Gateway FX530 Mods?

Old January 23rd 09, 01:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

Default Gateway FX530 Mods?

Anyone modding or upgrading parts in their FX530 yet? I just added a
Antec VCool slot cooler that is keeping my 8800GTX (GW factory
overclocked 25mhz more) between 5 to 10 degrees centigrade cooler,
even though I had to mount it underneath it. Next I'm looking to
replace all 4gb memory with high performance memory that can be
overclocked like the Patriot Extreme Performance (PDC22G5300LLK)
667mhz PC2-5300 memory. Newegg has great prices on 2x1gb kits so I
might order 2 kits to give me four new 1gb modules that I could
overclock via memory timings in the BIOS. I still have to do something
about the messy internal cabling too. Might replace the DVD/RW IDE
ribbon cables with IDE round cables and somehow strap back the thick
Delta 700W power supply cables to make it look nicer inside. Here is
my configuration:

Gateway FX530 - Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1, Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
Core 2 Quad CPU, 4gb RAM, 500gb RAID-0 HD, Dual DVD/RW, 700w Power
Supply, Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb GPU (OC), 22" Widescreen LCD, Asus/ViXS
Combo-210E TV Tuner, Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Audio, Logitech X-230
Speaker System, Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset, Logitech G15
Gaming Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Rocketfish Gaming Mouse
Pad, Antec VCool Slot VGA Cooler, Iomega Prestige 500gb USB HD, Line-6
TonePort GX

Old January 23rd 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

While I'm at it, to replace my ATA/IDE (dual DVD/RW drives) ribbon
cable with the round type - what cable length should I get? Will a 3
connector 18" cable length be long enough to reach across to the
motherboard without being too tight or blocking access to the memory
slots? I'm not sure if the 18" length includes the 2 connector section
at the drive bays, or is it just the length from the middle connector
to system board connector? I'm not sure how it's measured by the
manufacturer.
Old January 23rd 09, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Ikaros wrote:
While I'm at it, to replace my ATA/IDE (dual DVD/RW drives) ribbon
cable with the round type - what cable length should I get? Will a 3
connector 18" cable length be long enough to reach across to the
motherboard without being too tight or blocking access to the memory
slots? I'm not sure if the 18" length includes the 2 connector section
at the drive bays, or is it just the length from the middle connector
to system board connector? I'm not sure how it's measured by the
manufacturer.

FWIW, 18" is the established standard maximum ATA/IDE cable length.
Placement of the two connectors for drives is very important in relation
to where the drives are in the case... Ben Myers
Old January 24th 09, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

On Jan 23, 6:36*pm, Ben Myers wrote:
FWIW, 18" is the established standard maximum ATA/IDE cable length.
Placement of the two connectors for drives is very important in relation
to where the drives are in the case... Ben Myers

Yeah, I read that standard too and then wondered why they sell them in
longer lengths anyway. But here is a page where I uploaded pics of my
system to see what I'm dealing with to clean up the wiring mess inside
as Gateway shipped it:

http://www.evga.com/community/ModsRi...sp?sysid=10609

Just click on the little thumbnail images to see the interior full
size. I just hope 18" in the round IDE cable isn't too short or tight
across the memory slots or I'll get stuck with using the ribbon cable.
Hopefully someone else with an FX530 has done this already. I looked
at the Gateway doc pages for the new FX540 which looks similar inside
and they are using a round IDE cable, but I only see their part number
and a 500mm length which is around 19.6" going to an optical drive in
the lower bay position where the card media reader is in mine.

Old January 24th 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

I just took an 18" strip of paper and marked off 6" from one end to
account for the 2 optical drive positions. It looks like it would fit.
I will get an 18" ATA133 spec IDE round cable. They are cheap for only
a few dollars on Newegg.

The heavy power cables are going to be tricky because most are not
long enough to do anything with. See this pic:
http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/fx530_small.jpg

I have some velcro ties so I may have to strap all of them together
coming right down the center and split them right and left near the
bottom. Only one power cable may be able to route behind the green CPU
cooling duct, but might not be worth it because it wouldn't really
block airflow at that location anyway. If I bundle them together
nicely they wouldn't look as haywire anyway! I should also be able to
route the red SATA cables behind everything coming up behind the ends
of the expansion cards across the motherboard.

Old January 24th 09, 04:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

Okay, well tomorrow I will most likely order this from Newegg:

2 Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G5300LLK
Item #: N82E16820220095
$49.98
(I'll try to overclock the memory timings some via the BIOS)

1 VANTEC 24" Blue IDE Round Cable Model CBL-100IDE24-BL
Item #: N82E16812232010
$4.99
(The IDE cable is to replace the ribbon cable to my DVD/RW drives.)