Question on replacing HD

Old April 20th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Question on replacing HD

Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I got
a while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120 gig HD
as an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way
to transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM
drive and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace the
old HD with the new?

Thanks,
Craig

Old April 20th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Williams rattled our cages with this on Thursday 4/20/2006

Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I got a
while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120 gig HD as
an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way to
transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM drive
and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace the old HD
with the new?

Thanks,
Craig

You should be able to remove an IDE device and replace it with your New
drive. I would go to **System, hardware, Device Manager** and remove
the IDE device before installing the HDD. XP should automatically see
and install it. Also, make sure the HDD is jumpered identically to the
IDE device you remove. ie: Master or Slave or Cable Select.....

That's all,

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you"

Colin Sautar

Old April 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Williams" wrote in message
Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I
got a while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120
gig HD as an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way
to transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM
drive and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace
the old HD with the new?

Yes. That will work fine. Just watch the jumper settings on ALL drives
that you move, every time you move them. The only "glitch" is, somewhere in
this process, Windows might assign a different drive letter to the new
drive, depending on how you partition it. That's not a big deal, it just
means that (for example) drive E: might become drive F: (but your data will
be there) -Dave

Old April 21st 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Williams" wrote in message
Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I
got a while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120
gig HD as an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way
to transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM
drive and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace
the old HD with the new?

Thanks,
Craig

Best way is to keep XP out of the picture. Use copying software from the HD
mfr that operates from boot media, or similar 3rd party software. You can
even pull the XP associated hard drive to allow ide cable room for copying.
--
Jonny

Old April 21st 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:33:47 GMT, "Williams"
wrote:

Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I got
a while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120 gig HD
as an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way
to transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM
drive and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace the
old HD with the new?

Thanks,
Craig

The way I handle this situation is first replace the old drive with
the new drive. Then partition and format the new drive. Finally,
reconnect the old drive, and copy its files to the new drive.
Old April 21st 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it
is getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive
that I got a while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep
the old 120 gig HD as an external drive for backup of digital
pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best
way to transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the
CD-ROM drive and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then
replace the old HD with the new?

Thanks,
Craig

The way I handle this situation is first replace the old drive with
the new drive. Then partition and format the new drive. Finally,
reconnect the old drive, and copy its files to the new drive.

I totally agree with that approach. I assume that you are putting the old
HD in an external USB2 enclosure (I've done this before). Word of advise,
most enclosures require you to set the jumpers to master.

Pete
Old April 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

wrote:

The way I handle this situation is first replace the old drive with
the new drive. Then partition and format the new drive. Finally,
reconnect the old drive, and copy its files to the new drive.

I totally agree with that approach. I assume that you are putting the old
HD in an external USB2 enclosure (I've done this before). Word of advise,
most enclosures require you to set the jumpers to master.

Pete

Andy and Pete,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll use this method. Yes, I'll be putting the
old HD in an external USB enclosure, so I'll be sure that the jumpers are
set correctly.

Craig

Old May 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Williams" wrote...
Windows XP system with two 120 gig HD. HD 2 is my data disk, and it is
getting full, so I would like to replace it with a 250 gig drive that I got a
while back but haven't installed yet. I intend to keep the old 120 gig HD as
an external drive for backup of digital pictures.

My question is, since I have all the IDE cables used, what is the best way to
transfer data from the old drive to the new? Can I remove the CD-ROM drive
and install the new HD in its place, copy the files, then replace the old HD
with the new?

Buy an external USB2/Firewire enclosure for the old HD. Remove the HD from the
system and install it in the enclosure.

Install the new HD in the old slot. Partition and format it.

Connect the USB/Firewire enclosure. Copy all files onto the new HD.

Verify file copy. Delete old files from old HD. Repartition and reformat.