PSU continuously beeping

Old April 30th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default PSU continuously beeping

Hi!

I have a problem. I don't know what I did wrong, but it's annoying to
leave things like this. The thing is that my PSU was fairly loud. Since
I wanted to have a more quiet solution and didn't want to spend money
on new PSU, I bought 2 silent fans (one 18db and the other 17db) with
equivalent airflow to the one I had before.
I opened up the PSU (Antec TruePower 330W) and replaced both fans. Now
I get continuous beeps comming from the inside of the PSU. It's not
like the PC speaker would beep, that's not it at all. It's just comming
from inside of the PSU. The beeps are continuous, folowing one another
in aproximately 1s intervals, quiet (a lot more quiet than the PC
speaker), but extremely annoying.

I don't know if any of you had this problem, but if you know something
about this situation, please let me know. Why is the PSU beeping?

Another thing. If I'm working on something that requires some disc
activity, the beeping stops and returns when disc activity ceases. I
also failed to mention that I accidently tore out one if the fan's wire
- the yellow one. As I know, the PSU doesn't need the yellow wire since
the fan is connected with 2pin connector. However, one of the previous
fans had three wires: blue, black and red. I wasn't sure where to
connect the blue wire to the new fan so it's still detached.

Thanks for your help!

Old April 30th 06, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Is there any way to shut this beep down? The fans are working since I
see them spinning.

Old May 1st 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

The beeping is probably indicating system overheating.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old May 1st 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article . com,
2Sexy says...
Is there any way to shut this beep down?

Yep...wire up the speed sensor.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 1st 06, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Don't tell me that's the yellow wire... That's the one that that's
missing (it came of the fan by mistake). How should I put it back on.
The chip in the fan isn't exactly easily accessible :/

Old May 1st 06, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Another problem: I put back the original fans, wired them correctly,
but the noise is still there.

Old May 1st 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I don't know why, I thought the sound was comming from the PSU. It
sounded just like it was comming from there and since this was the only
thing that changed in my computer, I thought it was it.

But now I started listening to other devices in my computer. I
determined that it is the Maxtor 160GB disc that is making the noise.
How wrong is that - will the disc in the near future fail me?

Old May 1st 06, 11:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"2Sexy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know why, I thought the sound was comming from the PSU. It
sounded just like it was comming from there and since this was the only
thing that changed in my computer, I thought it was it.

But now I started listening to other devices in my computer. I
determined that it is the Maxtor 160GB disc that is making the noise.
How wrong is that - will the disc in the near future fail me?

Change the nic from 2sexy, to, 2silly g.
Any noises your Hdrive make are suspect !.
You have got your important stuff backed up ?.
If not make that a priority Now !.
Then D\load the Maxtor drive tools from the Maxtor site,
and run them on your drive.
www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Old May 1st 06, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

2Sexy wrote:
I don't know why, I thought the sound was comming from the PSU. It
sounded just like it was comming from there and since this was the only
thing that changed in my computer, I thought it was it.

But now I started listening to other devices in my computer. I
determined that it is the Maxtor 160GB disc that is making the noise.
How wrong is that - will the disc in the near future fail me?

Get and run the Maxtor drive test software from their web site.

Sounds like you may have exceeded the drive limits - either excessive
temperature or, more likely, excessive g shock whilst running. If so,
the diagnostic software will tell you that almost immediately.

Afraid that is normally terminal as far as reliability is concerned and
Maxtor will not replace it under warranty, if it is reporting that it
has been misused.

If not further mistreated, it may keep going for months, or seconds..

--
Sue