internal serial cable for COM2 - Asus AV8 Deluxe

Old September 18th 05, 12:02 AM
Wayne

Default internal serial cable for COM2 - Asus AV8 Deluxe

I just added an internal serial cable for COM2 on my Asus A8V Deluxe.
There are two common but different ways that internal serial headers are
wired. This cable is 257237 from Frys Electronics, and is wired
straight-through, NOT crosswired. I believed that was correct? But it
doesnt work, so maybe not?

Anyone have any experience with that? Is straight or crossed correct?

Old September 18th 05, 12:35 AM
Peter

"Wayne" wrote in message newsg1Xe.1160$yN1.86@trnddc03...
I just added an internal serial cable for COM2 on my Asus A8V Deluxe.
There are two common but different ways that internal serial headers are
wired. This cable is 257237 from Frys Electronics, and is wired
straight-through, NOT crosswired. I believed that was correct? But it
doesnt work, so maybe not?

Anyone have any experience with that? Is straight or crossed correct?

I'd say if it doesn't work, try the other one.

The serial ports in older Asus boards were wired straight
thru, but it's possible they changed formats at some point.

Are the pinouts in the manual?

Old September 18th 05, 01:46 AM
Paul

In article pg1Xe.1160$yN1.86@trnddc03, Wayne wrote:

I just added an internal serial cable for COM2 on my Asus A8V Deluxe.
There are two common but different ways that internal serial headers are
wired. This cable is 257237 from Frys Electronics, and is wired
straight-through, NOT crosswired. I believed that was correct? But it
doesnt work, so maybe not?

Anyone have any experience with that? Is straight or crossed correct?

The issue at the motherboard level, is whether the cable needed
is INTEL or DTK.

AT-EVEREX-INTEL pinout (likely the Asus way too)
http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

DTK pinout
http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm

One user's experiments - AT-EVEREX-INTEL on P4C800-E
http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html

Tying pin 2 and 3 together, should give you an echo.
(Assuming you used an INTEL cable on an INTEL header.)
If using a DTK cable on an INTEL header, you would
get a HyperTerminal echo by tying pin 2 to pin 6 (considering
the miswiring going on). You can try that if you don't
have a multimeter to verify the wiring.

******
At the equipment level, a piece of equipment can either
be DCE (Data Communications Equipment - the modem)
or DTE (Data Terminal Equipment - 80x24 terminal or a computer).
If connecting two computers together, you need a null modem
cable, which will convert one to the other. There is info
on interfaces and cables he

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/serial_news.txt
******

There have also been some problems with serial ports on
S939 boards using 8712F Super I/O chip. I think the
first problem, doesn't include the use of an adapter
cable, meaning the problem is with the hardware.

A8N-E (using user's own adapter?)
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...99f55f924bc094
A8N-SLI (uses included COM cable)
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...fcc6a69281df2d

Fortunately, your board uses a Winbond chip, so it is not
likely to be the same problem as the two above. You also
have one motherboard COM1 port, to compare to the COM2
problem you are fighting.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 18th 05, 04:05 AM
Wayne

Paul, I knew there are the two common types. Question is which one?
I assumed straight-through was correct for the Asus A8V Deluxe, but it isnt
working, so maybe not? Problem might be something else, but I'm skeptical.

Bill, yes BIOS shows COM2 on at 2F8. But you're right, I never thought to
check it before.

Peter, yes, I need to find the other type to try. That is not real easy
locally. Many cables dont bother to even specify which type they are, I
guess magic makes it work out OK. Those that do may say Intel type (which I
assume implies crossed), may say straight through, or may say crossed. Then
the big problem is that Asus doesnt say which they need now. I thought
straight would be right, but my faith is shaken. The manual only shows the
pin 1 end. I dont find any mention of it online at Asus. I wish they had
provided this COM2 cable. I wish I still had a breakout box.

No one with an A8V Deluxe ever used COM2?

Old September 18th 05, 09:32 AM
MasterBlaster

"Wayne" wrote

Paul, I knew there are the two common types. Question is which one?
I assumed straight-through was correct for the Asus A8V Deluxe, but it isnt
working, so maybe not? Problem might be something else, but I'm skeptical.

Bill, yes BIOS shows COM2 on at 2F8. But you're right, I never thought to
check it before.

Peter, yes, I need to find the other type to try. That is not real easy
locally. Many cables dont bother to even specify which type they are, I
guess magic makes it work out OK.

Do you have a cable on COM1? Is it a standard 9-pin connector?

Remove the connector from the the slot cover, or wherever it's attached.
The plastic "hood" will slide back, exposing the soldered wires.

