Could this be a CPU bug?

Old September 11th 03, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

Default Could this be a CPU bug?

I have a Gigabyte 7vtxe which I've had for about 2-3 years. still use the same mobo and since I've changed to win xp I have no
probs. still use the same 1.5 gb ram as well.

Old September 11th 03, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

"E_\\_¼__½__¾__F" wrote:

I have a Gigabyte 7vtxe which I've had for about 2-3 years. still use the same mobo and since I've changed to win xp I have no
probs. still use the same 1.5 gb ram as well.

Same KT/KM chipset, so VIA's infamous 'Q.A.' department is to blame... an 'upgrade' to WinXP would cost me $500 and stop half my
programs from working... maybe I could swap this motherboard with a WinXP user I know's 100/200fsb motherboard.

Old September 11th 03, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

This problem may also be with some programs running on your system since I've seen other win 95,98,ME users with no apparent
problems. I, however run all kinds of apps on my system for all different sorts of things. If theres a way for you to evaluate what
apps you run, that may be helpful also. Maybe disable some of those "Start with windows" apps and only start them when you need. I
agree with the other posters here that its more than likely a software issue. Its either your OS or some of your apps or both. Good
luck and I hope this helps.

Old September 11th 03, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

pass wrote:

Hello.

My computer is having this chronic problem which I believe is hardware
related. I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)

No question. Between the two the via chipset is the known flakey part.. If
you're tired of hardware problems, stop using Via chipsets!
--

Stacey
Old September 11th 03, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

Hello.

My computer is having this chronic problem which I believe is hardware
related. I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird 850
socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)

No question. Between the two the via chipset is the known flakey part.. If
you're tired of hardware problems, stop using Via chipsets!
--

Stacey

Gawd..
If you support the fact that this is probably a hardware fault then you
probably dont have what it takes to get a VIA system stable...
Nvidia systems arent as bad to get stable with driver issues, via problems
can be hard to fix but can be fixed. He has a software issue, Maybee he's
running some p2p app or icq or just SOMETHING that's causing some really
buggy stuff to happen. Norton av can cause these types of problems, Norton
firewall can cause the same problem with connections that dont get reset (ie
telnet connections). Dont support a flawed statement with another flawed
statement.. that's just wrong

Old September 11th 03, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

Stacey

Gawd..
If you support the fact that this is probably a hardware fault then you
probably dont have what it takes to get a VIA system stable...
Nvidia systems arent as bad to get stable with driver issues, via problems
can be hard to fix but can be fixed. He has a software issue, Maybee he's
running some p2p app or icq or just SOMETHING that's causing some really
buggy stuff to happen. Norton av can cause these types of problems, Norton
firewall can cause the same problem with connections that dont get reset (ie
telnet connections). Dont support a flawed statement with another flawed
statement.. that's just wrong

With a clean install of Windows 95 or ME on a brand-new clean hard-drive with no
other drivers or software installed and no hardware such as modems and sound
cards installed, with different ram modules & PSUs tried, this still happens.
Unless Matrox, nVidia and S3 all produce multiple revisions of video drivers
with the same identical bug in them, then this is not a software issue unless
the issue is with Windows itself. If Windows 9.x has got a software display bug
in it, then VIA's & / or Asus's Q.A. should've noticed and worked around it, but
I'm guessing they may've never done basic stress testing under anything except
Windows NT/XP.
I wondered about a CPU bug being at fault as it is a fact that AMD Thunderbirds
have graphics-related bugs which have been known to cause lockups.

Old September 11th 03, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

[...]

Okay,
What "Known fact" of thunderbirds and graphics? .. I got one that's still
running today (athlon 800) and I have never had this problem..

now.. What are you using to "view" these graphics? ..
I mean is it any graphics program or just specific graphics programs, or
just internet explorer..

Did you try upgrading your directx version..

Did you check for video card updates, did you try older via drivers, newer
via drivers. VIA drivers can be flakey, try older versions, try newer
versions, Did you check your RAM settings (ie turn them down).. Try running
memtest for a day or so and see if you have any failures..

I am not saying a hardware failure is impossible or that the cpu is faulty
BUT.. I find it verry odd that your using a motherboard and processor that's
? 3 or 4 years old now.. and this is the firs time a fault like this has
been mention'd

Old September 11th 03, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

[...]

FWIW,
Test your AMD processor for false pixels with JPEG or MPEG videos
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/as-24.08.01-000/

That problem seems to be with jpeg images not being displayed correctly
http://www.vanshardware.com/news/200...3_AMD_JPEG.htm
http://www.vanshardware.com/news/200...on_AMD_JPG.htm

(I did have to dig around a bit to find enough discussion on the issue)
but it's def not what this guy is reporting

Old September 12th 03, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

rstlne wrote:

Hello.

My computer is having this chronic problem which I believe is hardware
related. I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird
850 socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)

No question. Between the two the via chipset is the known flakey part..
If you're tired of hardware problems, stop using Via chipsets!
--

Stacey

Gawd..
If you support the fact that this is probably a hardware fault then you
probably dont have what it takes to get a VIA system stable...

A stable Via system is an oxymoronic statement as they are only stable
because the owner hasn't pushed them. And who in their right mind WANTS to
play with new/old versions of 4in1 drivers trying to get flakey hardware
stable when there are OTHER options that don't require these hassles?
What's the point in shooting yourself in the foot when you KNOW it's going
to hurt? Oh I see YOU buy Via boards and fight with them? LOL!! "Gawd" help
you!

If you read the OP's statement this sounds like flakey hardware to me. $20
says put this chip on an non-via board and the problem will disappear.

--

Stacey
Old September 12th 03, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

A stable Via system is an oxymoronic statement as they are only stable
because the owner hasn't pushed them. And who in their right mind WANTS to
play with new/old versions of 4in1 drivers trying to get flakey hardware
stable when there are OTHER options that don't require these hassles?
What's the point in shooting yourself in the foot when you KNOW it's going
to hurt? Oh I see YOU buy Via boards and fight with them? LOL!! "Gawd" help
you!

If you read the OP's statement this sounds like flakey hardware to me. $20
says put this chip on an non-via board and the problem will disappear.

Do you have any suggestions on how I am to 'make this board stable'? I've
played around with new and old versions of the 4in1 drivers, they either do
nothing or require a format c: after installation

--

Stacey