Situation with Asus P5WD2-Premium's ethernet ports

Old April 28th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Situation with Asus P5WD2-Premium's ethernet ports

I have just bought an Asus P5WD2-Premium motherboard
(http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelme nu=1),
it has 2 ethernet ports on it : 'marvell 88e 8001 gigabit ethernet' and
'intel(r) tekoa ethernet', on my old system i was running a 'Netgear FA311
Fast ethernet adaptor PCI card' and had no problems connecting via cable
modem to my ISP (optusnet) through this.

I installed the new motherboard and i installed the ethernet drivers which
came on the motherboards CD, the system works fine, except i cannot connect
to my ISP through the onboard ethernet adaptors, the drivers install without
a hitch, and the devices report that they are working properly, but i cant
get a connection through them to my ISP, i then tried the latest drivers off
the ASUS website, and i had the same problem, i then installed my old
network card 'Netgear FA311' and the connection works fine.

When i plug the RJ45 into the motherboards ethernet port #1 the LED responds
with a slow steady orange flash, but this will go on until i unplug it (up
to 10 minutes), and it can never seem to get a connection, and when plugging
it into the motherboards ethernet port #2 i get no light at all, but when
plugging it into my 'Netgear FA311' it gets a connection almost instantly,

Is there something i am overlooking, can someone plese help me out here?

Old April 29th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Nyarlathotep" wrote in message
u...
[...]

You need TCP/IP installed and linked to whatever network adapter you are
using. If you are running windows XP, run the network setup wizard in the
control panel. Specify that you connect via LAN. -Dave

Old April 29th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

i did a fresh install of win xp when i put together the new system, in the
install network options i had xp install tcpip for the network adaptor on
the MB, this process was no different to the way i would usually set up my
netgear card, and when looking at the properties for the card in network
connections status, it would display tcpip, i tried a 'repair connection'
but it would just hang on it and not much was achieved, in the 'activity'
dialog box, there was no movement of bytes, though the connection status
would give a reading for 'connected' and a 'duration' but i could not get a
ping for anything

Old April 29th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:06:27 +1000, "Nyarlathotep"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

What is the ip you get? If it is in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range, try
goint to a website with 192.168.xxx.1 in the location box. I suspect
the cable modem was tied to your old ethernet card's mac address.

Old April 29th 06, 07:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

but the card was bought seperate to the modem (which was supplied by optus)
could this still be the case ? if so, will resetting the modem, address this
problem ?

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:06:27 +1000, "Nyarlathotep"
wrote:

link.net...

Old April 29th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:06:27 +1000, "Nyarlathotep"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

What shows in Device Manager? If shows no problem, then speak to cable
people about changing MAC address on PC.
Mike.

Old April 30th 06, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default i thank eveyone for all your help !

i reset the modem and everything seems to be working fine..... I thank
everyone for all their help !

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:06:27 +1000, "Nyarlathotep"
wrote:

thlink.net...