Just built a new system

Old November 24th 03, 09:44 AM
Grigory Zaigralin

Default Just built a new system

Just built a new system, with new motherboard, new hard drive,
new CPU, etc. and keep having this wierd glitch. Only happens
once every morning!

I turn on the computer, the moterboard gets powered, but there's
no video signal, and the drives are silent. I disconnect one of the
drives (both power & IDE, just power is not enough!) and then the
system boots up normally, from the second drive. I power it down,
reconnect the first drive, and it still boots OK, until the next
morning.

wtf?

Motherboard: FIC KT-748
CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
HD: two WDs 80gb
Memory: 1gb

Old November 24th 03, 04:59 PM
kony

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:44:46 GMT, Grigory Zaigralin
wrote:

Just built a new system, with new motherboard, new hard drive,
new CPU, etc. and keep having this wierd glitch. Only happens
once every morning!

I turn on the computer, the moterboard gets powered, but there's
no video signal, and the drives are silent. I disconnect one of the
drives (both power & IDE, just power is not enough!) and then the
system boots up normally, from the second drive. I power it down,
reconnect the first drive, and it still boots OK, until the next
morning.

wtf?

Motherboard: FIC KT-748
CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
HD: two WDs 80gb
Memory: 1gb

Low end motherboard, might have something wrong with it that QC
missed, but seems more likley your power supply is too weak on it's
12V rail, needs replaced with different, name-brand.

What make/model/capacity power supply?

Dave

Old November 24th 03, 11:07 PM
Grigory Zaigralin

wrote:

[...]

Turbolink Switching Power Supply
LC-A350ATX (350w)
made in China I think

GZ

Old November 24th 03, 11:33 PM
kony

wrote:

[...]

Not just a low-capacity unit, but deceivingly labeled, poor for any
capacity.

Try a good name-brand like Sparkle/Fortron, Antec, Delta, etc. Can't
guarantee it's the power supply but unless you have another available
to swap in for testing, that's the first part I'd replace.

Does your motherboard BIOS or WIndows utility show good voltage
levels? If you can check the voltage on the power supply leads with a
voltage meter that'd be good to do too, especially when it's in the
on-but-no-POST state.

Dave

Old November 25th 03, 09:31 AM
Grigory Zaigralin

kony wrote:
Does your motherboard BIOS or WIndows utility show good voltage
levels? If you can check the voltage on the power supply leads with a
voltage meter that'd be good to do too, especially when it's in the
on-but-no-POST state.

After ~hour:

VCORE 1.61v
VCCVID 1.84v
3.3v 3.28v
+5v 4.94v
+12v 11.71v
-12v -11.78v
voltage battery 3.26v
CPU 49C
system 36C
CPU fan 2960rpm

Is this ok?
==
GZ

Old November 25th 03, 10:57 AM
kony

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:31:05 GMT, Grigory Zaigralin
wrote:

kony wrote:
Does your motherboard BIOS or WIndows utility show good voltage
levels? If you can check the voltage on the power supply leads with a
voltage meter that'd be good to do too, especially when it's in the
on-but-no-POST state.

After ~hour:

VCORE 1.61v
VCCVID 1.84v
3.3v 3.28v
+5v 4.94v
+12v 11.71v
-12v -11.78v
voltage battery 3.26v
CPU 49C
system 36C
CPU fan 2960rpm

Is this ok?
==
GZ

Those voltages are usually close enough to allow proper function, are
within the ATX spec, but in my experience having a 12V read that load
is borderline. That would be when read with a voltage meter, the 12V
reading is often low in the motherboards' BIOS or windows utility
when the level coming from the power supply is correct.

If the system were in front of me I'd swap in a different power
supply, and even if it didn't work still I'd leave the other power
supply in it because the original isn't very good.

Dave

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Proposed System Thunder9 General 80 October 14th 03 02:50 PM
Unexpected system switch off Tony Cooper General 3 September 8th 03 06:21 AM
dead win2k system paulwatt General 0 September 6th 03 05:56 PM
System temps Ed Coolidge General 2 August 20th 03 05:22 AM