DReading a QRST5 720KB 3.5" Disk Image

Old January 13th 08, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.msdos,comp.os.msdos.misc
[email protected]

Default DReading a QRST5 720KB 3.5" Disk Image

I have a program which needs to be written on a 720KD 3.5" Floppy
with qrst5 in order to work. I ordered some such floppies, but am in a
hurry and would rather do a software fix. Any tricks for reading such
an image so I can get to work?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Old January 13th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.msdos,comp.os.msdos.misc
John Dulak

wrote:
I have a program which needs to be written on a 720KD 3.5" Floppy
with qrst5 in order to work. I ordered some such floppies, but am in a
hurry and would rather do a software fix. Any tricks for reading such
an image so I can get to work?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

All you have to do is put some tape over the hole in corner of a 1.4
Meg floppy and the drive will treat it as if it was a 720 Kb floppy.

NOTE: the hole in the corner of a floppy case with a sliding cover is
the "Write Protect" hole; you need to cover the hole in the other
corner to emulate a 720 KB floppy. Some drives detect this with an LED
and almost any covering of the hole will work. Other drives use a
mechanical switch so you would need a fairly stiff cover, like several
layers of tape.

HTH & GL

John

--
\\\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6
Old January 14th 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.msdos,comp.os.msdos.misc
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage John Dulak wrote:
wrote:
I have a program which needs to be written on a 720KD 3.5" Floppy
with qrst5 in order to work. I ordered some such floppies, but am in a
hurry and would rather do a software fix. Any tricks for reading such
an image so I can get to work?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

All you have to do is put some tape over the hole in corner of a 1.4
Meg floppy and the drive will treat it as if it was a 720 Kb floppy.

That is a veryu bad idea. 1.44M and 720M floppies use different
signal strengths. You will end up with a floppy that may be
unreadable very fast.

Arno

Old January 14th 08, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.msdos,comp.os.msdos.misc
231

Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage John Dulak
I have a program which needs to be written on a 720KD 3.5" Floppy
with qrst5 in order to work. I ordered some such floppies, but am
in a hurry and would rather do a software fix. Any tricks for
reading such
an image so I can get to work?

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,
BioStrategist
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully
disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy
obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets
zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

All you have to do is put some tape over the hole in corner of a 1.4
Meg floppy and the drive will treat it as if it was a 720 Kb floppy.

That is a veryu bad idea.

Nope, not when the OP wanted a quick and dirty workaround while waiting for the correct media.

Old January 16th 08, 04:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Turco

231 wrote:

Esra Sdrawkcab wrote
231 wrote
Arno Wagner wrote
John Dulak wrote
wrote

I have a program which needs to be written on a 720KD 3.5"
Floppy with qrst5 in order to work. I ordered some such floppies,
but am in a hurry and would rather do a software fix. Any tricks
for reading such an image so I can get to work?

All you have to do is put some tape over the hole in corner of a 1.4 Meg floppy and the drive will treat it as if
it was a 720 Kb floppy.

That is a veryu bad idea.
1.44M and 720M floppies use different signal strengths. You
will end up with a floppy that may be unreadable very fast.

Nope, not when the OP wanted a quick and dirty workaround while waiting for the correct media.

Disagree

Your problem...

- if it is a "virgin" disk it should be fine; the problems only occurred when converting one formatted to 1 size to
another

You're massively confusing what happens with 5¼" floppys with what happens with 3½" floppys.

(I think LD to HD but IMWBW and even then I feel this applied only to 5.25" (genuine floppy!) disks).

OJYFR

(order of quoting fixed)

Your anal obsessions are your problem.

Hello, Rod:

Okay, what I really want to know, is...what the hell does "IMWBW"
stand for, anyway? :-)

Cordially,
John Turco