How do you come to the assumption its a 2600 T/bred core Geoff? My 2600 is
a barton.

doughnut

Old February 1st 04, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
BigBadger

I think you need to clarify what cpu they are talking about when they say
XP2600+...it could be a T'bred or a Barton.....Some of the cpu's they list
as Athlon are in fact Barton core's...for instance the XP3000+ is only made
in Barton core. (anyway they are all Athlons!)

Which cpu is best depends on what you want to do with it.....For
overclocking the lower speed Bartons, either XP2500 or XP2600 are good. The
XP2600 T'bred is not such a great overclocker because it already runs at a
high clock speed.

All the chips are now likely to be multiplier locked so you need to take
your maximum FSB into consideration too.
What motherboard and memory are you using?

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Old February 1st 04, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Frank Hagan

"BigBadger" wrote in message
"Geoff" wrote in message
Gunny Bunny wrote:
[...]

I run AMD Athlons on two machines. One with a 2500 Barton "core" and one
with a 2600 T'bred "core". If the choice is between Barton and T'bred take
the 2500 especially with the pricing I saw on the web site you indicated.
In fact, at the indicated pricing, take the 2500 over the 2600 no matter
what it is. Just my $00.02 ;-)

FRH

Old February 1st 04, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
QBall

I think you may mean Thoroughbred or Barton.
Barton has more cache 512, not 256 and gets higher FSB (generally).

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
What is better an AMD Athlon or AMD Barton CPU ??

Old February 1st 04, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
QBall

2500 - easily.
Will get you much better FSB and higher gross o/c.

"Hank" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I have to make a choice:

AMD Barton XP 2500+ FSB333

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB333

which one is the better CPU ??

AMD Barton XP 2600+ FSB333

Hank

Old February 1st 04, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
QBall

Actually, the 2600 looks like a Barton too - with 333.

Old February 1st 04, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Hank

"QBall" wrote in message
2500 - easily.
Will get you much better FSB and higher gross o/c.

Yeah you could be right. I can only get my 2600+ Barton up to 2519MHz and
still be prime 95 stable. I can only imagine what I could do with a cpu that
had a locked mutilplier of 11 instead of 11.5

Hank

Old February 1st 04, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
QBall

alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardwar e.overclocking.amd
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 8:58 AM

2500 - easily.
Will get you much better FSB and higher gross o/c.

Yeah you could be right. I can only get my 2600+ Barton up to 2519MHz

Shee, that must suck !
When I said 2500 easily - I should have qualified it with the qualifier that
only if the 2600 was a TBB.
Nice o/c - what are you cooling with ?

and
still be prime 95 stable. I can only imagine what I could do with a cpu

that
had a locked multiplier at 11 instead of 11.5

What memory are you using and bandwidth do you get ?

Hank