is this good server?!

Old May 2nd 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default is this good server?!

Can you please help me with this server. I selected the main parts of
the server and I like to know what do you think about these part and
how well they would work together. I appreciate any feedback or
suggestion to modify the server whereever it is ncessary. Thanks
=====================================
1- Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz ( 800 MHz ) - L3 2 MB - Box ACTIVE
2- SUPERMICRO - ATX - E7320 - Socket 604 - UDMA100, SATA (RAID) - 2 x
Gigabit Ethernet - video (X6DVL-EG2)
3- Kingston 1GB (2X512MB) 400MHz DDR2 ECC (KVR400D2E3K2/1G)"Standard
64M X 72 ECC 400MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL3)"
4- Seagate 36G CHEETAH 15K4 ULTRA320 SCSI 68PIN 8MB(ST336754LW)

Old May 2nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article . com,
wrote:

Can you please help me with this server. I selected the main parts of
the server and I like to know what do you think about these part and
how well they would work together. I appreciate any feedback or
suggestion to modify the server whereever it is ncessary. Thanks
=====================================
1- Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz ( 800 MHz ) - L3 2 MB - Box ACTIVE
2- SUPERMICRO - ATX - E7320 - Socket 604 - UDMA100, SATA (RAID) - 2 x
Gigabit Ethernet - video (X6DVL-EG2)
3- Kingston 1GB (2X512MB) 400MHz DDR2 ECC (KVR400D2E3K2/1G)"Standard
64M X 72 ECC 400MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL3)"
4- Seagate 36G CHEETAH 15K4 ULTRA320 SCSI 68PIN 8MB(ST336754LW)

To build a server, you start by making a list of all the applications
that will run on the server. Then, you research what resources
the server needs, to match the needs of the applications.

You are just buying a pile of parts, and there is no way anyone
can look at that pile of parts, and tell you whether it is a
good server _for what you want to do_ . For example, if you
are just building a file server, you can make one of those out
of just about anything. Other server types are more demanding
of resources.

You can help yourself, by reading articles like this, and then
see how the various hardware solutions contribute to good
server performance. Once you have done more background
reading, you can make your purchase with a little more
confidence.

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447

Paul