You'll have one of these 2 patterns:
5.4.3.2.1
..9.8.7.6

9.7.5.3.1
..8.6.4.2

Pin 1 is always the same, so they either go right-to-left on top, then bottom,
or zig-zag up-down-up-down from right to left.

Make the new one the same way. 5 minute resoldering job.

Old September 18th 05, 11:49 AM
Daniel Mandic

Wayne wrote:

I just added an internal serial cable for COM2 on my Asus A8V Deluxe.
There are two common but different ways that internal serial headers
are wired. This cable is 257237 from Frys Electronics, and is wired
straight-through, NOT crosswired. I believed that was correct? But
it doesnt work, so maybe not?

Anyone have any experience with that? Is straight or crossed correct?

Hi Wayne!

If you mean the onboard serial ports, COM1 and COM2. You should take
Straight, not crossed, as it would from one COM to an Other COM
(Null-MoDem).

Watch out to connect the red marked wire to Pin 0 on the MB. If you
change the sides, the Serial Port wonīt work. Like IDE Cables - Also
having Pin 0 (mostly, a red wire).

You can see Pin0 (sometimes marked as PIN1 instead of 0 - donīt worry
itīs the same) on the MB and probably also in the Manual of the MB.

Good Luck.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Old September 18th 05, 12:23 PM
Paul

In article FP4Xe.4941$nV1.397@trnddc06, Wayne wrote:

[...]

http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2.html

"For all Asus motherboards, you can use our V1 cable. For other
brands of motherboard, you need to check the pin assignments
(more informations at the bottom of the page)."

Their pinout diagram looks straight thru to me - which is the
AT-Intel-Everex wiring. CPX102_2 looks like this:

http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm (AT-EVEREX-INTEL Version)

DB-9 IDC-10
Pin 1 Pin 1
Pin 2 Pin 2
Pin 3 Pin 3
Pin 4 Pin 4
Pin 5 Pin 5
Pin 6 Pin 6
Pin 7 Pin 7
Pin 8 Pin 8
Pin 9 Pin 9

To make a crossed cable, I would think you'd need room on one
end of the assembly, to cross the wires. Perhaps you can use that
as a visual cue. (If the connector housing on either end is
compact, then there isn't room for a crossover.)

As for the test I was attempting to get you to do, that is a
loopback test. If you had a straight cable on the Asus header,
shorting pin 2 to 3, then typing into a Hyperterminal session
pointed at that COM port, should give you two characters for
every one typed. Getting into Hyperterminal, and connecting
to that port, implies the "path" to that port is there in
software. Wiring pin 2 to pin 3 means TXD and RXD on that
port are connected to one another, and the resulting
echoed character should be visible to you in Hyperterminal.
That eliminates baud rate, start/stop problems from the equation.

If that test works, but you cannot connect to a modem, it could
be a baud rate mismatch, for example. It could also be a
flow control problem (i.e a busted wire in the cable assembly
could stop either a loopback test, or a test with a modem,
from working).

HTH,
Paul
Old September 18th 05, 11:56 PM
Wayne

News just in...

It has been explained to me that I am confusing the wiring.

I was wrong, and the wiring on the internal COM2 cable that I have is
NOT Straight-through. It is instead crossed, and it doesnt work on the AV8
Deluxe. I obviously need a straight-through cable, in agreement with
conventional wisdom for Asus (but not tested yet).

The crossed cable I bought didnt specify what it was (most dont), but after
opening the hood, the pinout of a cross-wired cable matches the actual
ordering of the DB9 pin arrangement, and the final result of a crossed cable
allows the ribbon to remain very flat and very orderly after wiring each
consecutive ribbon wire to the next closest pin, left to right, simply
ALTERNATING UPPER AND LOWER PIN ROWS in the same order as the ribbon cable.

This must be the only purpose of the crossed function, since extension
cables are otherwise always straight through. I superficially confused this
orderly straight wiring with a straight-through cable, but it is instead a
crosswired cable, designed to be very flat and orderly at the DB9.

A straight-through cable wiring is much more jumbled up at the DB9, having
to loop back to several pins on the other side, due to the DB9 pin numbering
scheme itself being jumbled, at least in any left-to-right sense like say a
ribbon cable is orderly.

I hope this can help someone else now, instead of confuse.

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard Andre General 2 October 13th 04 01:46 AM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Problem with ASUS V9570 NVidia 5700 card and ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard MarkW General Hardware 0 February 10th 04 05:26 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe questions Lenroc Asus Motherboards 1 June 24th 03 08:58 AM